Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ah, the comment seemed like a bit of a jab. Sorry but we always on edge here 🙂.

A modern example would be the bridge of peace on the mtkvari in Georgia, or the peace bridge in Calgary. Our river is a bit more of a bridge to cross due to the length though! Maybe we get a free roof if we add "peace to the name".

As for the submissions. Isn't it approved by ABP? I.e. no more submissions?

The design of the peace bridge in Calgary would mitigate that.

Feeling warm and protected just looking at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Valhalla90

Honestly it would look awful after a few years as these things in Ireland unfortunately do not get the upkeep required. A bridge with some sort of wind shield or breaker is our best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

If there's one thing Irish people love to complain about its the weather. Statistically Ireland gets less rain than the Netherlands, Denmark, and other Baltic countries yet somehow they seem to manage. And the East & South East coasts gets less rain than the west so we are even lower than the Irish average.

Roof would be pretty cool and welcome on the days that we do have rain but you would probably have to make it big enough for buses as its a sustainable transport bridge and not just walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Ha ha, this argument is bordering on ludicrous now. Sorry is ludicrous.

What argument? The sheltering on the bridge?

Hardly a ludicrous suggestion.....

We have the added scourge of consistently high winds. Rainfall is much higher in Waterford than most places in Copenhagen. Waterford is about 10% wetter than even the wettest place in Denmark!

Asking people to just accept the weather is not the way to go. We need to make the city centre experience as pleasant as possible. This in theory should get more people in town, spending money and creating vibrancy even on the crappy days. It might also make Waterford more appealing for people that are from Italy, Germany, Spain, Southern USA and not use to the dampness.

The first thing a tourist will do when getting off a train is cross that bridge. If its a wet and windy day, well then we have gotten off to a very bad start haven't we!

Yes upkeep on these things is usually terrible, but we shouldn't decide to not do something based on the assumption thay we can't look after it. We need to strive to do better!

It needs to have significant wind shielding across the entire length of the bridge as a minimum. This is probably as much as we can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Rustyman101

another nail in the coffin of waterford city, when this gets the go ahead, foot-fall from Waterford to fill the coffers of kilkenny with rates money. Phil & JP must be having some laugh.

Was down in Cork the weekend, the development on the way into the city is unreal all along the Quay, we can't get a tin shed in a decade.

Helicopter next for the chop, then ah sure no point in having an airport, not that tis funded anyways.

Yeah things looking up alright.

• Advertisement

And all the money will end up in the coffers of KK CC!

If this does open up and take footfall out of the city centre, then WD City Council will have well and truly failed the city. But sure what do they care, half of em don't even live in town!

Well think about it would you build another shopping centre on the north Quay, if there was another one opened 200 meters up the road, whole boundary debacle was a joke, only in Waterford, we want a 24 hour cath lab but the commission says no you don't need it.

ok we'll extend the boundary, mmm commission says yes but now the commission is wrong so let's overule that decision, never forget FG, FF and our very own MB for agreeing not to extend! By the way I'm not a SF voter either I'm at a loss who to vote for , Matt maybe he seems to make noises.

I really can't see anything happening in the NQs for the foreseeable future unfortunately, hope I'm wrong but history shows otherwise......

Mary Butler will have to take some serious responsibility if this has a negative impact on the City Centre.

She called to house last election, I suggested she should be over in kilmacow, sweet Jesus the standard of representation in Waterford is chronic, mulligan would have been a better bet for the city, anyway that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Valhalla90

MB is party first she showed us that when she went against the city boundary extension. Personally I believe this place will never open as it was planned on the retail scale of things. The place is huge and will not be able to get the stores and footfall to make it successful. Dunnes knows its a loss maker and has fought for year's to avoid going in there, can't see anyone else taking the risk. Ideal outcome would be some sort of FDI investment or use as a TUSE campus.

As a Kilkenny resident of Ferrybank I firmly believe the boundary extension should have gone through. KCC have left Ferrybank behind and have no interest in the place. At least if it came under the boundary of Waterford there would be better hope of integrating the area into the city better and we would have more hope of joined up solutions on public transport etc.

Unfortunately parish pump politics, infighting, and the unwillingness of KK/WFD politicians to 'lose face' to each other is holding back the south east again.

Pity there isn't a few more like you, your spot on with your synopsis, SE is being left so far behind.

As I said earlier my little trip to Cork the weekend was an eye opener as to where we are in the scheme of things, begging for crumbs

Many people in Waterford would want to go to the other cities but also UCC, NUIG and UL to see just how far behind we are.

I feel like many have no fuppin idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I have always been very positive about Waterford and its prospects. But the simple fact of the matter is national politics is actively working to hold Waterford back, simple as that. Don’t know how anybody can look at what happens and not come to that conclusion. How can Waterford progress when it just keeps running into this barrier. The question is then what can be done about it? I personally don’t know at this stage.

We had a chance to level up with the North Quays and that ship has now sailed (for the moment).

It needs to be done soon and it needs to be done right. I fear that the council's downgrading of the plans will keep Waterford on the downward trajectory relative to the other cities for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement

The only thing that can be done is a change in political representation across the board, and I don't mean vote in SF and everything will be ok, it definitely won't!

We need people in the corridors of power with Waterford 1st on their agenda.

Not the current mix of hicks and boot-lickers.

I got johnos pothole fixed in strabally, nothing wrong that but I was against the boundary extension cos mick said no.

JD in dungarvan seemingly did great work for irish immigrants in USA, fab maybe do something here and we wouldn't have so many !

Now how we get 3 or 4 decent representatives is a mystery ?

Plus all the in fighting between KK, WX & WD.

Like it or not WD is the capital city of the SE.

It's not treated as such by local or national politicians until that mindset changes we are goosed, which we are by the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Wait till you see WIT's downward trajectory over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

So I see the North Quays is now a shoddy looking used car lot that looks like something out of a 1970s American cop show.

What's the latest plan?

Plan? Waterford Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 swiftmampi

Eddie Mulligan will fund it with that €5 million he owes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Welcome back vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mad Peggy

she is a very nice lady she has called to my door a few times and is lovely to talk to

• Advertisement

Didn't she have a convicted sex offender or someone campaigning for her during the last election? And wasn't she caught rotten laughing on Facebook at people who brought it up?

Advertisement