Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Cristobaal

I'm still learning about the pro/cons of the solar panels. My thinking we that now we use the gas for heating the water all year round. The front of the house is facing south so I could use Eddi in the summer time to heat up the water and therefore reduce the gas usage. But you are right, probably with a small system like this I will consume most of the electricity to fulfill the house needs and the rest will fill up the battery.

The angle of the roof is another thing, two engineers already said that I could put few panels on the north side but they wouldn't recommend this as the cost of putting them there will never pay off.

I live in Galway city on one of the estates so the back garden is quite small. I do however have a small utility building with a flat roof. I could research if there is an option to install a few panels there.

Cheers for ideas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Another way to look at the EDDI is that if it costs say 2 units to heat your immersion (let's call it 50 cents), then you could heat your immersion 1000x times or once a day for 3 years basically with the money you spent to purchase the EDDI. It's hard to get a payback timeline if you are only probably using the EDDI 30-40 days a year.

We had a fairly long'ish tread with another board member about installing panels on a north facing roof. In his case it was a little different as he ONLY had a north facing roof, and it was just about feasible for him, albeit he had some other issues around vents which he couldn't overcome. With you having a south facing roof as well, your in a better position.

You could have 8-10 panels on the south roof and another 8-10 on the north. There are websites which will give you expected yield such as....

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP%20that's%20the%20calculator%20for%20Europe,

They north facing panels won't make much in the winter (neither do my East/West facing ones for that matter), but in the summer unless the slope of your roof is mental, they will pay for themselves in time. Part of the logic is.....is that you already have an inverter for the south roof, the same inverter will take the north panels "for free" as in you don't have to buy another inverter, so the cost per panel on the north is relatively good (if you follow the logic?)

Is your roof orientation EXACTY north/south, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

So, too many options…my latest (best) quotes

1. 7.5kw of longi panels, €7400
    2. 6.8kW panels, 5kw battery, €8500
    3. 7.5kw panels, 10kw battery, €11500

3 different directions. All quotes there close to leading quotes I think?

In terms of option one, panels only, I am not against DIY job on battery and seperate inverter, which may suit positioning batteries elsewhere anyway.

Option 2 is 9k really as I’d like to get to the 7kw+ on the roof. 

Option 3 starts to be big money. At that point I get into thinking about waiting for better technology, or an EV, instead of loading up on batteries with (in my opinion) questionable ROI.

😎

Hard to call mate. For starters though, all those quotes are good, but you know that at this stage as I know you've done your homework! :-) Quote 2 would probably get my nod.......unless you have the consumption to cycle the battery daily from Quote 3. I'd say you would need to be 10mW/year or above to make a 10Kwh battery work. I do with the mining , but if your not mining, own a heat pump or growing weed (LOL), or have some other massive consumption.....it's hard to see it being economical.

That said, there's more to it than a simple payback. One way I like to think of it, is that I'm paying a whopping big bill now, but I know that going forward there is a better security that my bills won't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ya heat pump in play- albeit it’s needed when there isn’t much sun.

😎

• Advertisement

Still even when there's no sun, you charge the puppy up on night rate and use that during the day. When I did the math on a 8.2Kwh, forgetting the solar aspect and -JUST- using the battery to cycle daily 8.2kwh, 365 days a year (including losses) it would payback in about 10-11 years. Add in solar and it dropped (for me) down to about 8-9 years.

You got the consumption I'd "go big"... sure it's a little bit of a gamble. Maybe electricity prices drop (?!!), or some new technology comes along in 3-4 years that completely blows away Lithium storage, but I think we're all safe enough to make our money back. Can always add another 5Kwh battery to a 5Kwh too as another option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have gas heating, the Eddi isn't very financially viable. Gas is so much cheaper you'll never save the extra cost if having the Eddi installed. For a small system like that, try it without a battery first and then you can always avail of the battery grant at a later date, not need to get up on the roof for that so not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

If the selected array is 6kW+ is it advisable to provide a 6kW inverter? (It has been mentioned many times here to extend to a larger inverter for potential future expansion I believe though I dont think I will ever expand the array size). I have also read that an inverter needs to be 'overloaded' for efficiency and durability (cannot locate that article now) so best to match a 5kW inverter with a 6kW+ array.

