Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy I wasn't aware of being used against me

Options
  • 14-01-2022 6:38pm

Joined organisation X in 2021. Sent a plethora of documents, policies etc. Contract, staff handbook+ 2 other documents refer to sick leave entitlements. I went through these with a fine tooth comb.

Developed an illness, quite a serious one,almost 6 months on, certified sick leave for a number of weeks. Call from HR, btw because you're on probation, your entitlement is slashed so half of sick leave taken will be at half pay. This was NOWHERE in any of the documents I got or have seen in all my time.

To be honest, if I'd found out while I was out, I would have bullied the doctor to let me back earlier and maybe not be here to write this post. But it's causing me major stresses at the moment, I can't afford any reduction in pay.

Can they use a policy they never gave me against me in this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 wandering monk

some policies are on you to look up, most large companies have thousands of pages of internal policies, in many cases you only need them when you need them, but usually you sign off on acceptance of all when you sign your contract (at least in my experience).

Official state policy on sick leave only changed last year, up to that companies did not have to pay any sick leave at all, the state paid it to you.

Get well soon

Thanks. My point is that I've 4 documents detailing sick leave policy, but now it appears a 5th document exists that totally changes the landscape. I did ask hr when I was sending in my certs if there was anything else I needed or needed to know about and they said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

To be honest, if you are sick for work and unable to work, then you are sick for work, and the policy or pay level should not really be a factor in when you return to work. Your fitness to work should solely determine this and whether you are on half pay or full sick pay, this should not be a factor and HR may well argue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you're on probation, you have almost zero rights, so whether they shared the policy or not, you'll find it very difficult to hit back at them for this. You'll probably have to suck it up, but maybe give the HR team some constructive feedback about the poor comms.

Even if these docs weren't shown to you at the time, they still apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

so did the company pay you at full pay and then months later demand the money back? If so, sounds like they are trying to encourage you to leave.

You might be entitled money via the PRSI sickness benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Count yourself lucky they kept you at all, you were on probation, they could have easily let you go at that point

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just be aware, this bill hasn't yet been passed, so employers still do not have to pay sick pay by law.

Advertisement