Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

I recently married a Mexican woman and spent 15 months there during Covid after our wedding was postponed a couple of times. I like the culture, food, weather and going out to eat a lot which is just not feasible here. The language barrier and lack of mates/family is concerning but will hopefully lessen over time and I think being away is a lot easier now with technology than even 20 years ago. 

I have always been a good saver but every year for the last 7 or so years I have ended up further away from securing a home due to price increases in Dublin. I took my money saved for a deposit and built 3 2-bedroom apartments in Mexico city during Covid when I was stuck there. I was amazed how far the money went over there compared to here. 

I am approaching my mid-30's and want to have a family soon but can't imagine how that would be possible here with the cost of living and housing. I'm an accountant and my wife works in cybersecurity so we have good job prospects but where's the quality of life. 

Mexico has well reported safety concerns but that's mostly confined to the border states which we avoid, Mexico city is like most North American cities I've been to and the sheer number of places to visit for relatively cheap from that location is great.

Ireland currently is No Country for Young People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The active ingredient in Beconase (hayfever nasal spray) costs 500% more in Ireland than the UK. It's sold over the counter as Beconase, but if you want to buy a generic form of beclomethasone, you need a prescription. Why - just why?

So that's €50-60 to get a prescription so you can buy it for €4.50 instead of €13, if it weren't for the Pharmacist charging an €7.80 dispensing fee. €13 vs €62.30 - such a tough choice ... let me think a minute...

Can you purchase over the counter pharmaceuticals from other members of the European 'common' (sic) market or from outsie it; like the UK? Nope, not even aspirin.

Hence why despite having to be almost blinded by a headache before I think of taking a painkiller I have a full medicine cabinet all bought in Newry. 29p for a pack of painkillers, 49p for 14 allergy tablets etc. I was caught out once for indigestion medicine and it sickened me to pay more than I usually pay for multiple painkillers, allergy tablets, indigestion, diarhoea, constipation, etc. etc. all combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Do they give you the third degree up north up if you want to buy some Solpadeine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's no such thing as "nostalgia" for just a few years ago.

Fuck all was different. Jan 2015 was only 84 months ago.

If you you said 1994 and 1995, you might have point.

Little bit but good bit less than here. Short of literally walking out and straight back in they're grand.

The limit on paracetamol etc. is more annoying but if you have someone with you they'll let you just split them that way. Plus there's usually another couple of places in sight where you can get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep I totally understand what you're saying and it's a thought that's crossed my mind multiple times. I specifically mentioned the Algarve as it has a good healthcare system and the bonus of a lot of English speaking doctors in the area. But as I said, it's only a dream. Unless I come into some serious money in the next 15 years, I won't be going anywhere ☹️😁.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭OEP

So your effective tax rate is around 18% - that's low. You'd be paying a lot more tax in other European countries, but you wouldn't have to pay for the doctor etc.

I enjoyed page 1 a lot, twenty odd posts of all the things wrong with the place (agreed with most of them, btw!) and then the record-stop "brrrp" sound as the two halves of the debate all agreeing with each other realised they all fundamentally disagreed with the root causes "we're a lefty paradise!" "no we're a right wing shithole!"

extremism starts when you idealise your own solutions, simplify real world problems to trite soundbites and think anyone disagreeing with you is a moron or evil, and alas in between all that the political parties of the day- govt and main opposition- dont even have to try in order to keep their gigs, they just have to point each side of the population at the other and let them swing themselves out.

When people emigrated in the 80s it was tragic, when they emigrated in the 90s it was a lark, then it was tragic again and now people just talk about doing it and that's tragic too

Things arent perfect anywhere and things were never perfect anywhere and thats not the fault of anyone, but opportunity exists here the same as it does anywhere else for anyone with the stuff to grasp it.

• Advertisement

I don't think Ireland is particularly left wing or right wing. The politicians, like many, just try to go with whatever way the wind is blowing and that's what leads to messes that we end up with.

