Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not much of a mystery.

The email was invitation was sent to around 100 people. Only around a third turned up, so the majority didn't.

At the time the advice was to WFH, but IT security and working practices in Downing St make that difficult or impossible, so large numbers of staff would have been required to go in daily and mix in fairly cramped and badly ventilated offices. Getting out into the garden probably felt like a welcome relief and no less safe given the general working conditions.

The restrictions on outdoor mixing were being loosened at the time as the initial panic and uncertainty over disease severity and transmission patterns eased.

So it's not difficult to see how amongst a bunch of people working in those conditions and with notions of their own exceptionalism, a third would consider it a risk worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They are not giving sound advice though. Nowhere in that link does it say a household contact only starts their isolation period once the parent has recovered.

When they were last in contact with them applies to the last time they had contact with them after they received the positive result not when they've ended their own isolation. For children that young it's a safe bet they are in constant contact with them. It's only if the close contact develops symptoms within the 7 days days that the clock gets reset and a different set of guidelines comes into effect.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I know and I had said this as well but they were adamant that she is also isolating and really had to self isolate from her positive parents and if they isn't possible, which is always the case, then she needs to be stuck at home for a full 2 weeks.

It's utter lunacy and really pissing me off considering we are 99% sure she got it in the childminders and passed it to us (wet have no close contacts as we have seen nobody and only people she saw those at childminders) - it's likely at time of testing it was gone from her system or as likely she wasn't swabbed very well in the drive through one we got a pcr test in. It's a crazy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bombastic93

Sorry but you are being very unfair to your childminder here. The rules don't exist to penalise you for having children, they exist because as others have explained, theoretically because you cannot isolate for your child, you child could catch it on the last day of your infectious period. This isn't a judgement on it being unreasonable to expect you to isolate from your child, this is just the nature of how viruses are spread. I don't see what the severity of Omicron has to with it, does that mean it is ok for you to knowingly send your child to the childminder while they could still be infectious? As well as making them sick, this could lead to outbreak in their house (not sure if they mind other children too) potentially leading to further loss of income for them?

Also to point out that of you get positive test for your child within first seven days of your isolation, this will effectively reduce their overall isolation too.

I literally said in my post I don't blame my childminder - I am not being remotely unfair on her. My grievance is clearly with the way the rules are written which speak about a 7 day isolation for household contacts but is on the ridiculous premise that anyone will actually be practically able to avoid everyone else in their house.

Try reading the whole thing and not jumping on something you haven't read correct. At no point have I said I would be sending her in and the main reason we see nobody else is to help stop spread, particularly with the childminder and her family in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

150k dead doesn’t look that great. Not forgetting that was with long lockdowns. But you go on ahead and revise history.

So either the HSE website is wrong or the person on the phone was wrong. To take the example you've been given with multiple children in a household you could be in isolation for an extended period of time with the clock being reset every time.

If that is the case and it is 14 days then I certainly wouldn't be getting a test for love nor money.

Let's look at the previous guidelines which was 14 days for unvaccinated household contacts. Taking the advice you've been given this 14 days wouldn't take effect until the positive person in the house was finished theor isolation period. So you could end up with a situation whereby a someone in your home tests positive. That's 10 days straight away for everyone in the house. Now if the other children in the house only start their 14 days once the first child has completed theirs you end up with 24 days of isolation for most in the house. That's bonkers logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭prunudo

A couple of Saturday morning musings. Not sure if its being mentioned before, but regarding the Djokovic case, one of the angles that the official's are using is that 'it will provoke antivax sentiment in the country'. A lot has been said about governments throughout this pandemic but its scary to see their true colours showing. Why are they so concerned about personal choice amongst their citizens.

In UK, we now see that what was being said in front of cameras was very different to what was happening behind closed doors. I've said before about restrictions making no sense, and the usual posters would jump in saying we had to listen to the officials. Yet now we see a situation where police were telling people not to sit alone in public parks or beaches or even not being allowed touch loved ones coffins at a tiny funeral. All the while the civil servants at the top were doing as they please.

We are told to trust the experts, but a lot that has transpired in the last 2 years and no doubt over the coming years has confimed to me not be blindly lead by what the politicians say and not be afraid to be critical of what an expert says when it goes against everything that we have come to know and expect in life.

Apparently this has been quite common which baffles me. As you mentioned, it just promotes behaviour in terms of not getting tested etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bombastic93

Apologies if I misread your post but I did see you mention that the rules are unfairly targeting people with children who can't isolate from them, and my point was that the rules are not there to punish you if you can't isolate from your children, it's just a fact of the virus itself that your child needs to isolate for more days in this case.

We didn't isolate from each other when we had it in our house (young children too) and we all ended up getting it relatively quickly, but we knew we could do full isolation period without impacting our jobs.

Any households that I have heard where they have isolated positive child/parent have usually ended up with longer isolation periods for the household overall, as other family members are only testing positive at the end of the first isolation period etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

@Paul Tergat I have just been through this entire debacle. One positive child, 2 negative kids who stayed negative.I have posted here before about it, thankfully it was over Christmas so we were all at home but it makes no sense at all.Obviously we were not even going to attempt to isolate our 7 year old, firstly becuse she is 7 and secondly....Christmas.It doesn't seem to matter if you are boosted or vaccinated or anything, if you are caring for someone unvaccinated who cannot isolate, the rules at that link seem to just be 17 days for you, and 14 days for them or 10 days for them with 2 negative tests.Which I found totally stupid, because realistically if you are caring for them, they have to just do the whole 17 days with you, they generally can't go anywhere without you.....