So is it advisable to select a 6kW inverter to a 6kW+ array or will 5kW inverter suffice/ perform better? Last decision I need to make before confirming the selected system to the installer.

The answer depends on a few things.

First of all an inverter will only "draw down" to the limit, so if you have 8Kwp in panels and only a 5Kw inverter, then you won't damage the inverter with it being less, but then again you effectively have wasted buying panels in the summer as you can't get 100% of your production. The other thing is are all the panels in the same string? If you have say 4Kwp facing south east, then they will max out in the morning about 10-11am, if you have 4Kwp facing South West they will max out at 2-3pm, so even though you have 8Kwp in total with the orientation they may not be producing their max at the same time. So you have to factor that into the equation

The reason why people say get the 6Kw over the 5kw is that the price is like €150 extra for the 6kw over the 5Kw, so when you look at the overall cost, it's only a small bit extra and it future proofs you

The max size for nearly all inverters that we get are 6Kw max. you can get larger ones, but many of them tend to be 3x phase

I am targeting 16 panel 6.4kW array, all facing same direction on one roof surface and have been advised to connect to inverter on 2no. strings. So is 6kW advisable in this scenario or are there redunacy/ over sizing/ under loading issues potentially with this. I'll go with a 5kW if it will do the job sufficiently, though I dont have issue with future proofing just in case (I generally favour this approach)- despite the addiction this seems to cause I just dont see myself ever expanding the system in the future (famous last words).

• Advertisement

Ohh the 5Kw will do the job, but think about it this way mrm......

1. If you are planning 16 panel 6.4Kwp all facing south with a 5Kw inverter, your max output will be 5Kw.
    2. If instead you get 14 panel 5.6Kwp all facing south with a 5Kw inverter, your max output will be 5Kw.

Why spend the extra money on panels in that scenario? It doesn't really increase your overall output? The only time where they will be useful, is on the marginal days. Let's say you are getting 2.2Kw from the array on a specific day/time, well with the extra panels would mean that your production would go to ~2.5Kw, so that time you will see a benefit.

Nothing wrong with what your suggesting of the 5kw inverter, as long as you know what your limiting. Me - I'd hold out and try and get a 6Kw if you can. It'll piss you off in 3-4 years and you want to expand your array because you got a EV and want to add a 4-6 more panels then you might be limiting yourself a bit more - but yeah, nothing inherently wrong with your plan :-) Least I don't think so.

Thanks bullit_dodger, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with getting the 6KW so I think I'll ask the installer to provide for one. Go big or go home is the motto to maintain!

Yeah I leaning towards to ditch Eddi. The front of the house is facing South 202°. I have space only for 7 panels on the south roof. It's 3 bed semi detached house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Eddi is very handy if you have the full MyEnergi suite of products. If you don't have an EV and have any intention of getting one, you could also consider a cheaper diverter like an iBoost or immersun. Have you got a way of consuming your generation during the summer months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Frankly saying during the summer time I won't need that much energy to run the house. That's why I was considering Eddi so I could heat up water and save on gas. I'd say once the battery is full the surplus will go to the grid. I don't own EV yet but that's my goal to get one in a near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Eddie is very handy. While oil and gas is still cheaper to heat water, prices are rising. Also, it's very convenient not having to switch oil on during the summer.

It's not a big outlay and can be a very worthwhile purchase for many people. Would highly recommend.

I would second that. My boiler is switched off from mid to late march till October.

The last time I topped up the tank was when oil was at its lowest and that was 400lt to fill it.

In Cristobaal's case I'd disagree here folks. Not so much that I think an EDDI is bad (I bought one myself), but rather I think it'll be of very limited use for him with 2.5-3.0Kwp in panels. Think about it, you first have to cover base load, then you want to fill a battery (and he's talking about a large one)....it's only then that energy is diverted to the EDDI once the battery is full, so where is the energy going to come from?

Sure, on a super bright day in june where you might have 12-14 hrs of sunshine you might get base load covered, battery full and then you can start to heat water.....but with 2.5-3.0Kwp you simply don't have the firepower with the exception of all but the most advantageous days. How many of those days do you get a year? What about in April, or September? No, EDDi would be a bad decision i think - the math isn't there.

If you had 4.0-5.0 Kwp (or above) then yeah sure, EDDI starts to make more sense, but I'd deprioritize it over a larger battery.....or come back and fit one in 12 months when you see how much excess you have with the north facing panels from your telemetry. Easy to do that later. it's even borderline self-install that you don't need a spark for, assuming your somewhat decent knowledge of electrics. That's the smart move here I think.

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Hi guys,

Brilliant thread and well done all for contributing some really great information 👍

This is my house, dormer bungalow.

1. We have a 40kw ev

2. Heat pump - thermodynamic water heater

3. Just had a look at our electrical consumption and it's around 12000 kw per annum (but I'll check again)

I have read through all the previous threads and thank you.

I'd like to have

As many panels as possible (with optimisers ) 7.5 or 10 kw battery storage (and maybe more in the future. I think a hybrid inverter 6kw.

I have a Garo charger, but do I need a zapping instead ?

My water heater as said above is a thermodynamic heat pump(which has an immersion also in it.)

Note , the picture has an extension with a pitch of about 20 degrees and the shed is approx 30ish degrees..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shouldn't need optimizers. Doesn't look like much shading there. As a "first draft" something like....

18 panels (9 east/west) .....so probably about 6.8Kwp or there abouts. Looks like you have loads of space, so you could get more in to the north of what I've highlighted, especially on the east one. Up to the max of about 24 panels. the west roof looks like it has a chimney, so if your to the north of that chimney you'll probably need an optimizer there on those ones.

The south west facing roof on the shed would be better for orientation, but it's a pain to get the wiring to the inverter, (if panels were on your main roof also) so the installer will probably do something like I've done above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not working out too well for him. His whole shtick is that he's saving people a fortune by cutting out the grant. Like a DIY install but buying the supplies yourself but paying him for the labour (max of €365 per kW).

Except he has admitted that my system would have been more expensive if I'd used him. Plus if anything go's wrong there are 3 parties to deal with, the equipment supplier, him as the roofer, and the electrician he subcontracts to.

He is claiming that the grant system is the problem, but the reality is that crazy priced installers are the problem. Loads of us here are proof hat good prices are possible if you shop around.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A quick reminder of our forum charter which is available HERE.

Unsolicited PMs recommending suppliers are NOT permitted.

If a poster has asked for PMs with recommendations, you can of course PM them with recommendations, but unsolicited PMs are strictly verboten.

If you have received an unsolicited PM after posting here PM @DrPhilG or myself and we will deal with with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm looking to do a DIY installation on my flat roof shed. should be able to get 4.5kw East/West for under 4000, maybe even less if the brother can register and get a discount.

Lucky he's a sparks but the main reason to go DIY is the cost, even with the grants the prices for install are just nuts. Suppliers making 1000's for a days work, I know there's warranty but surely callbacks are far and few between?

Hi Maulbrook. ( thanks again for the other day)

I did contact Darrell (email, text and rang). I'd say hes busy, got no answer yet).

Well done all

Thanks bulit.

Waiting on 2 quotes, I'll request more this week.

When you look at the pic , I have just built a lean too on the right ( it's not in the pic yet). Just wondering should I have all my controls, invertor batteries etc there. It will be still classed as outdoor, but covered in ( 2.8 m x 12 m) or should I have some of the controls in the side space of the dormer (foam insulated, but not as warm as before)

Thanks 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My system works out at 2400 ex vat. I'll allow the vat for supplier discount. Add 1k to install and he works our dearer by 200e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement