Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Thats the lad you would want in the blue of Cavan!

Don't know why they say it's 50-50 on whether the transfer will go through if he lives in kingscourt there should be no issue.

It's sounds like they are just trying to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

He’d be handy alright but I wouldn’t agree with parachuting in a player from another county above lads we developed ourselves.

The bottom line is Paddy Lynch, Conor Madden, Caoimhin Reilly, Conor Smith & the other forwards vying for the full forward line are going to face the worst defences in the country in the League this year so some of them has to hold their hand up and cement a spot.

Contesting transfers seems to be the done thing in Meath. I know two lads from Dunboyne who hadn’t played in years and wouldn’t get near the senior team and Dunboyne blocked their move to Kilbride and they had to go to a county board hearing.

Id imagine he will stay with meath anyway but I would have no problem with it its not like we have a supply of scoring forwards or consistent free takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Micky said after the Tyrone game that he would have another 2 or 3 players back from injury next week, any word on who? Conor brady maybe or Cian or Martin reilly, them 3 would fairly strengthen the panel and if they get a challenge game in might push for a place also, we will have to wait to find out, another game in the McKenna cup would have been good.

• Advertisement

Couple of Meath lads I have spoken to reckon he could actually move. Apparently there is a big divide between the North & South Meath lads in the Meath panel.

I know the PRO of one Meath club tweeted when Cavan won the Ulster Final that they had more players from North Meath on the pitch than their own county had the night before in the Leinster Final!

I think Martin reilly if fit comes in also, he is probably our greatest goal threat, Thomas galligan has to be left in midfield two excellent midfielders in him and James smith but both are attacking midfielders so it is hard to know, I probably would like to see Conor brady develop into our regular centre half back, what is your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Conor Smith is one I think as he had a groin strain. He and Martin Reilly are due back at training next week.

The team selected above is too defensive IMO. We need to unearth forwards so why would we be going into games against Division Four teams with two experienced backs (Oisin Kiernan & McLoughlin) in the HF line?

My team would be:

Galligan

Fortune, Faulkner, McLoughlin

Oisin Kiernan, Conor Brady, Clarke

Galligan, James Smith

Gerry Smith, Gearoid, Oisin Brady

Conor Smith, Paddy Lynch, Cormac O’Reilly

I know people talk about complacency but at the end of the day it’s Division 4 Football. The bulk of these lads have played Div 1 so you would be hoping to try and empty the bench early in games and get minutes into the players on the bench like Cian Reilly, Finnegan, Brady the Ramor keeper, Caoimhin & Fionntan Reilly, Paul Smith & Jack McKenna.

At the end of the day, Galligan, Faulkner, McLoughlin, Gerry Smith, Gearoid and other experienced players are going to gain very little from Div 4.

My team has one wing back on the opposition 40 though. Not two. Gerry Smith also generally plays an attacking role with his club and was even playing as a roving forward for them in the League this year. I don’t think Jason McLoughlin will kick too many scores - wasn’t the one in the Ulster Final his first ever point?

One of the “likely lads” in the forwards needs to hold their hand up and move some way towards providing the attacking threat we need. I’m hoping it will be Paddy Lynch or Conor Smith (if he can stay fit) because I don’t think Caoimhin Reilly or Conor Madden are going to.

I didn’t suggest giving anyone 15 minutes either. By emptying the bench early, I would be giving those lads at least half a game if it’s available.

Some of the matches will no doubt be tight but the bottom line is we should be nowhere near Division 4. You need to aim to win every game and the Division and get the confidence going.

I would have killian brady there, If I was picking the team , I would go with

1 ray

2 Luke. 3 Padraig. 4 killian brady

5 Gerry smith 6conor brady 7 Jason

8 James smith 9 Thomas galligan

10 Oisin brady 11 G mac. 12 Oisin K

13 cormac reilly 14 paddy Lynch 15 Conor madden

• Advertisement

Killian Brady over Killian Clarke?

Brady is a limited player. He had an absolute nightmare against Dublin in Croke Park and was off after ten minutes.

That said, there may be a need for him in Division 4.

I feel this time of the year with heavy ground killian brady can be excellent, I kind of forgot to put in killian Clarke, need to get him in , il have to drop someone to bench, 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

A lot of people underrate the Gunner, especially in what he brings with intensity. At this time of year, he is always one of our most consistent performers during league campaigns. I prefer Jason to Luke Fortune at corner back and think Fortune is a more natural half-back. Finnegan has been solid and should be given a run out in the league to give him more game time.

In terms of the panel, we're very strong from 1-9 with some depth and flexibility there. Clarke did a really good job against Tyrone at midfield but I prefer him as a full back. Conroy is effective at this time of year as a centre half back with the ability to spray passes and his pace (or lack of) won't get exposed in league football. Cian Reilly had an outstanding few games and was badly caught out against McCurry but no shame in that. Moynagh was our most consistent player in league and championship in 2019 and could easily play in the full back line as a sweeper or centre half back. Conor Brady lines out as a centre half back for Gowna but could easily play at midfield if we needed to rotate James Smith or Thomas Galligan. Gerry Smith and Kiernan for me are attacking half backs but both can play further up.

Martin Reilly and Gearoid are the only certainties for me as forwards. The likes of Conor Smith, Patrick Lynch, Cormac O'Reilly, Conor Madden, Oisin Brady and the Reilly Brothers need to start nailing down positions over the course of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

Agree on Gunner but he's not getting any younger and it's a young man's game he plays with the high intensity physical stuff. Granted he's teak tough but not the biggest man in the world. Agree on the forwards as well, we need players to really lay down a marker and make the jersey their own. Hasn't happened so far. Whether the quality is not there or the system/service is not getting the best out of them remains to be seen.

I don't think we're as strong 1-9 as you may think. Our relegation from Division 3 last year was as much a result of slack tackling and getting cut open time and time again as it was from our poor returns up front. Plus we look very slow in working the ball out of defence. And I think people tend to gloss over the shot stopping exploits of Galligan the last few years. He's been very busy and saved our blushes often. And our midfield options are limited. I wish Conor Brady in a blue jersey was the same one I see in the green and red but he's not as involved or imposing and looks a yard short of the pace.

It will be interesting to see how we go this year. I'm not over confident but at the same time we cannot be as bad as last year. I've read a lot of different excuses for last year but long and short of it we were brutal and MG has been cut a lot of slack. On paper it might be a lower grade again and theoretically easier to develop on the forward element of our game but if we play anything like we did last year we are in for a very rude awakening.

I think this year will be the season we see Conor Brady establish himself as a county player. He's got the tools and he clearly looks like he has the power and pace to compete with the likes of Galligan and Smith (he easily did so in club matches). I hope I don't hex the lad but he was easily one of the best players in the county this year and would love to see him kick on this year.

On the expectations for this year, our intent and intensity for the two McKenna cup games looks like Mickey will have us set for the league.

1. Ray Galligan,
    2. McLaughlin
    3. Faulkner
    4. Clarke
    5. Kiernan
    6. Conor Brady
    7. Gerry Smith
    8. Thomas Galligan
    9. James Smith
    10. Oisin Brady
    11. Gearoid
    12. Cormac O Reilly
    13. Martin Reilly
    14. Patrick Lynch
    15. Conor Madden

Given that we need to hit the ground running, that's the starting 15 i would go with in Carrick On Shannon. I've no idea on the fitness of Conor Brady or Martin Reilly, but i would go for the above. Start with high intensity for the first game, be ready for a Leitrim team with new management who would be only too happy to turn us over.

Obviously with the Gunner, Conroy, Fortune, Finnegan and Moynagh there is more cover in the backs so we could see Gerry Smith for example deployed further forward. Definitely shouldn't be Jason!

Any challenge games now we are out of the McKenna cup did anyone hear?

I would pick Brady over Conroy or Moynagh based on form in the championship. Chris Conroy is a very reliable player for Cavan but by his standards had a very poor championship for Lavey. I saw Moynagh in an intermediate championship game for Drumgoon and he was easily the best player on show, but nothing to the level Brady performed at for Gowna.

Like I said, we have options there (Clarke had one of his best performances for Cavan against Armagh in the 2019 Ulster semi replay at centre half) and we are lighter on proven options up front.

I wonder whether we might see Clarke or the Gunner at midfield to partner James Smith. We don't know if Thomas Galligan is fully fit and even if both Smith and Galligan are fit, you might see one kept in reserve and a more defensive partner in the middle to balance the natural style of Smith and Galligan to drive forward. I would love to see both of them fit and start and become the dominant centre midfield pairing for years to come.

That's a good point re Thomas Galligan. All of us are naming him but is he even fit? At this stage, I'm beginning to think he has as many fitness issues as Conor Smith for Cavan but his good year in 2020 sees those glossed over. He even argues he wasn't fit that year.

Has anyone a list of the players played for St Pats on their McCrory Cup winning team and for Cavan too? I think Smith & Galligan were both on that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Conor Smith

Pierce Smith

Stephen Smith

Luke Fortune

Thomas Galligan

Darragh Kennedy (some years ago)

Mattie McKenna

Thomas Edward Donohoe

Fergal O Rourke may have skirted the panel for a while, not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

David Brady was on that team also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

have we not seen Moynagh solo into traffic and turn the ball over enough of times ? No doubting he is a talented footballer but he can be completely brainless

I think Conor Moynagh is an excellent footballer, but in his best roll as a sweeper not as a centre back or on out and out defender marking anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

Moynagh has been a great servant. By no means perfect and it can be easy to focus on the negatives where familiarity is concerned but overall I'd say he's been above average for us. In a similar way some people tend to highlight the weaknesses in McKiernan's game but when he is gone he will leave a massive void.

It would be great to think that some of the potential replacements are upgrades on what we have/had but as yet they haven't stepped up. Club form however promising doesn't mean much if you can't bring it through to IC. So jury still out. Put it this way, when we were flying up through the divisions and competing with the top teams in the country Conor Moynagh's name was one of the first on the tam sheet. We're now debating if some of these other lads should be even starting on a Division 4 team.

They were due to play Down on Tuesday evening and it was cancelled. I was told no further games planned but since the Terry Hyland era our players keep their cards close to their chest.

Is this tactic of filling our half forward line with half backs, when we're going to be playing in Division 4, not a bit of a junior football thing? It's a tactic I would expect our opponents to be deploying against us. Division 4 is probably going to see plenty of blanket defences so why would we go into the games with the likes of Jason McLoughin and Conor Brady half forward? Is Jaosn going to kick a long range score to beat a blanket?

Yes he is well able to kick scores from long range for his club anyway. Should he be in the half forwards no.

The worrying thing is both Gearoid and Martin are possibly in their last year(s).

I'd just see it as a junior football tactic - blanket defence, fill your attack with defenders. Being from West Cavan, I wasn't sure if you'd get the opportunity to watch much senior football live. I think the game has moved past negative tactics. The big thing now is counter attacking football and quick transition, at senior football and intercounty level anyway.

I think McLoughlin was generally being used a as half forward to man mark the likes of a Ryan McHugh or an attacking half back on the opposite team. You'll only get that against better teams though and I can't see it being much of an issue in Division 4.

I wouldn't write off the rest of the front 6 yet. Give them some playing time in Division 4 to try and find their rhythm at intercounty level. As another posted has pointed out, those two lads won't be around forever so we need some of the pretenders to start standing up. It's a bit rough to label some lads that they ''aren't up to the standard'' before they even get a decent run.

• Advertisement

Bar Stephen Smith and maybe Luke Fortune, that seems to be a fairly injury prone set of lads.

Advertisement