I know numerous families who have had it at this point.Two families were told send the kids back to school after 10 days and 2 negative tests.Two other families were told 17 days at home, no option.Our own principal was using 17 days and is now sending emails quoting HSE advice that 10 days and two tests is sufficent (assuming all negative).

It is actually far more straightforward if they just get covid.If they remain negative, it is impossible to make sense of the advice as it is all conflicting.Personally I think at this stage of the game 17 days is a ridiculous requirement, but there is no doubt that they need to get things straight and make sure the advice is consistent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That is the case @JRant .Unfortunately I know a number of families who have been through this.It can roll over a number of weeks, the hassle of the whole thing is the biggest nightmare, especially when you are lookong at kids who are mostly fine and telling them they can't go anywhere for weeks.I can think of at least 2 examples, one of a 5 year old being at home for a month befofe she finally caught it - she was the last one to get it in the house, a mild runny nose - and my own niece of the same age did 2 isolation sessions aswell before she finally caught it too.It is absolutely painful.

Fair enough and accept that.

The issue I have is how it has been worded / rolled out. It's put in as if a household contact can realistically get out after 7 days and as if they have done something to improve the household contact situation but in reality they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Sorry for OT but it's related to post-covid recovery.

GDP in Irish context is not used by:

1. Government of Ireland including the Revenue
    2. EU
    3. IMF

All these organisations use GNI as a macroeconomic indicator. Only an economic amateur can use GDP and Ireland in the same sentence...

The reason is that Irish GDP is inflated by tax haven operations, one of the tax haven primary indicators in academic research is that their GDP is much higher than their GNI, just FYI 😊 In Irish case by 40% at least (varies).

The government of Ireland expected the GNI-Debt ratio to be 115% at the end of 2021. This is high level of indebtedness and ROI wouldn't be allowed to Eurozone with it etc.

So no, Ireland is coming out of the pandemic heavily indebted.

And high GDP growth after a high drop + 40-50% virtual GDP from tax haven operations tells you exactly nothing about the state of the economy or the gov budget.

Yes, we can still borrow relatively cheaply but who will finance the debt and how????

Correct 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Quite right.

The hypocrisy is one thing and is of course is what the media like to focus on for their gotcha moments. What gets to me is they clearly didn’t believe covid was anywhere near as dangerous as they were pretending. It wasn’t just the tories of course- it happened in Scotland and at funeral gate in the North etc.

Thanks shesty. That's the biggest load of bolloxology ever though. I have 2 young children myself (3 and 7) but thankfully only needed to get them tested once in 2020. Haven't bothered in over a year because my two have constant sniffles, runny noses etc during the winter months. There's even less chance I'd be getting them tested ever again knowing this.

It's clearly a policy that was developed by a mentaler that has no children of creche or school going age.

That's it.All the guidelines are fine if you are an adult who gets the odd cold but they are close to unworkable if you have kids -my own 3 year old was tested a couple of times from Sept 2021 and eventually we just gave up.There was no point, unless he had a significant cough, and even then it was only to give the preschool peace of mind.Thankfully the preschool owner applies common sense and doesn't send them home for a sniffle or demand PCRs for them to return, but I know others who do.

Consideration of real life with small kids just hasn't crossed the minds of the policy makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If that is the case for children you could be over a month isolating if you have a few kids

I can see it causing people not to test them and not want to be informed of being a close contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone convinced we don't have much in the way of restrictions should try be a single person organising a date Monday - Friday

There is absolutely nothing to do after work hours

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Wow, the unvaccinated are the problem but no homework done first on other causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not a fan of RTEs coverage but an optimistic piece from Fergal on a Saturday morning.

It truly is bonkers that those making these policies don't think beyond the nose on their face. On what planet is that a workable solution for parents of young children?

Our little fellas preschool sounds similar to yours and is being run by people that actually understand young children. I have to say the primary school our daughter attends is also very pragmatic as well.

When policies like this are so unworkable people will just ignore them, it means that the policy isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

940 in hospital this morning, down 80. 119 admissions and 127 discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

And what was the max number of unvaccinated in ICU, even if you took figures at face value there were at most 50 unvaccinated taking up an ICU bed at any time since vaccination rollout.

We have approx 50 more beds in ICU operating than we did coming into this mess.

There was some valid fear early in vaccine rollout that unvaccinated may take up too many resources and put too much stress on the health system, but this never panned out. This fear was stoked by public health officials, government and media long after trends were indicating no need for it. Reducing transmission was a red herring. Once elderly, vulnerable and anyone else that wants a vaccine have access to it, anything more is wasting energy, resources and money.

The unvaccinated are no more a burden than anyone else making lifestyle choices that might necessitate health intervention. Covid protocols in hospitals need to be scaled back ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So when is Ireland’s new freedom day?

We had October 22nd which was ‘delayed’. I have no problem with the EU Covid Cert for travel purposes which includes a variety of options, from testing to recovery, with vaccination being the easiest for travel. However Certs used to stop people attending gyms, have a coffee, go to a hotel bar, I do not support without a referendum or mandate from the population and a significant public debate on the science behind why such a measure exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Hospital numbers down to 940 today.

I really do think we have peaked already

No way would I like a referendum to be called for this as it would make it very difficult to remove.

FF may pull the plug on this coalition in 2023 but I really doubt that. The only option is fkr people to continue to contact theor TDs and keep pressure on them to remove all these measures.

• Advertisement

That's not true. Also, there a couple of better parameters with triglycerides, low density cholesterol as percentage of total cholesterol. Feeds into metabolic syndrome which is very dangerous for heart attacks etc.

Advertisement