Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Sure some fans still reckon Liverpool orchestrated the 1st game being called off. Even though it meant Liverpool lost the advantage of playing at home for the 2nd leg.

And they also called foul when the covid tests proved to be false negatives. Even though testing is done by an independent 3rd party.

I wonder will they call shenanigans again now that it's Arsenal trying to get their game at the weekend called off? Gabriel and Xhaka are suspended for that, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Losing players because they're brainless idiots shouldn't count. That's Xhaka every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Saw someone else post it earlier in the thread but sticking with the same midfield once they'd had a man sent off was foolish until H/T and then downright negligent to start the 2nd half with the same midfield. It felt as if at times last night that we were inflicting punishment on ourselves on top of missing the 3 African lads. Instead of mitigating for their absence, we seemed to exaggerate it. We often say what a decent squad that we have - 2 players for every position but that's patently bollocks. We may have the players but we don't have the players to really step up once you hollow out the squad even slightly.

City and Chelsea are outliers in this regard but the fact that we've had 2 or 3 summers to address this - we could even start addressing it this month - is negligent from top to bottom in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The PL have opened a can of worms letting Leicester postpone their game when they were able to play last weekend. Teams are now trying to pull fast ones, having players suspended is punishment so should not count in availability issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not a good game for Mané is something that gets said a lot these days. Almost every game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TO be fair he was MOM on his last game & was also brilliant against Chelsea,

Even at his worst he is more dangerous than Jota,Bobby or Taki where last night ,

Mane is being held to the same standards as Mo which is a little unfair he isn't as good but he he is still brilliant

Remember last year in Rashford's best season for United, Mane outscored him from open play in his worst , there are levels to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

credit to arsenal last night,they normally crumble in those circumstances, as abject as we were they played with plenty of spirit,so kudos to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes this is the point I was trying to make. These investors buy clubs like Liverpool, UTD etc because of the huge commercial revenue potential. People who think Liverpool have to be winning on the field don't understand what these investments are about, no shareholder would back such an investment that profitability is dependent upon on field success. There is just too many variables that make that strategy too risky with such huge sums of money involved.

Unfortunately fans and shareholders are of two completely different mind-sets when it comes to what we perceive as success for the club!

True but it would have been so Arsenal of Arsenal if Taki had of scored ( he 100% should have )

They still have 90 minutes to Arsenal it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wouldn't really compare the ownership of Liverpool to United. The glazers are pulling handsome dividends annually out of the club, fsg haven't taken a penny out to be fair but standing still isn't the right direction either.

I wasn't comparing the way they run the clubs. I was just making the point that on field success does not have the same influence on the clubs annual profit margans as it once did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That may well be the case, but, everyone loves winners, sponsors and fans worldwide flock to them, thus generating more revenue. Of course FSG can coast along going for top 4 without properly investing in the squad, but, they'll soon find themselves outside the top 4 and becoming also rans. The sponsors and fans worldwide will then choose another club to latch onto and once you're outside that top 4 it's difficult to get back in as we know. In the next 3 or 4 seasons the whole landscape will have changed, the current squad will be more or less gone as could Klopp himself, Newcastle will be a serious top 4 contender, possibly even title contender, City, Chelsea and United will continue to spend and even Arsenal look like they have turned a corner and beginning to spend again, so not investing properly is not an option, in fact its financially irresponsible.

Off course everyone loves winners and it pleases sponsors and everything that goes with it. But modern day sports ownership or franchise as our crowd would call it in the states is all about marketing and brand. Arsenal are a good example, they have actually had more growth than us financially since 2010 but have they have done very little on the field that has attributed to it. Their value has actually grown as massive 23% in the last 3 years while lingering around the middle of the table.

I was only trying to make this point earlier and it's dragged on now. I'm not having a go at FSG as I think they're very responsible owners and have us in a good place that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Be very careful what you wish for, the grass is rarely greener on the other side. Just ask United, Leeds, Portsmouth or Everton fans and if you're hoping for corrupt oil or sportswashing money to take over LFC then best of luck with that but I for one would immediately renounce my support as it would no longer be the club I want to be associated with.

The negativity is depressing.

The club is in a fantastic place. Anfield is super these days with another 7k seats on the way. We've recently broken that long run without a league, and added another big ears.

We have the best player in the world, and one of, if not the best coach in the world.

It's like an echo chamber in here after a bad result. A draw even..

Imagine supporting Spurs, Arsenal or Utd if you think we're in a bad place. Or heaven forbid Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think people are happy with our successes but standing still and staring at them isn’t going to keep us competitive.

I think there has been some amazing ground work laid down while Klopp has been manager but the club has left itself in a precarious position by not signing more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Exactly, no one is saying don't celebrate those successes, instead why not try to replicate it again while we're still near the top, it doesn't take long to get overtaken when you stand still and will become increasingly difficult to remain competitive without some decent investment.

Depends on whether you are content with one league title and a team which seems to be off the pace.

But look, if it is having a negative effect on you mentally, maybe a forum where fans express opinions is not for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Realistically Liverpool have to sell to buy. When you look at the saleable assets in that squad, they are not very saleable really. Outside of the Salahs and VanDijks, would anyone really be interested in paying a decent transfer fee and the high wages of a crock like Oxlade Chamberlain or Keita? Any restructure at Liverpool would require selling the crown jewels and that is unlikely to happen.

Who said they content with one league title? Nobody.

I'm here long enough, same as yourself. We've seen worse.

But we were better. What’s the issue with fans/posters being disappointed?

Covid hit the club at the worst time tbh.

I'd love if they could magic money from nowhere, but the financials took a hammering last season as we know.

The club try to run self sufficiently, or as close to it as possible. Where do people expect the money to appear from? Aside from sales and revenue, unless there's another bucket I'm not aware of.

I'd expect some money to be made available this summer. How much is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've always felt that under Klopp we've never really signed players needed for positions that was glaring obvious to everyone that watches the Liverpool team play.

Saying that Klopp has won the PL and the CL and part of me says feck it, you have to trust this approach but now that himself only has two years left on his contract, I worry were we go from here with a heavily ageing squad.

Surely the way to progress is to add at least one new face every transfer window. If that means just adding the likes of a Shaqiri or a free then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Winning the league was a massive achievement - and one many of us will only be of an age to remember seeing occurring. The champions league is a question often asked "what do you rather win the Premiership or C/L - its hard to call but just as important to win. Anyway since we won both recently in footballing terms, i have to go back and agree with Roy Keane of all people. He said " every year you win a league or cup its on the owners to strengthen the team with a big signing"... It keeps the top players performing and the fringe players want to make it in the team. Liverpool have recently bought just enough to get by or be there or there abouts at the end of the footballing year. I want them to strengthen the squad now with players who will walk into the first eleven.. But the club apart fron vvd and Alisson haven't blown me away with a signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I don't hold Mane to the same standards as Mo, just the standard he himself set for 3 seasons from the 17/18 season to the 19/20 season. He was irreplaceable back then. He has rarely produced that sort of form the last 18 months. I am not going to discuss goal or assist stats and whether they are good or bad. I base my opinion on how I watch him play. There seems to be two areas of his game where he has declined. The first appears to be his confidence and the second he seems to have lost a step in acceleration. His confidence has been affecting his shooting, his ball control and most importantly his decision making. He regularly slows down attacks because he delays a pass/ shot due to indecision and when he does make a decision he often takes the wrong option. One of his biggest strengths used to be him making a run down the side of a centre back with the view of taking him on. He was particularly lethal at getting to the byline near the edge of the small rectangle. I rarely see it from him now, infact it happens too often these days that Roberston doesn't find him nearly as much as he used to in a position where he is making those runs. The fact is we still rely on him because we have no other player that offers the pace and direct running that he used to offer all of the time with great success. These days he offers it far less frequently and with less success but it it needed for our attacking system to work. It is no coincidence that there has been no transfer rumours surrounding Mane this past year linking another big club with interest in him.

So, hopefully a Chelsea win or at least a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Elliott back in team training next week,might we see him back for the Cardiff game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That would be incredible considering how bad the break was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City win, I still think we win the league though. Need to win our games in hand though, then it's ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Nice goal by KDB but Kepa should have saved that, not much hope left for us.

It wasn't actually as bad of a break as it looked, He actually dislocated his ankle and that's why it turned, There was a small fracture and ligament damage,

Andre Gomes made his return to the pitch in February from the tackle from Son and his was also a dislocation with a small fracture

Delighted to see Elliott is nearly back from such a horrendous injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seems like Arsenal's match against Tottenham as been postponed. Will make it interesting if they will have a team for Thursday or if it will need to be postponed as well. Not sure when the match can be played though if it is postponed as we have no dates open to play the match from now to the final. So if Arsenal decide to ask for postponement for Thursday, then they will surely forfeit the match.

I think their team will be much the same, bar Xhaka out due to his red card and then one or two for injuries. The Premier League is a joke with their rules that aren't really rules for postponement. Arsenal having 4 players at the ACN means it is taken into consideration, which is not right. Add in injuries and one or two Covid cases and they are entitled to ask for postponements.

That is what I thought. It looked terrible, but there are worse breaks you can suffer that may not look bad but will take longer to come back from. Tony Finau dislocated his ankle slipping on the Wednesday at the Masters and was able to play the next day. Not saying dislocations are not bad, but I guess it depends on other factors as well.

I hope Elliott is able to get back up to speed quickly as he was on a nice trajectory before the injury.

Such a solid display from City, while playing Bernardo Silva, Sterling, Rodri, Foden, DeBruyne, Grealish.

While we start at home to Arsenal with a midfield full of defensive players.

No comparison really. All those players would cost £60m-+£100m today if they were for sale. They are exceptional in terms of their technical skill so they are so adept at keeping the ball they don't need to have DM's really. The team that has been assembled at MC is a machine to win every match with players that are comparable in their technical skills. So even if they lose Silva or KDB to injury, they have a replacement ready to step in who will not be a downgrade in quality or need to change style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That Arsenal decision is an awful joke, they were able to field a proper team against us and the bench wasn’t lacking either (aside from the fact that Arsenal at full strength are still….Arsenal).

Never mind the match, that entire club should be cancelled.

Maybe I don't get the

''Premier League - To Assist The Most Goals Betting Odds''

But DeBruyne with 1 assist is favourite at 3-1, yet he has only one assist all season.

While Salah and Trent are 20-1, and are so so far out in front of everyone with 9 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Helped that Chelsea showed no real inclination to attack and that Tuchel hasn't even the slightest clue what to do with Lukaku.

• Advertisement

The way Pep looks at it is a player is a player, all top athletes, so you're capable of working endlessly even if you're a luxury player, and if you don't want to fck off I'll get someone who will........but they do, as they know Pep would slaughter them if they didn't.

But I guess he doesn't rely on the full backs, while we do, and it's a one trick pony scenario for us, while City can kill you in countless ways with so many attacking players in midfield, all capable of something game changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I might look to lay a few pound on that. Who offering this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Presume that means that Xhaha and Gabriel are suspended for the match on Thurs now

If they don’t wriggle their way out of that one as well.

Reports Chelsea have put in a £33m bid for Frenkie de Jong.

That would be some signing for them at that price Michael Edwards should be getting involved trying to sign him.

Would be a great replacement for Gini as he has many of the same qualities, but even if we can match Chelsea on the transfer fee, we won’t be able to meet his wage demands given what Chelsea could offer him.

Matching wages would be an issue for sure

However when I loook at the prices quoted for midfielders like Tieleman's or Bissouma at £50m odd it would be some bargain to get de Jong for £33m

We have played against 10 men 6 times this seaosn amd managed one goal in all the time against 10 amd it was a penalty

• Advertisement

Oh it’s definitely a bargain alright, Barcelona (and their creditors) would be licking their lips at the thought of a bidding war for him but if £33m is the starting point, they’re definitely going to make a loss on him one way or another and it’ll be a good value transfer for the club he ends up at.

Advertisement