Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Who said they welcomed him with open arms? Was he invited or did he just show up and shove his nose into something that was none of his business?

Djokovic is not a rabid anti-vaxxer

ever since real actual vaccines came out this year, so it was an actual choice for people around the world he has refused to be drawn on the issue precisely because he didn't want to be a totem pole for the online anti-vaxx loopers

He said this in April 2021

He also organised a vaccine drive a the Serbian open

and has all of 2021 at all ever said what his vaccine intentions were

That is not a rabid anti-vaxxer

he doensn't want to have to get the vaccine himself, that's it

“I don’t want to be involved in one team or another. If I say yes or not, I join a team so to speak, and there is a lot of conflict between both sides," Novak Djokovic said at the Serbian Open after being asked for his views on the coronavirus vaccination programme. He also said he would keep his vaccination plans to himself

you do realise that that makes absolutely zero sense having had the explanation

repeating for effect!

probably enough now - if you haven't got it by now then....

the logic is staggeringly simple

if the agent hadn't made that mistake and put in / declared the Serbia to Spain travel it would not have been a "not getting in" aspect to going to Australia

there was no deliberate reason to lie on that

if it would have meant him not getting in it would be a reason to lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why do all ye pro-Djokovic give so much of a sh1t?

Genuine question. Have ye been all mad big fans of his for years, or even big fans of tennis? Or are ye just cranky about covid and want to project some moaning through him?

He's a multi-millionaire who thought the rules didn't apply to him and that he was better than all the little people he wanted to sh1t all over by bypassing all the rules and restrictions that they have to follow. Fu^k him. I'm not losing any sleep over him.

Boris Johnson/Djokovic/whoever. Rules are for them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

bless.. mayb they have nothing better to do 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They thought they had a victory against the deep state/freemasons/Jeff Besoz who are trying to enslave us with 5G magnetic vaccines.

They have dug too deep into Novak's bullsht to try turning round now so just have to defend this dung hill for dear life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why do the Australian government ask about travel movements for 14 days before entry?

Surely the answer has a bearing on whether one will be allowed enter the country or a bearing on how that person is handled on entering the country such as requiring quarantine etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I'm not on YouTube or Facebook so no idea what your on about

Do you disagree with the fact that having had covid gives better antibodies than the vaccine ?

Bingo. They're too far gone to be able to turn around now. This thread was full of anti-vax posters defending him...... not because they thought he was right, but because they thought he was getting one over on the pro-vaccine side. Soon as it was announced he was gone, they deserted their ship like the scurrying little rats that they are. Bar a few brave souls, too balls-deep to extricate themselves from the nonsense.

If the decision had gone the other way, and he was allowed play, this thread would be full to the brim of sore winners, jumping up and down and rubbing everyone else's face in it. Because that's what it's all about to them. Not the tennis, not the Ozzies, not the safety of people, hell.... Not even Djokovic. Half the mouth breathers couldn't even spell his name correctly, and the rest would sooner gargle barbed wire than have to interact with a Serbian. It's all about political point scoring, getting one over on the other side.

But, like I said, they're gone. And we're left with the dregs. People who keep posting the same crap repeatedly, even though it doesn't even bear resemblance to an actual sentence.

"if the agent hadn't made that mistake and put in / declared the Serbia to Spain travel it would not have been a "not getting in" aspect to going to Australia"

Still don't know what that's supposed to mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

having consulted the Migration Act 1958 I would be of the opinion that the Minister's personal power is indeed final and not subject to review.

S474 of the Migration Act 1958 reads:-

Decisions under Act are final           

(1) A privative clause decision:

(a) is final and conclusive; and

(b) must not be challenged, appealed against, reviewed, quashed or called in question in any court; and

(c) is not subject to prohibition, mandamus, injunction, declaration or certiorari in any court on any account.

(2) In this section:

"privative clause decision" means a decision of an administrative character made, proposed to be made, or required to be made, as the case may be, under this Act

Such privative clause restrictions have been subject to many challenges in the courts over the years, some successful to a certain degree, and some not so, however I would think he will need to go to the Supreme Court with this one rather than the Federal Circuit and Family Court, but, we will wait and see what happens.

Have heard that a fast track court appearance rather than an interview may be starting at 10.15 AEDT Saturday (which is in about 5 minutes our time) so we may find out more very soon.

Maybe Djokovic is just a bit thick that he can't remember where he was a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

He didn't follow the rules.

