Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Twenty year anniversary of CZW's Answering The Challenge.

Coming off the success of Cage of Death III in Dec '01, Justice Pain issued an open challenge in front of a rapturous Philly crowd at the ECW arena.

Messiah, a California standout, debuts on the East Coast and in the process sets himself up for a run as one of CZW's biggest names for the following 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matt Cardona is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After posting about PCO in the Royal Rumble thread, I was wondering who has left WWE and come back under the name/character he developed on the indies? I know EC3 could be one but he was still pretty much developmental when he left. Drew went away as Galloway and came back resuming the McIntyre name. John Morrison went and came back resuming his WWE name.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

I know Bobby Roode done some dark WWE stuff in the early 00's before being signing with TNA full time

K-Kwik left in 2002, returning as Ron 'R-Truth' Killings in 2008 (What's UP!!!)

Can't think of any more off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It is so strange looking back at Cena/Rock feud from 10 years ago.

Cena thought he would never leave the business, now look where he is at now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Cedric von Hausen, the Liechtenstein champion came back as Johnny Gargano 😀

Ah forgot about K-Kwik.

I guess Kevin Nash and Scott Hall would kinda count as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Albert/ ATrain coming back as Tensai.

Crowd jumped on that very quickly!

Demotion Axe coming back as the Repo Man?

One man gang become Akeem?

*edit just seen you said developed on the indies....

Broken Matt maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of the 1997 royal rumble which was live from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This is the one won by Austin after he was thrown out of the ring but came back in and won, which lead to the fatal four way the next month.

Tomorrow is also the 30th anniversary of my favourite royal rumble, the “it’s not fair to flair” edition aka the 1992 royal rumble. The match was great and also Bobby Heenan and gorilla monsoon were perfect on commentary.

Because it happens in and around my birthday I’ve always had a fondness for this event, more so than even mania.

Tonight is the twentieth anniversary of the 2002 royal rumble which was held in Atlanta, at the then brand new Phillips arena. Triple H returned to win the rumble and then their was the stuff with angle after that. We had the match between flair and vince which like most Vince matches was better then it had right to be. We had the return of Mr Perfect to WWF and we had the moment we probably all remember which is maven from tough enough eliminating the undertaker and instantly regretting it and getting a tour of the Philips arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Road Warriors weren't big were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Animal was 6ft1 and Hawk was 6ft3 according to their Wiki pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They were also apparently from "parts unknown" but that doesn't mean its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's a laugh. How many times can you remember seeing Hull Hogan take a back bump?

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure if mentioned somewhere else here but Vinces mother died last night at the extremely impressive age of 101

Also didn't know Vinces brother died last year

Yes his brother died around this time last year.

I've been watching everything related to Wrestlemania 17 lately and it really was as close to PPV perfection as we'll ever see.

Long-term Austin turning heel was obviously a negative but short-term, it really was the perfect outcome.

We've had two night Wrestlemanias but that legitimately could have been a two night event.

Jericho vs. Regal went on second...

They could have packed out Rungrado 1st of May Stadium.

With Elimination Chamber only 2 weeks away, any word on if there will be another PPV/event before Mania?

Probably be a Takeover instead of main roster show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Fastlane not the usual PPV between the Chamber and Mania?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Reacher star Alan Ritchson looks like a version of Chris Jericho that was designed to Vince McMahon specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chris Jericho and Chris Hemsworth jammed into the machine from The Fly.

Stuck on the Benoit Dark Side of the Ring last night. Some bits felt odd between the religious aspect (mentioned straightaway to the cops before the welfare check) and then the texts to Chavo were just baffling. They seem like obvious suicide messages and considering he was crying uncontrollably in front of people and they knew he was a wreck it's crazy Chavo thought so little if them. Then he shows them to someone who cops what's happening yet the tribute show went ahead.

The tribute show is the bit that gets me though. I can't think Vince would knowingly put it out there. Even if he was close to Chris I don't see why he would let the company take a hit like that. But people backstage had big inklings about what had happened, weird Vince went for it anyway.

There seems to be awfully little ill will for Benoit based on most of the interviewees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's up in the air for as when wwe found out. But they knew before the show aired.

Christian said in a shoot he watched that tribute show live with Nova and when it came to Regal saying a few words he turned to nova (accordingly) and said "I think they just eulogized a murderer"

Here is the clip.

Regal knew. So wwe knew. Which is mental. Some argue maybe Regal just had a feeling.

Hornswoggle said everyone was at the arena during the day all dressed in suits cause it was to be vinces funeral. They were all about to rehearse the skit when a meeting was called to inform benoit had died. He says they were all sent out of the arena and most watched the show at the hotel. He does state tho that every 10 or 15 minutes new stuff was being texted around. If talent knew then at the very least wwe knew there was a possibility of benoit killing his family. But they went ahead with the show.

Chavo said he showed the texts to someone, that person's reaction was along the lines of "Ya dumb bastard" and they went off to get the ball rolling. I dunno, just odd. Maybe the ball was rolling and the people who had misgivings about opening their mouths just in case.

It’s hard to believe it’s 15 years ago this year. I’ve always said that Regal knew that something wasn’t right. Now I’m not saying he knew what was up but it’s clear he's choosing his words carefully.

It was mentioned the night before on the night of champions PPV that Benoit wasn’t there and that it was an emergency.

I have a vivid memory of raw opening and the camera starting up in high and switching to Vince in a light coloured suit.

my recollection is there were text messages with the house address and they their dogs were outside sent from both Chris and his wife Nancys phone. It was Chavo and Scott Armstrong that were mentioned and an unknown colleague(possibly regal?), and it was Johnny ace that Chavo showed the text messages to.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Listened to some of most recent Talk is Jericho. Once again Jericho platforming a conspiracy theorist with unhinged bizarre and dangerous thoughts. Didn’t think my respect for Jericho callus plummet more but here we are. On last nights dynamite he and Hager are dressed like typical MAGA heads who would probably stormed the capital. Find it all very unsettling and weird

What do people think about having Lesnar, Heyman and Ronda together?

• Advertisement

Admittedly I only pop in and out but why wasn't Becky vs. Lita saved for Wrestlemania?

Ronda is presumably facing Charlotte this year and they're building towards Becky vs. Rousey next year.

Advertisement