Just as an example, mass immigration is a right-wing/corporatist policy. However, USA being the prime example, the GoP campaign against it publicly while the Democrats are on the other side. So when negative consequences are felt the blame falls on the side who by their apparent ideology shouldn't be to blame for it.

Similarly in Ireland, subsidies for rent on the surface appear to be a left wing position. But it (rent) is a necessity for most who pay it so the market gets massively disrupted and wealth flows upwards even more. Removing such subsidies is a lot harder politically than bringing them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cheap labour and driving down wages/conditions has always been a love of the right. That's why they are in favour of immigration. They may talk the big talk about being "anti" immigration, but the fact of the matter is they have always been well disposed to it. It's a neo-liberal policy that's pursued by the right in every country they rule in. Yet there's a persistence that it is somehow the left that drive this policy who, in fairness, are interested in the free movement of people. But for vastly different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

You are in for a shock when you venture to the rest of the world.

Well the narrative tends to be formed by the fact that the Right will publicly blow dog whistles and sometimes outright come out against it. Meanwhile the Left seem to view it in "humanitarian" terms no matter the actual circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say we're right wing economically and left wing socially.

I emigrated. last year I was getting fed up living in a shithole. I had a good job, decent wages and even had a 6 figure deposit for an apartment/house. But because I'm in my 40s it was going to be damn hard to get a place anywhere near dublin. I was a bit fed up with the job although I did love the company. So I switched my linkedin to available for opportunities. I got asked if I'd want to work in Dusseldorf. I interviewed and got it.

Here in Dusseldorf I pay higher taxes than at home. When bonuses etc are included I'm actually on a lower gross wage and being taxed more on it. But I have an apartment, at ~100m2, that's 4 times the size of the one I had at home in Kildare. And it's 1100 a month (excluding bills) which is only slightly higher than I was paying in Ireland. I'm a 10 minute walk from their equivalent of Grafton st or O'Connell st. In North Rhine Westphalia, they complain about the rents in Dusseldorf. It's more expensive than cologne or essen or dortmund or anywhere else near here. People here are surprised I pay so much rent. Especially when I could have moved to a cheaper city. But I'm living in the centre of a big european city for a fraction of what I had to pay to live in a different county to where I worked.

Ireland sucks. And it's not because of unemployed people or because of council houses. It's not because of high taxation (I pay higher taxes here). It's because the government allowed developers and landlords to make millions from everyone else. They had years to tackle this and they did nothing because they thought they could get away with it and they're obsessed with a free market ideology when it comes to the property market.

And no, I'm not a shinner. I'd never vote for them. But I do hate FF/FG. And one of my regrets about moving is that I won't be able to vote against them in the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

If you have a degree then look into doing a TEFL course and set your sights on SE Asia, Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia would be good options.

Wages for native English speaking teachers there are about $1200 per month and quite a few schools there will provide you with accommodation.

It'd be well worth your while to save up a few quid before you go as an "oh sh1t" fund. My understanding is that you can also continue to pay PRSI contributions remotely while abroad so you would still be eligible for full state pension at retirement age.

• Advertisement

This is an interesting and valuable perspective imo

I must say any time Ive passed through that neck of germany it always struck me as a great place to live, is that the case

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yes this is wrong. Why not give every worker a few free gp visits per year. This would be a progressive society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oooh, I think the Marxists just collectively sighed!

Seriously, though, GP visits should be covered by health insurance (at least a certain number per year).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yes let workers have a few visits per year, after all people are paying prsi and yet nothing in the way of support. Just wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Whilst I understand the concept behind what you're saying, I don't think that's really the effect. The price is the as high as the highest-bidding-person is willing to take. Even if 95% of people say "Nope, that's too much, the tax bill every year will kill me", the other 5% who are fighting over it are the ones who will actually set the price, the other 95% may as well not exist. And when that 5% are California or Washington transplants like myself, we don't even notice the tax bill. It's all a hell of a lot cheaper no matter what its composition.

Every State needs to get their operating costs covered somehow. In Texas, it's property tax, but there's no income tax, so if you're renting, you can get quite a decent amount of 'net' dollars a year. The other advantage is that your tax bill is known at the beginning of the year, whereas in income tax states, it's dependent on how much you work. I found that on my own, the CA income tax and property tax about equalled the TX Property tax, but when my wife's income got added in, the CA tax bill shot up, but TX's stayed the same.

If you can't handle heat, though, be cautious about central or Southern Texas. July and August can be brutal. They weren't this year, for some reason, though.

I knew a girl from Helsinki that said the same. You just don't go out in winter. At least not for long anyway. She also worked in Norway for a bit up the north, near Narvik. Said it was just miserable. Pitch black and freezing cold for about half the year."

I've encountered quite a few people who are either from or did tours of duty in Alaska. They've all loved it out there, and they say they particularly like it in Winter. I have absolutely no idea why, it's not for me (Though I will admit my visit in the height of summer was lovely). When deciding where to move to after bailing from California, we drew a line across the middle of the US and said "Not north of that...."

My parents decided to move to Vienna. They really like it there, it was their last foreign duty station, and they decided to rent a place. In fairness, it's a pretty city, and very well located to go travelling. I think they spend more time there than in their house in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you havent settled down with kids then get the **** out of here, Ireland only exists now to generate revenue for the government rather than allow the its citizens a decent standard of living from their earnings

It's not revenue for the government. If it was, then we might have better public services. It's to generate money for businesses. The housing market is the prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

gone from Ireland to the UK nearly 10 years now, left mid 20s.

Had I stuck around, I wouldn't have had the same opportunities in Ireland, probably still living at home, barely running a car.

on the flip side, I would like to move back and raise our young family in Ireland, so we are closer to family and friends. But I can honestly say I probably wouldn't survive unless we moved down the country, as I'm mid career where I can't get junior roles (and being honedt, I don't want to take a step back) but haven't the experience for senior roles (well technically I do, but Ireland is very competitive in the tech world, and a guy who meets the mark from the UK, is far down the list of local exceptional candidates.... I need to be outstanding)

I also wonder do I want to have my kids grow up in the environment Ireland is slowly turning into?

Agreed. TEFL is a decent option, and depending on the country in question, and what qualifications you have, you can get a decent income from it. Due to low costs of living, and often the package of free accommodation, you can save the vast majority of an income.

Re PRSI payments towards the pension that doesn't work with most? Asian countries. It's only those countries that have signed into a European framework agreement for taxation/contributions. I know that my own salaries weren't allowed to contribute when I worked in China and Japan. All the same though, you can make very good money, save it, and then later, allocate it towards a pension of your own.

In terms of money/returns, Japan/S.Korea/China remain the most profitable... and generally provide a better standard of living, while also being much safer overall (violence, drugs, etc). With China, a Bachelor degree is adequate for teaching at University levels, earning less than private schools, but also working far less (generally speaking Universities can't give you more than 20 hours of work to do)... allowing you to look elsewhere (external gigs, or working online) for an income while your visa is completely secure.

I did over a decade in Asia (mostly China) teaching initially TEFL, and then moved into subject teaching/lecturing. It's a very rewarding experience. Highly recommended.

Sure, but it's also to generate money for those who can game the system. Not a bash at genuinely poor people btw. However, a lot of government expenditure is aimed at supporting people who contribute very little to the economy (both native/foreign, and also organisations like NGOs)... and that expenditure tends to increase each year.

You think the reason we have **** services is because the government lacks revenue? They're **** because we accept **** services, regardless of how much money is pissed up against the wall on them

The 'government' isn't the politicians you elect, it's the many thousands of public sector workers, who in Ireland, are amongst the most highly paid in the world, and are always looking for significant pay rises. If you have ever wondered why this country has such a high cost of living - there it is - plus the silly levels of social welfare spending. To fund every public sector pay rise and boondoggle, like pensions, taxes are increased to fund it, or expenditure on services are cut to fund it.

"But if the UK public sector is full of "fat cats", the Irish public sector is full of "morbidly obese cats"."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2010/dec/06/ireland-public-sector-fat-cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I'm coming back to Ireland but not because I failed and certainly not because of money but because I miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Let's get down to brass tacks. The main reason for young people to emigrate right now is housing cost and availability.

It seems to me moving to another lower cost city or town in Ireland could be a better option than hot footing it overseas. Might work out better for families too.

I'm planning on moving back and more and more I'm thinking of finding a smaller town or city to move to evne though originally I was set on the big smoke. It seems to me places such as Wexford or Waterford (as examples ) or nicer suburbs of Cork could offer a lot of value especially in these days of remote working. I would even contemplate parts of Northern Ireland .

Remote working or pursuing a career or business that allows you to live in a cheaper more relaxed place...

A lot of these economic ssues such as tax , insurance , medical , housing costs do concern me so that is why I'm trying to build a warchest before moving back.

I should add living in a low tax country on a high wage is a good way to put together that warchest. I have heard of teachers going to work in the middle East to do that and it's a sensible strategy .

Portugal looks appealing to me also in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

What income tax does this homeowner pay? here for every ten thousand earned, over 36,000 or thereabouts. Its 5000 , out of the 10,000. 36k is a pittance of an income to hit with a fifty percent marginal rate. Transport, health, housing, law and order etc are all a disgrace! There isnt a single cosmopolitan city in the country...

I think it will be fascinating to see the emigration, once some normality resumes, once covid has died down. Its funny, Ireland could be booming, unlike the last exodus, but there has possibly been no worse time in our recent history, to stay on this island...

I read an artile in the Irish times the other day, roughly 20,000 homes built. 7,000 of those, were available to joe soap off the street, 7,000 a year, in a population of over 5,000,000. The housing crisis or gift in the governments eyes, is only going to get worse too...

We need a new common sense, no BS party! Its not SF and its obviously not FFG. Dont hold you breath for one either! The media will persecute any party, that doesnt put "de vulneable" at #1

• Advertisement

20,000 homes built, compare that to amount of immigrants coming into the country, like trying to hold back the tide with a sieve 🤣

Like I said, Ireland now exists to generate revenue for the Government not to generate wealth for its citizens, you will be fucked over repeatedly so long as the government recieve it's cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What makes Ireland so attractive for immigrants?

Where are these low cost towns people are meant to move to? In my town of under 40k people the cheapest shittiest house is 1200 a month.

If I'm going to move 4 or 5 hours away so that I can get cheaper rent why would I limit myself to Ireland in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mysteriouschic1

I've been thinking about it to somewhere like Mexico or if possible Florida .

It all depends what jobs are like over there or if there was a way to transfer to a job there. Not sure if I would leave without a job confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say Dublin isn't per se an ugly city but the main issue is housing, housing and again housing no matter if it's flats or houses for families. There is simply no place to live, rents for a one bedroom are beyond reach, even for one in the 40's and 50's, that is if one is lucky enough to get a rental contract, any rental contract. And who wants to live in a flat share with a bunch of strangers during Covid 19? Even London in the UK and all the issues around Brexit in the UK still make the UK attractive to go to, and renting in London is cheap and easy compared to Dublin.

If you're planning on leaving Dublin I wouldn't blame you at all and if you're young then international experience never hurts, and Dublin will also be there in 10 or 20 years, - that is if property and rental prices normalize.

I am surprised that IT companies like Salesforce, Microsoft, Google or Facebook are attracting talent. From what I've heard they have high turnover of staff, just because of the housing crisis, and these companies don't really pay that badly. It's just that Dublin has become unlivable with the sky high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I disagree. I think Dublin is a kip of a city. Bar Ballsbridge, the city is a grim place. I lived there for 4 years and I’ll be honest I ran out of it. It kills me to see it the way it is and the way it has been for the last few years. Thankfully when I was there rent wasn’t what it is now but jaysus it’s a horrible place to live.

I haven't been there lately, I must admit. I was in Dublin last in 2017 and finding rental accommodation was impossible no matter how low your expectations were.

To judge that Dublin is a horrible place to live means you have to find a place to live in first to come to that judgement. I find that rather impossible.

Renting a studio apartment in London UK, even places like Clapham or Richmond is way easier, and I have first hand experience.

The fundamental problem in Dublin is that with low taxes they attract big IT players from the US to set up office in the city, but then there is no real housing for their employees. Thus I understand that people are pissed of about that.

Employment opportunities. Ireland has been promoted internationally as a successful economy for decades now, and regardless of any problems within our economy/society, people are going to focus on the positives... and those positives will be employment opportunities, and the high standard of living. They won't be thinking of how expensive it is here, the lack of housing, etc. At least not until they've been here a while.

For sale maisonette in Hanioti 100 sqm.

plot of exclusive use 150 sqm.

2 bedrooms living room kitchen bathroom and wc.

Furnished with all electrical appliances.

Drainage.

Parking.

It has its own water.

Mosquito screens.

Individual heating.

300 m from the beach.

€220,000

https://www.vdrealestate.gr/properties/55-%CF%80%CF%89%CE%BB%CE%B5%CE%AF%CF%84%CE%B1%CE%B9-%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%B6%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%AD%CF%84%CE%B1-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7-%CF%87%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%B9%CF%8E%CF%84%CE%B7.html

• Advertisement

Not really. When you look at social welfare expenditure, most of it is on the elderly. And even for the stuff that isn't, a lot of the money is spent badly. The government gives free/subsidised housing by paying private landlords. So they pump money back into private hands because they're ideologically opposed to public ownership.

Note, that I said supporting people who contribute very little to the economy, such as the NGOs. There's a rash of activists, organisations and NGOs which the government supports to represent various disadvantaged groups, or agendas.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that the money is aimed at private hands, just that there's more going on than just them. Theres the people and organisations that game the system. So much wastage.

To judge that Dublin is a horrible place to live means you have to find a place to live in first to come to that judgement. I find that rather impossible.

I lived in Dublin for almost two years, living in three different locations within the city proper. Since then, I've lived abroad in... 9 cities (two capitals, and the remainder having populations higher than 3 million people).. and Dublin is a kip. It's improved a lot during certain periods, but when it improves, it comes back down again hitting a new low.

The fundamental problem with Dublin is that it's a dirty, grimy city, with little inclination to make it safer for the people who stay there. It can be a very fun city, but the fun available doesn't warrant the cost to live there. I'd say that the majority of my friends who have lived and left Dublin, said that their problem was either the scummy dirty environment, or the feeling that it was not safe.

I've been back in Ireland for two years now, looking for work for the last year, and while there's loads of work there... I have zero interest moving there again. If I fail to find decent work outside Dublin, I'll move abroad again. Honestly, I'd need to be offered some serious salary/benefits to encourage me to live there again, and then, I'd probably live outside and commute.

The current housing crisis in Ireland can hardly be described as a high standard of living, but foreigners coming into the country lured by employment opportunities at various American IT businesses certainly don't know that, plus they are also young, straight out of university and probably a bit naïve (as we all were when we were young) and oblivious to the housing crisis. They end up living in some house or flat share which can often only be found via various facebook groups. The jobs they fill usually require foreign and native language skills, thus they don't really compete with the Irish on the job market.

Also these American IT companies pay for relocation ( sometimes up to 9000 Euros ) provided that their employees stay at least for one year. After one year they usually move on due to lack of housing, getting sick of the property market and the internal tricks and games by their managers and/or hard to achieve performance targets. Thus the high turnover of employees at Oracle, Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Salesforce.

Among the winners are either Irish landlords charging high rents, the Irish tax man cashing in on tax of revenue made from renting or Irish recruitment companies having recurring business year on year.

I'd agree with the fact that certain parts of Dublin are dirty and grimy, but that's in any city in Europe. Back in 2017 I certainly never felt unsafe in Dublin, however I've always felt that "if push came to shove I'd have no support and nobody would care" kind of feeling. Public transport and Dublin Bus is not very reliable, but the LUAS is certainly good.

The prices in supermarkets tend to be higher than in the UK, or other EU countries, rents certainly are very high, even higher than London or Paris. Opportunities with big name American IT companies, yes, but it's mostly "inside sales roles" with hard to reach sales targets, or internal political sales targets.

Except that I didn't describe the housing crisis as being a high standard of living. You did.

I've been an expat for 14 years living outside of Ireland, and I didn't look at the wide range of negatives when choosing a place. I tended to pick out a number of positives, and use that as the basis for my decision (except where the work was the primary reason, and the location was secondary to that).

Do a search for Ireland online, and view the kind of reports available from a simple google search. The vast majority are sites giving Ireland glorious reviews... which will be the case for most migrants coming here. They'll search online to see if there are any obvious red flags, but a housing crisis isn't going to be listed as such. Even during the height of the Barcelona rental issues, there were placed available to rent (I had no problems finding a place anyway), and the same happens for Ireland. The true issue is for those who want to buy, and that's not generally an issue for initial immigration.

Oh, and I've had two foreign friends (Chinese) move to Dublin this year (in the last 12 days actually), and they got rental places really quickly. But then, they're professionals, earning good money, and their companies provide rent relief for their employees.

I haven't been to Dublin recently, but back in 2017 finding a one bedroom apartment for rent in Dublin was a nightmare. I recall queues outside of every apartment when there was a viewing organized by an estate agent, and often I was viewing with 30 or 40 others. I could hardly call this a high standard and neither was the quality of construction of the property, it was actually below average by EU standards. Maybe it's easier now, during the pandemic, I don't know.

The subject Dublin housing crisis sure doesn't get a lot of coverage, and as google search results are concerned, they can give results as they please. It's called "Search Engine Optimization". After all Google invested in Ireland, thus they have to tell the world that the investment is a great choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The amount of houses and apartments bought by MNCs to house their employees in Dublin in 2019 and early 2020 was insane. A friend of mine lives in Ballsbridge and two houses beside him were bought by a bug US firm who house employees there. Rent is taken from their wages each month. Huge amount of corporate owned residential properties in Dublin, or at least there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

You see, the problem is we don’t have a centre right populist party. Society as a whole has moved very far to the left and FG/FF will wear any face as long as they think it will get them votes. Once upon a time that was right wing and traditionalist, now it’s far left identity politics.

Oh, I've heard from other friends that its next to impossible to find a decent place within a reasonable price range, especially for anyone wanting to solo rent. Which honestly bothers me, as by the time I'd reached my 40s, I'd already decided never to share again.. but Dublin seems to be the kind of place where it's hard to avoid that, unless you're willing to pay the big bucks... or simply stay in the outer suburbs and commute. (although, then again, I'm used to long commutes from living abroad, from 1-3 hours, and I doubt Dublin is worse than that)

I am only guessing that some apartments or a larger number of apartments are reserved by bigger corporations, not American IT companies, but financial companies on some right of first refusal basis to their employees relocating to Dublin.

I also doubt that 1600 Euros per month will get you a one bedroom in Dublin, I'd say, you're looking more at 1800 per month, if it's supposed to be something halfway decent. And then there are certainly "bidding wars" with several punters. With utter certainty, London, Paris and Frankfurt or Munich are offering more quality for money in this aspect and offer more culture and museums on top. Thus it doesn't surprise me, if the ongoing housing crisis is leading to thoughts of Irish people considering emigrating again.

Apparently things in Dublin are that bad that sex for rent seems to come up: ( I am not in doubt that this doesn't happen in other cities in the EU, but considering Dublin's exorbitant rents it doesn't surprise me)

I don’t get that. Inland Spain is dirt cheap. As is rural france and Italy. Just be close to a reasonable sized town with some medical facilities

• Advertisement
Advertisement