If you don't follow the rules then you must answer for not following the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kerry_man15

He hasn't had his visa cancelled for breaking any laws though....it was cancelled because they think it'll promote ant-vaccination if he stays!!

This government (Liberal party) has members in it who are openly anti-vaccination ie George Christensen (who compared vaccine mandates to apartheid but the government gave us all the 'nothing to see here' treatment over that! If that's their reasoning for cancelling Novac's visa then Christensen has to be stood down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I have been a big fan of Djokovic for years, but I like all tennis players more or less.

I also am against the pressure placed on unvaccinated people in general, and I also have little regard for the Australian authorities since the beginning of covid - particularly in Victoria!

So it's the perfect storm for me.

However I accept Djokovic made too many errors of judgement which don't stand up to scrutiny. I don't expect him to be allowed to play now.

But like I said upthread they should have made it easy for him to get in in the first place and relaxed their harsh, unbearable, failed and unjustifiable rules - for everyone, including people who want to see their dying parents.

Everyone who supported pandemic restrictions seems to feel they have to double-down on the worst myopic bureaucratic regulations separating families from each other.

Maybe if some disobedient tennis player gets a taste of how unfair it is it it'll salve everyone's conscience for making people miss their parent's funerals?

Full hearing 09.30 AEDT Sunday morning which is 22.30 tomorrow night our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why would the minister's legal team be against a full hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Glasso you know at this stage Djokovic and his team has fucked up a few times , the Australians more but he really can't have too many complaints if he doesn't get to play. I hope he does because it will be a better a tournament , **** it. But I don't think he's any rights any more with this tournament. Let's see what happens!

• Advertisement

Because it would bypass a level of appeal.

It's potentially in Novak's favour, otherwise would prolong things even more if he loses and then appeals to a full bench, Monday is fast approaching!

But was he not given an exemption, along with some conditions, which was already a special exception made for him, but even then still took the pi$s?

I mean he was being allowed in even without the vaccine just as long as he played ball. And the conditions don't seem to have been that onerous.

He hasn't had his visa cancelled for breaking any laws though....it was cancelled because they think it'll promote ant-vaccination if he stays!!

Also, and potentially more importantly because there was a false declaration on his Travel Declaration and the fact he ignored isolation rules after testing positive last month and then did an interview with a journalist.

There are RULES.

We must ALL follow these RULES.

Novak broke these rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's how visas for international travel work

Where is he staying between now and the hearing? In detention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

He definitely will not be playing in the Aussie Open... very much looks like this from the way the legal case is going.

In fact he will be lucky he doesn't jeopardize he chances of playing in the Aussie Open for the next 3 years.

He (and/ or his team) deliberately made false declarations on his Visa application, claiming he was exempt cause he had caught Covid in Dec (which would have increased his immune defenses) >>>( this is only an exemption for Australian nationals). Plus had traveled to Spain ( no international travel is allowed for 14 days before traveling to Oz).

Turns out he had an Interview with a journalist from L'Equipe and it seems he handed out trophies to kids in Serbia all while he should have been isolating having tested positive days earlier.

Its this that really annoys me most of all, it demonstrates that he doesn't give a flying F about spreading a highly dangerous virus to anyone who crosses his path.

He should be deported asap.

-------------------------------------------

He will now be known as NoVaxx Covid Jock. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Novak v The Australian Government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

He’s an absolute selfish **** who doesn’t give a flying fuk about anyone else … kick him out and good riddance to him… hope his career is fuct after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why is Djokovic appealing? If he wins they'll just kick him out over the lies on his application.

No...this isn't about his travel declaration at all...From the Sydney Morning Herald...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/australia-declares-djokovic-a-risk-to-civil-order-and-public-health-20220114-p59oex.html

"The furious debate that had engulfed Djokovic for the past 10 days – whether a recent bout of COVID-19 provided him with a genuine exemption to travel to Australia without being vaccinated – has been abandoned by the government without Mr Hawke even reading Djokovic’s extensive submissions on the question.

Instead, the case is now headed to the Federal Court and will be argued on dramatically new grounds at a public hearing before Justice David O’Callaghan at 10.15am Saturday.

Mr Hawke’s detailed reasons for his decision to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time since his arrival in Australia late on January 5, revealed by this masthead, portray the nine-time Australian Open winner as a menace to both public health and public order."

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

That's absolutely outrageous if true. So it's not even about the Spain/Form fandango.

They simply don't like the cut of his jib?

