Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just making it clearer what I meant. The new state seriously considered moving the Capital to Athlone but the CS shot it down just like decentralization recently. To think it can only be Dubliin in this day and age (Probably a change after a UI) is truly Dublincentric thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Decentralisation was tried and failed. None of them wanted to move from the capital and they still don't. Aside from that, building all the infrastructure again in another town is stupid. Airport, docks, government buildings, public transport, housing etc... Dublin City is the capital and always will be. Appointing another capital would be impossibly expensive and a foolish vanity project based on nothing but begrudgery and bitterness. As I said, farcical.

Never really tried at all. The CS went so slow as to made it unworkable. As for 'them' not wanting to move of course they didn't as they were either from Dublin or there so long they forgot where they came from. Dublin is bursting at the seams more building is needed anyway why not elsewhere? It would also be a shot in the arm for whereever it is based. As for Docks? for a Capital..

Totally an example of Dublin centric thinking that I have encountered there several times in the past.

They're there so long because their families are in Dublin, their kids, schools, their communities, their GAA clubs, Scout dens, friends, social spheres... So Dublin's bursting at the seams, lets move it all to somewhere that has less housing, less amenities, no airport, no government buildings, no embassies, no public transport, no light rail, no business districts...

Lets spend trillions upheaving millions of settled families to build a new capital because someone on the internet thinks everything is too Dublin centric. Let's move aras an uachtarain too, and the zoo!

(feel free to zone in on the zoo to make my argument silly)

Farcical.

No need. Just keep building Dublin bigger and bigger is your solution instead of doing it somewhere else. Anyway I'm far from the only one on the internet or in real life who thinks this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How many countries decided for the craic to move / change capitals ? If it’s been done, why was it ? A handful only

if you made Limerick ‘the capital’ tomorrow, it would solve none of Dublins problems….none of this country’s problems… aside from cheering a few people up who would be it as ‘one in the eye’ for Dublin. They don’t need a new capital they need lengthy psychological assistance….expensive but cheaper then changing capitals.

Dublin and it’s surrounding environs are the major urban population centre with proper transport links to support the running of the country.

if we change the capital to Limerick I want Termonfeckin to become a county in itself… and an airport built in Nobber…

“ I’m flying into Nobber, has a certain ring to it “.

’Nobber International’… you wouldn’t know whether that was an airport or a Eurovision entrant.

Things I like about Dublin: The aesthetics around Government Buildings, St. Stephen's Green, Dame St., the two cathedrals, Temple Bar, Dublin Castle. I enjoyed showing my wife around those areas, and the tours were excellent. 

But on the whole I despise Dublin. I wouldn't live there again if you paid me.

There are a few reasons:

The predominant Dublin accent and slang sickens me (i.e. the 'Fair City' lilt and deeper shades of the accent, such as you hear in Finglas, Coolock and such. For example "me mo'h" when referring to a girlfriend, or "doortburd" when one reprobate speaks disapprovingly of another reprobate). I find it shockingly brutish. I accept that this is on me and has nothing to do with whether or not Dublin itself is a hole. Still, you could find yourself in a beautifully designed and decorated room, all of which counts for nothing if the room is permeated by a foul odor that won't clear. The accent is a bit like that to me.

The violent tenor of life in much of working class Dublin. As a student, I lived there at the turn of the century and did some security work at the weekends with a bunch of Dubs who were older than me. They were from Finglas, Coolock, Sheriff St., and places like that. They were not quite the scum of the earth, but the cocktail of the accent, the violence, the hatred of the Gardai, the drink culture, the tricolour tattoos and the rebel songs combined to alienate me completely.

This isn't a case of me not liking the working man. Down the country I know plenty of working class people; the Dubs were a totally different category. Granted I was an 18 year old from rural Munster coming from a farming background, having up 'til then spent my free time fishing in quiet rivers, walking through the fields and meadows with my friends on long summer evenings; occasionally watching badger or fox cubs play close to large hedgerows at 10 o clock on a June night; sitting under ancient lime and oak trees reading books, and chatting with old country men you'd meet on the roads or at a gate to a field along some tree-lined lane with grass growing in the middle.

