Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Not to Die for around €5 delivered!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Me too lol, instead its some Vegan preaching crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We'll all die. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,201 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I thought it was the Amazon series about the teenagers who committed suicide.

Sigh. Delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Thanks OP, good find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Given the choice, death is preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So a book outlining studies that show benefit to eating whole food plants and detriment to eating animal proteins, processed plants, refined plants, salt etc is vegan preaching? I think you may have a misunderstanding of what veganism is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not to burst any bubbles but not the first time this guy has been promoted on boards

Greger is a well know activist and a controversial figure who has been widely criticised by other medical professionals

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great article, and highlights just how selective he is with his sources.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hmmm Death or This Book?

I'll go with the death option please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,332 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Summary: Don’t eat food. Eat your food’s food.

No charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's the one thing I'm looking forward to when that time comes. 😁

I'd rather die than not been able to eat a big juicy steak so no thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Crucifixion or veganism ? Crucifixion please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,280 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Out of interest, do you routinely do a search for the word "vegan" on boards to post your rebuttals? Can you show me though, where has Dr. Greger ever stated veganism (i.e., the philosophical choice to not want to cause harm where harm isn't necessary) is a cure for death? The article is literally stating some people claim this philosophical belief can cure death. Can you show me where anyone has stated this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Here's me thinking this was the Bargain forum, not the vegan preaching thread

You were the first to mention anything about veganism, so can you please point out for everyone where there's anything to do with the preaching of a philosophy in this book?

You know well what your doing, don't pretend you dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

🤣🤣

SBM a skeptic run website with autors like Paul

Vancouver science journalist best known for publishing PainScience.com, which is "the SBM of pain and injury medicine." Although Paul grew up believing in anything, Carl Sagan turned him into a skeptic. Paul is also a programmer, a gamer, a science fiction fan, and chases Frisbees more than a Border Collie. Oh, and he was the assistant editor of ScienceBasedMedicine.org for a while (2009-2016).

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you not think posting a book at the cheapest price it's ever been should be allowed in bargain alerts because it advocates for minimising processed and refined plant foods and animal foods including those which the WHO define as cancer causing and probably cancer causing, just because you want to continue to eat said foods? Do you have a problem with the book advocating against eating processed and refined plant foods, or just the animal products? If not, why do you think that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Idiots will argue on the internet about absolutely anything...

Not sure who 'Paul' is. Unless its this guy?

"Paul Ingraham, Assistant Editor, helped manage the site from 2010 to 2016, assisting contributors with editing, layout, and the “mechanics” of blogging, plus many other administrative and technical chores. He is a Vancouver science journalist focused on science-based physical therapy for common problems like muscle pain and repetitive strain injuries. Paul retired in 2016"

I didn't quote him afaik. But no matter - The author of that link is

Harriet Hall - a qualified medical doctor. And its a fairly decent piece of research imho.

As to the site itself - afaik many of the contributors are qualified in the areas of science and medicine.

See:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/contributors/

Thing is yer man greger as detailed has received widespread criticism from other medical professionals

For example another of Greger's books - "Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching" was heavily criticised by David Sencer* for focusing heavily on "doomsday scenarios and offering little in terms of practical advice to the public" and that "a professional audience would quickly put [the book] aside for more factually correct sources of iinformation." I think this book is not much different tbf.

*Of note David Sencer was the longest serving director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Post edited by gozunda on

Gozunda, are you not going to address my reply to your post and show me where anyone has ever stated that the philosophy of veganism is a cure for death? You're linking to an article which is claiming disingenuity, while the article itself is titled disingenuously. Who are these "some people" the author is referring to who claim veganism (remember veganism is a philosophy, not a diet, I'm not sure if the author is aware of this?) can cure death?

Also, do you disagree that changing the way animals live increases the risk of disease? I believe this is Greger's take home message in that book. David Sencer doesn't seem to disagree with this either, the same with "other medical professionals". But I'm sure you know quoting "other medical professionals" doesn't bear much weight in evidence, with expert opinion having the highest risk of bias and the lowest quality of evidence when we look at the hierarchy of evidence.

Cormie

I'd answer you if I knew what you were asking. And I certainly didn't mention "philosophy". Neither did the article. I'm more interested in the science aspect myself. Maybe read it again to get the gist as per my original post. But if you have problems with the article itself - best take it up with the author .

But sure the book " How Not to Die" has to be a bargain. Up to this everyone had faced death. But heck who doesn't want "not to die" and for only 5 euros! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

It's actually a pretty good book, I added in 2 vegetarian dinners a week, might get me a couple more years. You can take loads of advice in the book without going vegan, loads of study's mentioned in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

OP: “ Good news, everyone! You don't have to eat meat! I've got enough gazpacho for everyone. It's tomato soup, served ice cold!”

Go back to Russia

My post is pretty clear as to what I'm asking.

What do you mean you didn't mention philosophy? In a thread highlighting a good price on a book about nutrition, you provided a link after mentioning the author being criticised by "other medical professionals", to an article written by a "medical professional" with a title that gives the impression that there are claims that living by a certain philosophy can cure death. So I'm asking you to show where anyone, let alone the author of the book, has made a claim that living by the philosophy of veganism can cure death.

To reiterate again, veganism is a philosophy, not a diet. You can eat nothing but oreo's and coke and still be adhering to a vegan way of living.

• Advertisement

OK let me reiterate. The article does not mention "philosophy". It refers to diet (as for example https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-do-vegans-eat-3376824)

The article is quite clear on this imo. You may disagree, but there we are. You've got at least one thumbs up for dr gregars book. Be happy or not. Your choice.

Post edited by gozunda on

Advertisement