Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday 2022 - NFL Coaching Carousel

• 09-01-2022 3:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thread to discuss the coaches and GM's that are out, new hires, promotions etc.

Vacancies:

Jacksonville - Head Coach

Las Vegas - Head Coach (TBC)

Denver - Head Coach

Miami - Head Coach

Minnesota - Head Coach/GM

Chicago - Head Coach/GM

NY Giants - Head Coach/GM

Houston - Head Coach

NO Saints - Head Coach

Hot Seat:

Matt Rhule - Carolina

Pete Carroll - Seattle (?)

I think Zimmer and Fangio will both be back as DC's if fired, I'm not sure if Carroll and Rhule get fired, would seem strange but this is the NFL.

Post edited by adrian522 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

In Chicago, Matt Nagy is almost certainly gone.

I don't see Pace continuing as GM myself but it's still possible. He could also be "promoted" to a role like head of football ops/president. The McCaskeys really like him and he's had a big input in off the field stuff like the redevelopment of Halas Hall.

Dream pairing for me would be Harbaugh & Fangio. Both have history with Chicago and the Bears drafted Harbaugh in the 1st round back in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Zimmer and Spielman the first coach/GM duo to get the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

And Nagy is now officially gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

Brian Flores out in Miami as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Flores one is surprising to be honest. Thought he was a good coach hampered by poor QB play.

Interesting to see if Chicago look to replace Pace as GM and also if the Raiders stick or twist with their interim coach given they made the playoffs.

Pace has also been fired along with Nagy. There was a bad report from Schrager saying he was safe 2 minutes before the report he was fired from Schefter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah Flores was 10-6 and 9-7 in his last two seasons. Surprising one.

Dolphins owner is a Michigan alum/doner and has tried to land Harbaugh in the past. Perhaps there's something going to happen there.

edit: nevermind 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Flores will get another job quickly I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

flores would be a good fit at Jacksonville

The Dolphins also choked badly both seasons when they had a chance to reach the play-offs

Last season, they went into the last game of the season against a second string Bills team, needing a win to get into the Play-offs, and took a hiding

This season, lost 7 games in a row, including losses to Jacksonville and Atlanta. But still had a chance going into the game against the Titans, and then got demolished.

Flores definitely helped improve the Dolphins, but I think they've come as far as he could take them. They are now a bang average team.

If a better coach is available, then I think they've made the right decision to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd be alright with Flores in Chicago. Not sure how they'll go about hiring a coach, presume any good gm would want to be in the decision making process, so that could slow them down. Or they'll just hire a terrible GM following standard operating procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Like all of the BB clones - Flores is a control freak and his ego was too big for the Dolphins to put up with anymore.

The Broncos are casting a wide net - the one person I am surprised is not on their interview list so far is Dennis Allen (who was done over with the Raiders in his first stint as HC).

I expect that Dan Quinn is the favourite - he has history with Paton (they were poised to become a HC/GM combo with the Bears in 2015 but Paton chose to stay in Minnesota and Quinn went on to take the job in Atlanta).

If Quinn gets it - look for the Broncos to bring in an OC from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree - possibly Klint Kubiak now that Zimmer has been sacked by the Vikings - or Mike McDaniel who is OC in SF in name only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Had to be done really

He showed no progress this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Would be very surprised if McDaniel had any interest in joining the Broncos as an OC.

He is already getting offers for interviews for HC from being the OC of the 49ers and it would be a huge risk to go to Denver as just an OC when they do not have a viable QB or a clear path to get one and have a history of making OCs sacrificial, just ask McDaniel's friend Scangarello what happened when he made a similar move a few years 49ers to be the OC in Denver.

Lance will likely open up the 49ers run game even more next year which will make McDaniel even more attractive a candidate for teams as a HC. Not sure he is necessarily HC material but a risky lateral move doesn't make any sense.

If I am not mistaken he has one interview so far for a HC job - Miami - he may get another one or two but if he does it is likely to sound him out as an OC (technically as an Assistant HC).

The problem for McDaniel is that he is OC in SF in name only - Shanahan does the game planning and calls the plays. He is in a similar situation as Bieniemy in KC and Leftwich in TB - OC in name only and it is part of the reason that Bieniemy hasn't got a HC gig yet despite being touted as a potential HC for the past couple of years. It should also be remembered that McDaniel started his coaching career in Denver - then spent three years in Houston with Gary Kubiak before joining Mike Shanahan in Washington - and then spent time with Dan Quinn in Atlanta behind Kyle Shanahan. Now - McDaniel might decide to stay in SF with Shanahan - but he does have strong connections with Denver, has connections with the HC candidate who will likely get the job and would be the play-caller on offence in Denver if he was to take the job (with the prospect of having Wilson as his QB).

You are also inaccurate about Devner making OCs sacrificial - you mention Scangs who was sacked after one season - that was Fangio's decision because there was a clear personality clash (and the Scangs hiring was an after-thought - Kubiak was supposed to return as OC but he wanted Dennison as OL coach and Elway had already hired Munchak). The reality is that the opposite has been the case - Pat Shurmur should have been sacked a year ago - he wasn't. Before him Bill Musgrave was OC for 18 months (after McCoy got canned after a run of six defeats when the offence couldn't score) - before that was Rick Dennision with Kubiak as HC - before that was Adam Gase who went the the Bears with Fox - before that McCoy was OC for 4 years before he got the Chargers gig. Have a look and see how many other teams have changed OC less than the Broncos (they are few and far between - and the Broncos have been sh*te on offence for six years now).

Lance has the potential to be very good - but it is still only potential - and either way Shanahan will still be running the offence. In contrast - Denver will be major players if any of the franchose QBs move this off-season. The two top candidates are Quinn and Hackett - Quinn will probably get the job if the Broncos trade for Wilson (Quinn spent time as DC in Seattle) - Hackett will only get the job if Rodgers is coming to Denver. If Hackett is the pick then his OC will likely be Getsy (GB's QB coach) - if it is Quinn the OC will likely be McDaniel or Klint Kubiak. If the Broncos don't get either Wilson or Rodgers then I expect Quinn to get the HC job and Kubiak will come in as OC with the Broncos making a trade for Cousins.

Now - none of this might happen - a candidate might come out of left-field and the Broncos might end up rolling with Lock next season. But Paton's tenure in Denver will be determined by the decisions he makes over the next few weeks and I suspect that he is not going to go with the off the wall choice - but will pick someone who brings more than just his CV to the job - and that indicates that it is between Quinn and Hackett. The Broncos roster has a lot of good young talent - they have a stack of draft picks and they have a lot of cap room. Getting Wilson or Rodgers would make the team instant SB contenders - even Cousins would be a massive step up from anything the Broncos have had over the past six years. The right decisions in the next few weeks will determine the future of the team for the next 5/6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

The Texans have fired David Culley

Jerod Mayo has emerged as a leading contender for the job

The Patriot way again - the Texans have learned nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Him being a Patriot way doesn't mean it's going to be a success, nor does it mean he's going to be a failure. The reasons for either of those happening are many, but him being a former Patriot will have little to do with it.

A lot of fair points there but I disagree with a few key elements which leads me to the opposite opinion.

McDaniel has previously been interviewed by Browns and his reputation will only increase over time - his personality in interviews doesn't come across as someone that jumps out as HC candidate so even as a successful playcalling OC I don't see him being quickly in high demand as a HC.

Fully agree that he'd be in the shop window more as a true OC but you seem to be putting the cart before the horse regarding knowing what the QB situation will look like before the decision will be made on the HC and OC hire. The HC/OC who are hired may have their own preference of which QB they'd like to be brought in and their presence might facilitate a trade for certain QBs but when the HC and OC sign on they won't know who their QB will be when training camp begins. HC and coordinator hires generally occur well before any QB trades.

I wasn't saying Denver are the only team to make OCs sacrificial lambs, it happens with most defensive focused HCs when the team struggles and they are trying to save themselves by shifting blame. Fans similarly are much quicker to turn on OCs than HCs, I think your comments about Shurmur are a good example - it is hard to be an OC when you have a bottom tier QB. If McDaniel wants to be a playcalling OC elsewhere it makes much more sense to only jump when he knows he is going to a team that has a sure thing at QB rather than risking his future chances that he ends dealing being hamstrung by a poor QB, in Denver's case Lock.

This isn't a purely Denver thing, I'd say the same about him going to be an OC anywhere that didn't already have in place either a franchise QB or a young QB with high upside (being seen as a young QB 'whisperer' basically guarantees you a HC shot). I can see why'd you want McDaniel but similar to your previous claims that Kyle Shanahan would have definitely joined Denver as a HC I don't think you're looking at the cons of the opportunity at Denver.

If I was you I'd be keeping away from Quinn. His success with the Falcons was built on the back of Shanahan and with DC coaches becoming HCs even if he brings in a successful one they'll be out the door each next offseason and the bottom could fall out again. Add to that the Cowboys defense seems built somewhat on sand, reliant on things that aren't sticky and against a lot of poor teams, I'd be going other directions

At this point there is more than enough data out there of failures time and time again to be skeptical of how Patriot coaches transition into being HCs. Even in the regular world, if you kept hiring candidates from the same competitor and they kept failing once they left their old company then people would learn from their mistakes eventually and be more cautious in repeating the mistake.

Even ignoring the Watson situation, the racist owner, Easterby being a nut job, and how they treated Culley, I simply do not know how a decent HC would want to work for a GM like Caserio, who wants to continue to be on the headset giving his input to the coach during each game. Seems like Belichick is the only one that can keep these lunatics in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If they hire him because he's a Patriot that's idiotic. But if they hire him because they think he's a potentially competent HC well then that's another thing entirely. I'm sure they have taken into account all the previous failures and I'd be fairly confident there would be some people in that organisation absolutely opposed to any more Patriot coaching signings. If they have taken that all into account, and they still believe he is the best man for the job, then they should hire him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

not really a coaching change but been reported by the usual people that Mike Mayock is out as raiders GM which may or may not be good news for the interim coach. You’d assume not good because a new GM would want their own HC zone there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They need a new GM/coach combo, and should ire both together, Mayock didn't seem to have a whole lot of power there, it was all Gruden so not surprising to see him gone.

• Advertisement

Rumour mill has Sean Payton stepping away for a year. Possibly another vacancy opening up

Advertisement