Exactly....and the gross hypocrisy is that they have members of their own government who have been very vocal promoting anti-vaccine sentiment.

I can't see how they can win on this ground seeing as they have not taken similar measures against other unvaccinated people.

If the Sydney Morning Herald actually read the document they quote they would see that the false declaration on his Travel Declaration and the fact he ignored isolation rules after testing positive last month and then did an interview with a journalist were also factors considered when issuing the 113C(3) order, yes there is the heavy point made about anti vaccination, but it's not the only point considered.

For anyone interested here are the official court documents:-

https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/services/access-to-files-and-transcripts/online-files/djokovic/filed-documents/Sealed-Affidavit-Bannister-1512022.pdf

The 113C(3 ) detailed letter is from around page 13 onwards.

"I can't see how they can win on this ground seeing as they have not taken similar measures against other unvaccinated people"

What other people have been in the same situation that they failed to revoke their visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm pretty sure he'll automatically be banned from entering Australia for 3 years now

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unless you're a child, you specifically fill in those immigration forms yourself. They're not for an admin to do precisely to avoid these mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

If you think the pro-Djokovic posters on this thread are bad, you should see the ones on Twitter.

The whole lot of them need to give their head a wobble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Serbs screaming persecution because a tennis player being detained is a touch ironic for me.

You would think they'd be less keen on slanging that word around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

mayb glasso is NoVacc Jok in disguise.. 😉.. trying convince himself that "he knew nothing about the CONVENIENTLY unticked box" lollllll

"IT WASN'T ME - IT WAS MY AGENT"...

i'm knocking great craic outta this.. lol

No Father, 'tis my money, I just didn't want to fill out the forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They're odd fish the old Serbs.

The term ultra-nationalism could have been coined for them. Since the Balkan Wars too and the humiliation of Milosevic, Karadzic and Maldic in front a an international tribunal, they have shown an intense sense of national paranoia and ridiculous reactionary behaviour, like the Ultras of Red Star live in every household. Even before that, in longer history, they would have had a sense of grandiose self-importance in the geopolitics of their corner of the World, that most of the time was groundless.

And so a humiliation of Djokovic really is perceived as an attack on all Serbia, instead of the more accurate perception of a reflected shame, that Ireland would associate with Michelle Smith, for example.

However, as the saying goes, they will just have to construct a bridge over the Danube and get over it. Anyway, they have Nigel Farage over there to help them through their darkest hour, what more could they need.

The fact is the Australians didn't make any reference to the the 14 day recent travel box LIE / error in their submissions and statements on cancelling Djokovic's visa the second time

Informed commentators online don't place significance on it either because it's just not substantive

as explained if it was declared it wouldn't have stopped Djokovic entering

so there was no actual reason to lie

also as explained Djokovic travels very extensively every year and is one of the most prominent sports stars in the world - it's just a fact that Djokovic offloads admin tasks to other people as his job is being good at tennis, being involved in the tennis player's unions and doing other stuff like charity work.

It might be hard to relate to this for the sort of people concerned about the 10c increase in a bag of popcorn but that's just not the life of Djokovic

He may offload admin tasks, but he remains responsible for their accuracy. He signs the declaration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Maybe he did. I'd still classify forging a document to say i had a disease that has killed millions of people worldwide and changed millions more lives unimaginably, just so i could play in a tennis tournament as scumbag behaviour though.

yes you're correct

I'm not disputing that in the slightest

but the point about no motivation to lie and substantivenss still is valid imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Serbia should declare war on Australia and invade next winter. This decision cannot be accepted.

but there is no proof (and actually no allegations from anyone like the Australian government) that he forged anything about his Covid Test which he used to obtain the exemption for the reason of "recent Covid"

The Australian immigration minister Hawke yesterday conceded that Djokovic actually had a valid medical exemption when he arrived last week

In a radical reframing of the case against the Serbian tennis star, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke concedes the unvaccinated Djokovic entered Australia with a valid medical exemption and poses a low risk of contracting the virus while in Australia and passing it on to others due to his recent infection.

Which considering that last week that was the very reason what they stopped him at the airport and cancelled his visa is a complete about turn / moving the goalposts on their part

"World number one men's tennis player Novak Djokovic failed to provide sufficient proof to receive a medical exemption to enter Australia, prime minister Scott Morrison has confirmed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Djokovic has $2,875,000 reasons to lie. People have murdered other people for far less, let alone told porkies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement