Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ryan was going great v Scotland until the head injury. He's been good without being brilliant. But he's an easy 7/10, as is Henderson and Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ryan didn't go on the Lions.

Henderson went but hardly featured.

Beirne went exclusively and only as a flanker.

The Lions is utterly irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I think he meant little known Azerbaijani Brayan O'Driskoll or maybe that Greek fella Μπράιαν Ο'Ντρίσκολ then there is the Georgian coach Брайън О'Дрискол

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah, Beirne’s been better than 7/10 for the best part of 12 months now, to be fair. He’s been consistently superb.

Having said that, in terms of selection, Farrell does seem to favour Henderson and Ryan. I considered Beirne extremely unlucky to miss out on the starting spot during the AI’s, but we’re in a great place having 3 quality options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On the topic of the 6N I imagine the 15 who started against New Zealand will be the 15 who start against Wales.

Farrell got some criticism for his lack of rotation but he was vindicated by the performances and results. That being said, I do hope we see some rotation. More minutes for Baloucoune, Baird and Hume would be welcome. I'd also like to see debuts for Frawley and Hansen. If the latter wishes to play for us of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

7/10 is alright but we're talking about the guy who is virtually undroppable for Ireland and Beirne is playing better but can't get ahead of a guy playing 7/10.

Ryan is early in his career but his reputation is better than his performance level at this stage.

He might get an injury free run and become a top player and maybe even a world class second row, but he's not near world class on recent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Even as an Ulster fan I struggle to see where Hume gets minutes. Italy maybe , but the reality is that one of Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose will miss out and would more than likely step in if there is rotation there. Hume needs two injuries, otherwise he is waiting until NZ or even the Autumn.

One other name I'd throw into the mix is Ethan McIlroy, but he hasn't been in camp yet so is a bit down the pecking order. I like Hansen, but as harsh as it may seem I keep seeing his non effort in defence a few weeks back for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yeah, you're absolutely right that there's a logjam at centre and Hume is probably 3rd choice 13 right now. But he's in good form and I like seeing that rewarded. The Italy game is probably the best game for that. Same with Baloucoune and Baird. Would love to see them start.

Although, I don't know if that will actually happen either. We generally make a few changes for that fixture, but we treat it seriously as the 6N deserves. Might see 3 or 4 new players, but the core of the side to remain.

I agree that Hansen has work to do in defence. But so did Lowe and now he appears to have improved on that. Maybe he won't get a start in the upcoming tournament, but 30 mins during a game is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Beirne was out best player in the 6 Nations and our best player against Argentina in November. He's been much better than a 7/10. He should be the first named second row at this stage. He has shown that he's more than capable of calling the lineout as well as having the best all round skillset of any of our forwards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He saves kittens from trees on a regular basis too. I’ve begun printing Beirne for President t-shirts. How many should I put you down for?

• Advertisement

Lets say 5. The number of the shirt he should be wearing come the Wales game. ;)

The way Ryan is picked every time, without reference to his level of performance, you'd think he rescues the kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I'd say wait 'til he gets the Irish captaincy first.

Ryan rescues puppies. And puppies trump kittens.

Surely this is all academic if Henderson isn't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think people look for the wrong things when it comes to Ryan.

People don't see him making game changing turnovers like Beirne or massive carries like Henderson.

But Ryan runs our lineout, steals lots of opposition ball and gets through an absolute mountain of work. For example, against NZ, only Conan carried more ball, and only Doris made more tackles. He also stole 2 NZ lineouts. That stuff doesn't make highlight reels, but it adds up.

He carried 14 times for 21 metres, which is impressive considering the crowded channels he carries in. Henderson only carried 9 times for 6 metres.

People were delighted to see Ireland play at such a high tempo in November. But watch the NZ game and see how much of our fast ball was down to Ryan's clearouts.

Also, Henderson has been pretty injury prone of late which seems to go under the radar and hasn't exactly set the world alight when he's played.

Right now on form, it would have to be Beirne and Ryan.

I'm not saying he's a better rugby player than Hendy or Beirne, but when it comes to selection it's important to have a balance. The same way you wouldn't pick 3 massive ball carriers in the back row.

That’s one of the most cogent arguments I’ve seen on here in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wasn’t MOK’s point that he’d have Henderson as his number one lock at the moment as Ryan has been out with injury since he was taken off against Argentina? I like MOK but I’m not sure he did a huge amount of research for the chat.

Henderson hasn’t really featured since the AI either due to injury. Henderson was actually pulled out of the Argentina game at the last minute. He also came off injured against Northampton last month and hasn’t played since. Ryan was due to start in Montpellier but obviously didn’t have the opportunity to play. Lazy radio journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Henderson is a beast. A strong lump. He's just a massive lump of muscle. He carries and makes yards and he's got good pace.

Beirne is a turnover machine. Great athlete and probably our best forward, my opinion.

Ryan is the better tackler and better l/o player. Ryan's workmates is insane! Mix and match!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ryan doesn't run the lineout. Henderson calls it. (Although there is an emphasis on Ryan having free reign to disrupt at defensive lineouts.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Just went back and watched the start of the NZ game and it would appear you're right.

I guess I assumed Ryan calls it because he takes the vast majority, and usually the caller would call to himself a lot.

If Henderson is the best lineout caller I guess that's a pretty big reason to have him in the team. Factor in the fact that he's our biggest lock and scrummages on the TH side, and I guess it's pretty hard to leave him out.

But as things stand, it looks like he won't be playing before the Wales game so barring injury, it looks like it will be Beirne and Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

There's been a few articles in the likes of the 42 referencing the fact that Hendo's th primary lineout caller.

I might quibble with you about who's best, but there's three excellent second rows there. I might be disappointed about whether or not my favourite is starting, but I would certainly never be worried about the actual game as long as we've two of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭phog

Farrell has to try get Beirne onto the field, he's too good not to be included.

Who sits on the bench or drops off the match day squad I'm not sure but for me Beirne starts

Fair enough that's a decent argument. I think the stats on meters gained can be very misleading -but I could be misremembering. I remember him carrying a lot and not making any ground most times. Did he make the bulk of his 21m in one or 2 carries? It's good that he makes himself available to carry, but I don't see him as a good ball carrier. He made a few meters with each carry when he burst onto the scene, but now I think he seems to be hit on the gainline most of the time and falls on the gainline.

I'll pay closer attention to his ball carrying and the results of it tomorrow. I'll also look for the quick ruck clearouts. To be fair, those sre the things you miss if unsure looking at the shape the rest of the team is forming.

If its about balance, then why would you pick Henderson and Ryan? Aren't they both closer to 5s? If you want balance, wouldn't you go with the better of Ryan and Henderson alongside Beirne? But we never go for Beirne unless forced to do it. And I think he's been the best of the 3 for a while now, but he is the easiest to leave out of the team.

Carrying isn’t always about making metres. Kevin McLoughlin wasn’t known as a guy who made much metres but was highly rated because he was able to take on those carries in tight channels and turn what could have been crap ball into good ball through handling the collision well and providing clean, quick ball from it.

The other thing to consider about carrying is what that does to defences. If Ryan almost never carried, defences can drift off him. If he carries a good bit then they can’t. The more carrying options we have the more that stresses defences. Some of those carries will be in tighter channels, some in wider. One thing Ireland did really well this Autumn was ensure we had multiple carrying options up front, something we had been very poor at previously. We had 6 very genuine carrying options up front vs NZ (carry’s and/or metres in double figures). Ryan was joint 2nd in number of carries. That puts pressure on the NZ defence in terms of decision making etc. Covering Ryan in the right channels can help to open space in the wider channels for example.

Also worth noting that Taylor was the only NZ forward to put in better carrying stats and a lot of that came off the carry for his try.

And I think he's been the best of the 3 for a while now, but he is the easiest to leave out of the team.

I'm not sure I get this? If he's the best, wouldn't he be the hardest to leave out? Like, in what other position are we not picking the best guy?

Tbh what Beirne needs to do is decide if he's a second row or a blindside and stick with it. He's falling between two stools at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Ahh yes "**** you Andy I'm not playing 6 any more" how can versatility be viewed as a negative and how would you feel if he refused to play 6 any more

He's not in a position to say that to Farrell but he absolutely is in a position to tell Munster what his preference is.

Versatility is great unless it's holding you back from nailing down a jersey of your own. Beirne is first choice for Ireland in neither position so unless he's happy with the 20 jersey, he might want to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I don't think it would help him at all to be honest. His roll in either position is similar his issue is he has to beat out Henderson and Ryan. Having three fantastic options like that is great for Ireland and beirnes ability to slot into 6 is massively benificial

• Advertisement

It absolutely is great for Ireland, just maybe not for Beirne personally.

Advertisement