Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NFL Playoffs - Wildcard Round Thread

Options
  • 11-01-2022 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭

Saturday 9.30pm

Raiders @ Bengals

Saturday Night 1.15am

Patriots @ Bills

Sunday 6pm

Eagles @ Buccaneers

Sunday 9.30pm

49ers @ Cowboys

Sunday Night 1.15am

Steelers @ Chiefs

Monday Night 1.15am

Cardinals @ Rams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

great slate of games. the only teams you can back with any certainty are the chiefs and buccaneers. The rest could go either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love that the best game of the week is on Sunday at 9.30pm.

I'm not loving the 1am Monday night game, not great on this side of the world and I'm not sure if the winner will be guaenteed a Sunday game next week, you'd think they'd have to be scheduled for the Sunday.

Chiefs and Buccs do look likely winners but neither have been all that trustworthy lately, Tampa really struggled with the Jets and Kansas City's defense seems to be regressing at just the wrong time.

Patriots/Bills is really interesting, particularly as they've played twice quite late in the season. Bengals/Raiders go go either way as well, You'd have to fancy Cinci but the Raiders have won a load of games I thought they'd lose.

It's a really great set of wildcard matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Yeah I would have thought 2 triple headers would have been better but what ever way the schedule is set someone is going to get an extra days rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I think the Bengals thump the Raiders, the Patriots beat the Bills, the Bucs win a very low scoring game with a late field goal, the Cowboys win by a minimum of ten. Not sure about the other two, gotta think the Chiefs can get back to their best but they haven't looked good for a couple of weeks now. Rams Vs Cards is impossible to call, you don't know which Matt Stafford is going to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I really don’t understand how you can think the cowboys will win by a minimum of ten points. The cowboys defence gave up 17 points to mostly eagles back ups and have had some very up and down games. The Niners are the worst team the cowboys could be facing this weekend and I think the Niners could win if they lean on what they’ve done well down the stretch and let deebo run wild.

• Advertisement

The Cowboys will get to Jimmy G, that's why I see them winning big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

5 home wins, Patriots for the upset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Raiders @ Bengals

Patriots @ Bills

Eagles @ Buccaneers

49ers @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Chiefs

Cardinals @ Rams

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Don't usually play this game but think I'll give it a go for the playoffs as my attention span should last that long.

Raiders @ Bengals

Patriots @ Bills

Eagles @ Buccaneers

49ers @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Chiefs

Cardinals @ Rams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Raiders @ Bengals

Patriots @ Bills

Eagles @ Buccaneers

49ers @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Chiefs

Cardinals @ Rams

• Advertisement

Raiders @ Bengals 

Patriots @ Bills 

Eagles @ Buccaneers 

49ers @ Cowboys 

Steelers @ Chiefs 

Cardinals @ Rams

Well seeing as no O line is an impenetrable wall than yes the cowboys will put pressure and likely get to Jimmy G. Conversely, I can see the Niners D getting to dak and making it a rough night for him. I’m not saying the cowboys won’t win but my issue was you saying “by a minimum of ten points” as if the cowboys only winning by ten would be a disappointment. I think you’ve bought into the last game where they got a high score which is a misleading score imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers typically will get the ball out quick, short throws over the middle, screens, runs, jet sweep, etc. They don't do a whole lot of drop back passing. Even when down 17 last week they didn't get away from that game plan at all. I don't think the pass rush will be a huge issue.

I'd imagine what could torpedo the 49ers chances is turnovers. The 49ers are unbeaten this year when they don't turn it over and something like 2-5 when they have more than one turnover.

On the other side the big question is if the 49ers pass rush can get to Dak before he can exploit the weakness in the secondary.

Dallas haven't actually been all that good the 2nd half of the season and are 3-4 against playoff teams this season, with two of those wins against the Eagles.

I see it as being close and it comes down to SF interceptions and the success or otherwise of Dallas targeting the 49ers secondary, particularly Ambry Thomas.

I'm worried by the way everyone seems to picking SF though.

I haven't bought into anything. I take each game individually and look at the strengths and weaknesses to make a decision.

Teams with a good balance on offense and a defense that can get to the QB have been problematic for the niners.

Dallas are not awesome against the pass but that's not a huge concern against the niners. If they stop the run they win handy and I can see that happening.

Dallas are poor against the run though and if they can't stop the crossing routes shanahan loves so much that's absolutely a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

Not sure if we continue our regular season scoring for the playoffs? I'm 170-102 for the season just in case.

Raiders @ Bengals

Patriots @ Bills

Eagles @ Buccaneers

49ers @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Chiefs

Cardinals @ Rams

Have to be honest I'm rooting for the Cards but just can't back them after the way they finished the season. Probably going out on a limb picking the Pat's too as I think the Bills are the better team, however it's Bellichecks 3rd go at them in a very short space of time. I just have too much respect for the guy to pick against him here.

thats not a big concern against the Niners ? Ah here. Deebo Samuel isn’t just a running back you know and can play both and likely will on Sunday. Also George Kittle isn’t a slouch either.

Deebo is awesome, can't believe he's not an all-pro this season. He can't do it on his own though. I think it'll be a high scoring game but I think between turnovers and a very weak looking niners secondary that the Cowboys win easy.

Okay so I’ve picked the Niners to win but have conceded the cowboys can win so our only area of major disagreement is that the cowboys could win easy. If the game is close early second half you have to admit the cowboys may get tight in their home stadium.

deebo was named to the all pro first team this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Raiders @ Bengals

Raiders have done well to get to the playoffs but the weather will be a factor and the Bengals offense has too much for the Raiders secondary, I reckon Bengals by 7

Patriots @bills

Patriots Defense will keep this close but when it comes down to it Mac Jones has not done enough this year to convince me he will lead this team to a win in the playoffs , Bills by 3

Eagles @ Buccaneers

I expect the Bucs run defense to make this a tough day for Jalen Hurts and the run offense of the Eagles. This could get ugly if they do. If not the eagles stand a chance of an upset, Bucs by 10

49ers @ Cowboys

This I think will be close - Garroppolo needs to stay away from Trevon Diggs or he will have a bad day. I expect Kittle and the run game to be featured heavily. They key to this game imo is if Dallas can get any production from their run game - if they can it exposes the 49er secondary and they will have success - I think injuries are slowing Elliott and Pollard so going for 49ers but it will be close , 49ers by 2

Steelers @ Chiefs

Steelers D will make this close early but I cant see them scoring enough to win, Chiefs by 13

Cardinals @ Rams

I am not convinced by the Rams , Stafford has been so up and down. If Kupp is double teamed will Odell Beckham Jr be enough to see them through? The Rams D is their strength but I can see the Cardinals having success running the ball. A close one but Cardinals by 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, Cowboys have questions against the run, playing one of the easiest run schedules but not looking strong, and are also weak in giving up yards after the catch from receptions - both areas where 49ers kill teams.

The only way the 49ers lose by 10+ is a complete meltdown by Jimmy and/or the Cowboys completely nullify the 49ers pass rush and can then have time to attack the 49ers secondary deep. Both are possible but unlikely. I'd see more routes for the 49ers win by 10+ than the Cowboys (not saying that is likely either).

I think a lot (TBF only few here) are buying into the Cowboys hype from early in the season. Their defense has flashed against poor teams and/or QBs but they've spluttered on offense. 49ers have looked far better against playoff quality teams, match up well with the Cowboys, and are getting healthy at the right time.

Raiders @ Bengals

Raiders played their super bowls over the last few weeks and the league are doing them dirty by having them the first game of this weekend with the Bengals having one off. Bengals have too many ways to attack them and should win unless Taylor goes into his shell and doesn't use his weapons

Patriots @ Bills

Couldn't resist taking points with Belichick as an underdog but Bills should win here. Bills have the far, far better QB and showed in the last game they can stand up to the Patriots' physicality (without a few long runs they held their own in the first game also). For Patriots to win they'll need Jones to play a perfect game but he won't do it - any mistake from him they won't be able to come back from.

Eagles @ Buccaneers

Hoping the weather doesn't ruin this one. It probably plays into the hands of the Eagles but I don't see it being close to enough with Brady thriving in the short game.

49ers @ Cowboys

See previous post for thoughts.

Steelers @ Chiefs

Don't see a flailing Big Ben keeping this one close

Cardinals @ Rams

Cardinals have the better QB so again couldn't say no to taking the points when it opened but Rams should have enough to get by them. Rams will be hurting after last week and with their star players still being healthy they should be able to pick apart whatever plan Kingsbury puts together - as seems to be the trend in the second half of the season with the Cardinals the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cowboys -10 is a ~5/2 shot, or 28% if you prefer. So it's hardly some sort of laughably outlandish prediction.

Calm down there, it is a discussion forum - who said it was 'some sort of laughably outlandish prediction'?

From the picks the general consensus is leaning towards a 49ers win and some are pushing back against someone confidently claiming they'll be blown out without appearing to acknowledge the weaknesses with the Cowboys.

Everyone seems have accepted a Cowboys big win is a possibility, just not as likely as being claimed.

TD bengals 7-3 1st quarter.

The Bengals force the turnover and have good field position.

If the Bengals get a TD on this third drive this could get very ugly for the Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Good D, that could be a big play to get the Raiders going

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice TD there for the Bengals. 20-6 feels like a more accurate reflection of the game so far. Let's see if the Raiders can narrow the gap before half time.

• Advertisement

TD bengals 20-6. I’m not sure why they blew the whistle as it was not even close.

Advertisement