Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid thread moderation

Options
  • 15-01-2022 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭

I want to make a complaint about the moderation by Beasty in the Covid thread. He has accused me falsely of trolling with the below post:

<snip> - PM removed

When queried he then claimed I was "trolling about the murder in Tullamore" with this post:

"The perspex screens on the Late Late are a prime example of Covid theatre".

He claimed I was making fun of the murder in the context of the thread. I mean on what planet could you read that into that post? Nobody on the thread made fun of the murder. That perception was fabricated by this mod.

The standard of moderation from this mod is very poor and it's clear that many other users have had similar issues from the number of complaints on here.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You quote 1 PM without context. You also did not ask my permission to post my PM

You can start again, but if you do I only give you permission to quote the full PM exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is there anyone else in Boards who can look into this as this mod is completely biased? Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please post the full PM exchange

Can someone else look at this issue please?

As can be seen this is completely over the top and unwarranted by this mod. They have inserted their own bias and fabricated their own interpretation in order to give out a warning. I never mentioned a single word or even alluded to the murder in Tullamore, that was this mods own fabrication. Embarrassing standard of modding.

And on top of that my post remains infracted and it's probably the most benign post on the whole thread. I would love to hear the justification for this?

So did you read thus bit (my emphasis):

"Another poster introduced the whole Late Late angle not on anything to do with perspex screens, but only commenting on the murder. My reading of your post, in following up that post, was you were making fun out of the murder

I accept that was not your intent, but that was how I read it given the way the discussion flowed. Either way the impact of this is nothing more than your post been deleted (along with the ones leading up to it)"

So what is the complaint when I say that I accepted it was not your intent?

• Advertisement

Just to add that second example you quote was the one I said I had incorrectly clicked on

Nothing has been infracted. I have explained the process I adopt to advise you why your post was deleted

And if you are still wondering why I get to post here. I am allowed to make my case if anyone makes a complaint. I have told you repeatedly there was no sanction issued just PMs advising you why your post was deleted

There was an intent fabricated that did not exist at all. I shouldn't have to go through a complaints process as it should not have occurred in the first place. A mod should not be inserting their interpretation and creating an issue where none exists.

Also my comment remains flagged that I was warned and there has been precisely zero explanation as to why. I just took this screenshot again.

You say you should not have to go through the complaints process. Are you referring to the fact we discussed this via PM and I fully explained my actions and I accepted your representation?

Or are you talking about this thread, as TBH I am seeing absolutely no reason for it.

What exactly is your complaint? Is it that I deleted a post and gave you an explanation why?

You fabricated an intent (not the first time) to issue a warning and only that you got called out you had to retract it. How about you don't do that in future and don't delete posts on a made up whim?

Also I note there's still no explanation as to why I have a warning on this particular post.

So for the third time, why does this post have a warning?

• Advertisement

That PM exchange is utterly insane. He is basically saying that he made a mistake but, hey, so what, you are a troll.

This guy has become a law unto himself on this site. This is only one example and fair play to you for taking it further, most of us just take his bans and warnings in silence.

Something needs to be done about it.

I accept that was not your intent, but that was how I read it given the way the discussion flowed.

If you accept that it was not that poster’s intention to troll then that’s not how you can read it because trolling requires deliberate provocation. That’s how the word is defined. Perhaps this is where the mix up lies.

I was accepting that trolling was not the intent. If you read past that sentence you will see that trolling was my original interpretation because of the way the thread had evolved.

I was basically saying I had made an error. I was also pointing out that, other than the post itself being deleted, there was no consequence. All that happened was the poster received a PM advising the post had been deleted. Originally because I thought there was a trolling intent (because of the way posts discussing the Late late Show had started with a reference to the murder with no relevance to Covid. A number of follow-up posts were questioning the relevance or following up with further discussion of the Late Late Show. I deleted them all, in this case attaching the deleted post to my PM via a "Notice" or "Nil point warning")

Before I am forced to go to the dispute resolution forum I will ask for the fourth time now: why does this post below STILL have a warning on it?? I find it hard to accept anything you're saying as you still have this post flagged and have thus far refused to explain why.

OK. I've said a few times that's not a formal warning, simply a notice explaining why it was originally deleted. Only you and moderators could see that. However I've just removed it

Just to add, such notices/warnings cannot be appealed in the Dispute Resolution Forum. Only pointed sanctions or forum bans can

Advertisement