Moving to and working in Dublin was the biggest culture shock I've ever experienced, and I have since lived in the Middle East and India. Dublin was somehow Ireland, yet it resembled nothing -- and I really mean nothing -- of the Ireland that I had known up to that point. And this isn't a case of an innocent country lad moving to the big smoke and getting a land - because I later left Dublin and moved to Cork city and lived there in the city center for eight years and loved it. Cork had none of the sinister vibes that I felt every single day in Dublin. And Cork still felt very much like the Ireland I grew up in. The people were gentler, milder, more soft spoken, more connected with the land on which their city sits.

The junkies and the general sinister nature of the scobes on the street and on public transport are another factor. Copious numbers of ghouls roaming around in their appalling track-suits with an unmistakably evil, low intelligence look on their faces. I can't fathom people who say you find the same thing everywhere. You absolutely do not.

Lastly, I would say that the built environment on the whole is bleak, gray and ugly. The rooftops are horrible. (In other European cities, rooftops are generally beautiful and uniform) The streets have almost no trees, or what trees there are (outside of a few well known roads such as Griffith Avenue, North Circular Rd, etc) are just whippy things along grey corridors of misery. It sprawls, too. 

I apologize if I've offended anyone but this was my lived experience over three bleak years.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Dublin is my city of birth, the Orphanage was on the south side out past American embassy. Found it last time in Ireland. Spent time in Temple bar and around Central city

.found people friendly, a lot of Brazilians . Hope to be back later this year. Love my birthplace..

Nope, nobody said just keep building Dublin bigger and bigger, just you. Most people agree that Dublin needs massive investment and improvement... again, I'll repeat... the city needs a metro police force and the country needs a transport police force.

Anyway, I think you're fairly much on your own regarding moving the capital. Stupid post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Dublin is a beautiful city with all the features that a major city should have. It suffers from littering, questionable planning and a lack of ambition, though. This thread is a great example of why Dublin often feels like it's neglected by planners https://twitter.com/DaraghCassidy/status/1444426775124119556

He reckons Dublin was a bigger culture shock than India? I seriously doubt he's been to one of the big Indian cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Yes, and I wouldn't even go as far as to say it's a beautiful city - but it's a fun, lively city with a good atmosphere and good food. Not a cultural hub of other European cities but that's mostly down to the history of this country. Poor planning has really let it down, like most of this country. And at the moment it has become prohibitively expensive. Dublin was in sweet spot from about 2014 to 2019 (for me, I've lived here since 2008) - things had come out of the recession gloom and had reinvented itself away from the tackier elements of the Celtic Tiger, the food and bar scene was thriving, people had money again and things had not gotten too expensive.

• Advertisement

Oh I have been.

The thing about India is that you expect it to be different. I didn’t expect Dublin, the capital city of my country, to be so different from the rest of Ireland. That was the shock. It didn’t feel remotely like the rest of Ireland to me.

Sounds like you’ve got PTSD.

Worst three years of my life. Catching the 40 bus each morning outside Glasnevin Cemetery, often with crematorium smells and petrol fumes in the air, looking across at the scum bags in the estate opposite, who once launched a firework horizontally at me and a few others who were waiting there. Cycling up the grey, windswept, leafless and featureless Whitworth Road each Saturday and Sunday morning. Plodding up to Tesco in the repulsive Phibsboro shopping center. Walking from Busaras up to Parnell Square on a winters night the odd time I’d return after a rare weekend home. Pure misery. Peig had it easy.

• Did you do nothing nice in the city? Your choice to be honest so tough.
    • Should have done the cemetery tour. It's amazing
    • Should have gone to the botanic gardens.
    • Read Peig again. You'll find you had it easy, you just made a misery of it cause you were homesick.

I lived there for three years, of course I went to the Bots and did the various tours and experiences across the city. Even saw the medieval bodies of the nun and crusader in the coffins of that church before some loon wrecked them.

I never said there was nothing to do. I said I hated living there. Big difference. I wasn’t homesick by the way.

Did you live in Phibsborough for three years as a young man? It's a cracking place to live for a singleton. I know plenty that lived there and had an absolute ball. Sounds like you were a homesick Frank McCourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's just in the blood of many of you rural folk to just utterly despise Dublin and people from Dublin, I don't think there's any point trying to convince you Dublin isn't so bad.

That does sounds bleak. But Dublin is big. Those areas are a big distance from my experience growing up on the south side.

I do agree re "Leafless" though. Dublin needs more trees. All the best urban streets have trees. Yes it needs a bit of maintenance. So come up a tree tax of a euro per month per person. Most people wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m originally from the West. I’ve lived in Dublin intermittently since I was 17, over twenty years ago. I like Dublin and have had some incredible times here. I like Dubliners and I feel that they are less judgmental than people from the rest of the country.

However, I will point out that many of those ‘rural folk’ have lived abroad in cities they believe to be superior to Dublin. I don’t agree with them, but they do have a frame of reference. These are not the toothless yokels that your characterization implies. They are entitled to their opinion, no matter how misguided you (and I) believe it to be.

I do agree that the incessant whining about Dublin is not only inaccurate, but incredibly tiresome.

Have to say that I’ve never been a fan of Phibsborough and never had any desire to live there. Having said that, I’ve enjoyed many a late night session in ‘McGowans’!

I lived in that general area from age 18-21 back around 1999-2002. I was doing a course and was by far the youngest student. That didn’t help.

I’ve since lived very happily in Cork, Madrid, Nuremberg, (not so happily in Mumbai) and Dubai. My work has also caused me to spend significant time in Cincinnati, Tokyo, and Bratislava. I’ve lived in cities for most of my life at this stage despite rustic beginnings. Sick for the fields of home I was not. And I have something to compare Dublin to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You should write a book on your miserable Dublin experiences - it could be titled “Country Boy Lost in Dirty Dublin: Tomalak’s Trauma” 😁😜

Could be a bestseller...

In my 17 years on Boards, a lot of things have changed over the years - but one thing that stays the same is a hatred of Dublin by many country people. It’s the same in other countries all around the world - a love/hate relationship with their capital cities. Dublin has many serious, deep-seated problems as I opined earlier in this thread - but many in here perceive the city to be some sort of complete hellhole which it is not.

In the UK, many Brits who hark from the North of England/West Country/Wales/Scotland/Midlands despise London and Londoners, for example.

Not in my blood. I said I got a shock. I got a shock because I was expecting to like my country’s capital, and my uncle, who is just a few years older than me, liked the place and had me excited about moving there. I fully expected to like it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

I liked the Gravediggers and had many a great carvery in Tolka House and Dollymount something or other on a Sunday. Used to enjoy a chat with the proprietor of Fortes Chipper (gone at this stage I think) at the top of the Whitworth Road too. But Phibsborough and the Finglas Road area in general was a soul destroying concrete dystopia for 19 year old me.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Lived in a few rural areas in the UK then a few in Ireland which were terrible and just misery... Eventually moved to Dublin and in honesty I think its just fine. I dont live directly in the city centre, its a good few LUAS stops out but very often on a weekend we jump into the smoke and have a day out.

Yep, there are issues and in fairness I get depressed seeing the homeless struggling in the evenings but I can't fix that... And the gangs of dickheads wandering around in the grey tracksuits, they're in every city these days.

I'll take a trip into the centre and enjoy it, I like the place and 100% don't look at it with green tinted glasses being from the UK

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. You made me chuckle, J :-)

I do truly think that I carry some sort of trauma over my time in Dublin. And it wasn’t me. It was me in that physical place.

Even today, twenty years later, I feel very uncomfortable in Dublin and I wouldn’t dream of going near my old stomping grounds. I just looked them all up on Streetview and it brought it all back. Good lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lived in London for years. Anyone I knew from other parts of England loves it, everyone loves London, it's an amazing city.

If there isn't anything done Dublin will keep getting bigger and bigger and more unmanageable that's a fact. I'm not saying it doesn't need improvement and I ran a thread a while back and most were not in favour of Dublin as the 'new' Capital of Ireland (even if it had the higest score of the candidates given).

He got it right. Open mind and positive attitude.

Dublin is the capital. Nobody wants to spent trillions making another one, won't happen, get over it, move on, build a bridge.

I love when somebody says "that's a fact " in a thread.

Me too. Pretty sure I'm right here. Do you think Belfast will want to be second fiddle to Dublin under a UI?

No , I'd say they'd prefer Roscommon or Athy ,thats a fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In my 17 years on Boards, a lot of things have changed over the years - but one thing that stays the same is a hatred of Dublin by many country people. It’s the same in other countries all around the world - a love/hate relationship with their capital cities.

Yep. Dubs and extroverts. The hate is strong. An extroverted Dubliner would have some rocking back and forth in their chairs.😂 Haven't been back on the thread for a while and it's still the same. Bogger's gonna bog. And before some of the up for de match brigade have an oul conniption over the term, it's only applicable to a deeply insecure minority of non Dubliners(and an even sadder minority bunch of Dubliners). A loud minority mind you. And while I've heard similar from some overseas towards their 'townies' I've personally rarely encountered it to the degree Dublin gets it.

It's long been the case. If anything I'd say it's eased off. The old Union Jackeens behind the Pale kowtowing to 'De Brits' is a large part of it. Though when the queen of England showed up here she was whisked at high speed through Dublin streets far away from the locals, but got a walkabout in Cork. Another part of it is while urban centres got a few quid down the centuries rural areas were often appallingly underfunded and ignored and seen as a primitive backwater because of the same English rule.

Since independence again Dublin tended to get a lot of investment and it grew rapidly, ironically because of a mass influx into the city by people from the countryside. The percentage of 'pure' Dubs is low enough these days. Which in turn meant more investment because of the population growth. Badly managed population growth and unbelieveably retarded urban planning, or lack of it.

As you said the city does have some serious problems that are long overdue a solution, but the hellhole it is pictured as is beyond daft, unless you're one of those well balanced chip on both shoulders boggers I referenced previously. If Dublin turned into the greatest city on earth tomorrow, they'd still be whinging about something. The appalling accents no doubt. That seems to rile them up something fierce. It's not as if there aren't a few rural accents that make the speaker sound like they were dropped on their heads as a baby.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just reading that Clerys development has two so called "upmarket" tenants now. Maybe that'll raise the tone a bit lol. Also Moore Street/Carlton is going ahead which hopefully will vastly improve that end of the wasteland.

What I think could be improved is the incentivisation of outdoor coffee/eats. There is nothing like a few umbrellas and tables to instantly make a place look great. Think of O'Connell Street, vast wide pavements and a central median with.... nothing but pedestrians and Luas and bus stops. Sad isn't it. Look I know the doom mongers will say "ah jasus you couldn't sit outside there you'd be demented with the tappers" etc. but sometimes a different approach/use of a street makes its own success. Anyway tappers would need a card machine these days as few carry cash anymore.

There are hardly any cafes with outdoor seating in -

O'Connell Street

Grafton Street

Dame Street

St Stephen's Green and etc. and so on. I think it would make a huge difference to introduce it where feasible. But that's the thing, it takes so long to get any imaginative thing done in Dublin, you would despair. It took the pandemic to allow and encourage outdoor seating but really only in Capel, Parliament, and Sth. William Streets, good as that is. It should be far more widespread and encouraged. And they are still wrangling over the Plaza at Trinity. Honestly.

I agree that Metro police and Transport police are vital now, so get on with it please.

I suppose we cannot for a minute mention moving homeless out of their tents on the main thoroughfares and clean the place up, because that would be so non woke and non PC, but hang on, surely there are more homeless charidees than tents now and no one is obliged to sleep on the streets. Policy and a quality of life for ALL should be the mantra, not for the few who should not be there. DCC and their by laws huh.

So folks, Dublin has great potential but (sorry now) appears to have a load of homesick resentful boggers running it who don't care much about us really. If it's not them it's the lefties and SF who are against everything and for nothing just because they can.

I will await developments and am hopeful for improvement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Excellent post pilgrim....clean capped most of the major issues...the centre of a capital city should be commercial oriented ...not a fcuckin museum run by non commercial drones .

Most especially not the relatives of any particular clique ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@saabsaab Get on to Musk or Bezos to relocate Dublin to the Moon - or maybe Mars. Would that be far enough away for you?

Not your ornery onager

You'll actually find there's incessant whining about Dublin, Cork and Limerick. Ireland has a huge anti-urban bias and you really notice it if you've moved back here form somewhere else.

Galway escapes by being in "the West" and Waterford seems to not register.

Much easier for me to move! Anyway what would take its place?

• Advertisement

Can't say I have ever heard an Irish person complaining about Cork or Limerick very much. In my place of employment, we hire graduates from all around the country, with many who studied in UCC, CIT, or UL. The feedback I hear pretty consistently is that many of them would have preferred to stay in Cork or Limerick (even if not originally from there), rather than relocate to Dublin. However, most of them are pragmatic and understand that the opportunities for career growth and to increase their earning potential, only exist in Dublin.

Interestingly, the complaints I have heard about regional cities have been from foreigners / immigrants / ex-pats. I know several who moved to Ireland to work in Cork, Limerick etc.. but re-located to Dublin within a year or two. Most common reasons for doing so were that they found the locals cliquey and couldn't form friendships; there were few, if any of their fellow nationals there; found the place too small and provincial; lack of access to an airport with really good connectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No don't do that. The moon might get angry and retaliate by crashing into the earth like that new film Moonfall. 🤣

You should see some of the stuff written about Cork online at times. I remember during floods people posting things about how they hoped it sank and all sorts of stuff and they weren’t from Dublin either. Mostly seemed to be from the midlands.

Limerick gets ripped into all the time - people going on about it being a dump, stab city etc mostly by people who’ve never set foot in it.

If someone dropped their pants and took a **** beside ya when walking you'd think that's normal now because of the heroin constipation. I've often walked past human ****. Its a weekly occurence now really.

I'd rather chop off my arm than live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Some of Dublin city centre is a rough filthy kip, it's clear to see. Last time I was there was October because I avoid it. I went through it on a bus from the airport and saw a scobe lying on the ground out of it by the Halfpenny bridge with two Guards standing over him and walking dead junkies hanging around looking on. A lovely sight for tourists arriving to the city! The quays looked grey, dirty and half deserted. A huge change from beautiful vibrant Amsterdam I had left where I've never felt unsafe and the only antisocial behaviour I've ever seen are English louts and other tourists not being able to hold their drink.

For me the biggest difference between Dublin and other cities in Europe I've lived is you had to go outside the city centre to a suburb to find any problem areas (except Stuttgart which I found extremely safe apart from a few dodgy looking types that never bothered me at the train stations), whereas in Dublin there are some safe areas in the city and others I won't go near even in daylight. Also the junkies, alcoholics and homeless are much more apparent in Dublin. In other cities I've lived the police don't allow them sleep in doorways or pester people and anti-social behaviour is swiftly dealt with.

Of course there are cities across Europe and the US with many problems, but should we be satisfied to be "no worse than them" or should we be comparing ourselves to the cleanest safest cities elsewhere in Europe and aiming to be as good as them?

Personally I would not live in Dublin if I was given a 10 bed mansion in Howth because much of the city centre and public transport is no-go as a lone female at night especially so what's the point when I have to be always on guard and watch where I go there? For when I want a safe city experience I wait to go back to Germany, Netherlands or Sweden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement