Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redoing IBT & First Bike

Options
  • 03-01-2022 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi All.

Happy new year! I did the IBT in Autumn 2019 with Airport motor school, it was ok. I didn't think the training was that good - i think the varying levels of experience across the group maybe left the guys a little stretched on the day. Between getting a house & covid - I just never got around to getting the bike. I know I only need to do Module 5 again, but am booked in for full IBT later this month with Eric Dalton (I see comes highly recommended here) - which was my own decision in the interest of safety. So I'm looking forward to that and the IBT is done on the CB600F, which is a bike I see suggested to start off with in any case.

My next question is, ideally, I would like at some point in my life to have a Harley - a sportster I have looked at before (was tempted to do the IBT initially with HD in Dublin, until I seen sense!) - but I realise that buying a bike that I'm likely to drop, damage first time round isn't a good idea? & then there's people who tell you they've never dropped the bike & buy what you want. Thoughts? I think I know the answer to this already, anyway. Also, without access to UK, bikes have gotten quite expensive eh! I've seen the thread on importing from Europe, probably makes no sense for first bike - but process is good to know.

Any recommendations for first bike? There's probably no point in getting anything other than an A bike, then can buy what I want when I'm experienced enough & passed test. Lastly, any reccomendations for places for good gear - think i'd rather buy in person than online, but open to website suggestions too?

Thanks,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

You will most likely drop your first bike. Also depending on the category of test your doing, you can't do the full A license on quite a few Harleys even though they're 800cc +.

The sporter 883 is only 35kw so it doesn't meet the requirements.

I'd buy locally as well since this is your first bike, you would want to inspect the bike in person and make sure you're comfortable with how it feels. Theres alot of variation on bike riding styles as well as what they are good at.

I prefer adventure style bikes as theyre comfortable and most are built to be good for long distance touring and going onto **** roads, or no roads at all.

For a first bike, get a nice Jap bike, Honda or Suzuki

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-shadow-vt1100/30020383

This is 58.4kw, but I'd check with insurance for a quote first.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Yeah, that's correct. Sportster will only get you A2, if restricted. So better off passing the test on something else, then looking to a Harley perhaps. I do like the adventure bikes, anything you'd recommend here? iirc I think Airport school used the BMW 650gs as one of the bikes on IBT. Was nice.

Yeah, i've been given that exact advice already, easier fixed etc - least something like the shadow would be similar riding style & weight. Thanks.

Wasn't a red 650gs by any chance? think a friend of mine did his IBT in the same spot.

I bought a 650gs for my first bike two years ago, 2012 model. They're a pretty solid bike and use alot of parts the F800 does. I'd be confident taking it across Europe, but my next trip is hopefully on a RS i'm rebuilding.

My only issue with modern bikes like the GS is they're not as easily roadside serviceable.

I did a trip last summer on a DR650se and I could basically strip down and rebuild it if I had to with the tool kit I brought since it was carbs and no ECU.

I was mostly offroad though so it was a needed factor. I did have to rebuild my brakes coming into Switzerland though as moisture got into the master cylinder

Yeah, a red one with the airport driving school logo. Must be the same. Tbh can’t recall how long I spent on it that day, if I even did get on it. Was on a Suzuki Gsx 650 as far as I remember.

that sounds class but tbh I wouldn’t have a ducking clue where to start with rebuilding or fixing things - but I guess I’d be willing to learn.

had thrown in a few quotes on Carole Nash there for some bikes 250cc-800cc and quotes are all about €900-€1000 for fully comp. My mate was insured on Fazer last year €600 fully comp and some gear included too. Will give them a ring when I see something I’m sold on.

Looking forward to the IBT again - reviews on Dalton Motorcycle training are class.

• Advertisement

Adventure bikes tend to have a high insurance rate. I was €800 TPFT

This year im €600 for three bikes fully comp. Also depends on location and all sorts of stuff unfortunatly.

Eric is meant to be one of the best for lessons, has a lovely T700 too

Heading out tomorrow to have a look at this, anything i should look for in specifically in cbf600? Will bring Father in law with me if going ahead with it to check it out before deal goes through, he fixes and maintains his own bikes years now. Thanks lads.

Also, thoughts on fully comp vs TPFT?

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2011-honda-cbf-600-s-abs-negotiable/30057242

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

They are brilliant I had one for 2 years best first bike I could have owned. Never had any issues with it.

Thanks Grim Reaper, looking forward to going and having a look. Lots of 05/06 ones been on Done Deal the last while not far priced off this - not sure if tha ya inflated market or this being underpriced! Hopefully will look as clean as it does in the pictures tomorrow in person. Have read a lot about it being the perfect starter bike so here’s hoping I’ve stumbled upon something great and I get that feeling when I see it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ad says "Suitable for leaner" ! 😀

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Was going to go and buy that CBF600 tomorrow (was bringing father in law to give it the once over!) and just got a text to say he’s sold it today. :-(

back to looking. Any other bikes I should be looking at? I really liked the feel of that CBF. Insurance was quoted €740 for TPFT.

IBT on Thursday with Eric Dalton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You could do worse than ask Eric if he knows of anything decent for sale. He wouldn’t steer you wrong

Cheers lads. Went to a few dealers today - Bikeworld - didn't have much, what they did have was of the higher price category and what i'll look towards after I get my license.

City Spares, nice lads, very honest. Had gone to see some Bandits they had on Done Deal (link below) - it was nice, 40 odd thousand km's. 3.5k was asking price. No electronic displays - gear indicators etc - was showing me a GSR 2008 for 4200 - photos of both bikes below.

Cotters sent me up the road to a Craig, now operating from his house in Ballymount - nice selection of bikes - only had CBF500 really that's suitable for me, but wouldn't do for the A license.

Seen the below - not much to be seen online re the below dealer, worth a look? Seems priced low in comparison to what i've seen?

Consensus was amongst them to be weary of private sales, a lot of crap out there that's requiring a few hundred quids worth of work - at least a dealer will do majority of it before selling it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abmoto

Thanks for documenting this journey to a new bike. Learning from threads similar to this as I plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

€4200 for a 2008 GSR? That sounds very steep to me.

I have a 2015 CBR650F which I would estimate to sell at around €5k, are dealers making that much of a markup on bikes.

Even if a private sale needed a few hundred quid of work it would be cheaper than what some dealers are quoting, don't assume they are giving the bike a full workover when they sell it.

Few garages I have dealt with literally just give the bikes a wash before putting them back on sale, they only change something if a prospective buyer spots it and wants it done before purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

This very much so ,its sales speak and of course they want you to buy from them , rather than private seller . I've no problem buying from a dealer but once you know what you are looking for /at dont rule out private sellers either.

Thanks - totally get it. But a gander around done deal will see similar age bikes going for this and more…it’s a sellers market for sure.

First day of IBT done today - great day. A world of difference to my previous experience, Eric Dalton & team really are a joy. They care so much & genuinely want you to be able to ride as best as you can and as safely - not just a business. Looking forward to tomorrow. Doing it on a CBF600, very enjoyable too. Forgiving and has a good bit to give when required.

Advertisement