Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the sceptic in me thinks arsenal did this to be fresh for thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Stop talking sense, they don't like that. Unsurprisingly your perfectly reasonable question went unanswered as this question always does by those with no grasp of reality.

We spend what we earn. If you think we should spend more than we do where is it coming from. We all want to spend and compete, some clubs just can't spend spend spend with no worries about where its coming from.

You single character posters are just going to have to accept that fans affection for their football team is not always grounded in reality, and that it is ok to post about players we would like to see play in team colors.

Perhaps you guys should start a thread on Liverpool finances, serious posts only. No imagination required. It’ll be fun for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Some clubs who are not owned by oil countries can spend enough to freshen up their squad during their pandemic. Why is that? Are they not affected by Covid as much as Liverpool or is it just Liverpool who have been affected?

You have no idea how much money the club has and neither do I. On the presumption that we didn't have money, we could have recouped some from player sales. There are a number of players in the squad who are no more than fringe players not threatening to be starters, why has our much vaunted transfer team been unable to move them on? It is also possible to generate transfer funds by the owners loaning the club money. It is also possible to bring in players in loan. Why do you think all of a sudden we will have money to spend this summer if you are a firm believer there is currently no money to spend?

It's incredible that basic finance cannot be understood.

The clubs finances are available publicly every year. Pretty surely one third went up in smoke last season, 100m or so, due to no crowds.

I'd love nothing more than a heap of signings from this magic pot of money people think we have.

• Advertisement

What fan wants to do a deep dive into the finances of a billion pound/dollar company? We want to win, we want signings which excite, we don’t want some boring accountant type telling us we are stupid. People get enough of that in their real lives.

6 and G, have you guys ever been told how much you look like each other, are you related or just part of the same set?

Deep dive? It's basic stuff.

Your last paragraph is petty as you seem to be getting defensive as you are not able to debate or answer the simple questions posed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd accept that if not for the fact they just purchased another franchise. There should be money there from what the club has become commercially alone.

I can accept the no money argument as long as fans accept we're not going to compete, with CL qualification being the minimum requirement. That we've essentially become Arsenal now with an aging team and focus on youth development. If you're fine with that then cool, there's no debate to be had.

Exactly. Like toddlers throwing the toys out the pram. I want want want but I've no idea nor do I care about where the money comes from for the stuff I want.

Our club can compete with City only when they get themselves on the level of earnings United make every season. They're the only non oil club that can compete with this model and thankfully they are run like a clown show. City have business smarts, a top class manager and endless cash. It's virtually impossible to compete with but we still did it for a couple of seasons.

City and Liverpool are the two best run clubs in the league, only one of them has limitless cash, this is the reality however difficult it may be to accept. We'll eventually get onto Uniteds earning capacity but its going to take time.

The ownership group bought another franchise with their own money. Not with Liverpools money. Liverpool spend what they earn and the owners lend them money for capital projects on top. Exactly how a well run club should be.

It's not their fault nation state clubs have changed the game to one nobody other than nation state clubs can compete in except when you've studiously built your revenues over very long period of time which is exactly the path LFC is on.

I take any silverware as a miracle if I'm honest due to what we're up against and I do wonder how long it'll take before the established clubs get sick of the odds being stacked against them and break out to do their own thing without the oil clubs.

• Advertisement

So according to you two single characters, there should be no talking of signings until either players are sold or money is earned? How dull. This is a discussion forum, you don’t have to agree.

They already did try and break out in unison with the oil clubs, so they can't be all that bothered with the odds being stacked against them.

Talk signings all you like Dav. Knock yourself out moaning if the ones you want don't happen too. The reality is there for you to see if you're arsed looking. We aren't signing Haaland but we will sign some players.

I myself am expecting at least two or three quality additions this summer, we definitely need them. And even if we get them i still wouldn't be confident it'll be enough to beat City beacuse the odds are unfairly and massively against us but the club and I can't change that. I'll hope for best but won't dispair of it doesn't work out cos I'm a realist. I support the club to do what they can and if it's not enough such is sporting life with well run oil clubs in the mix

3 quality signings in one window...not sure if we've been following the same club.

The Arsenal comparison is old and lazy tbh. Arsenal haven't qualified for the champions league in five years.

I’m not arsed looking. I’m a fan, I’ll express my wish on who I’d like to see signed and moan when they don’t.

No problem bud. You keep shouting into the ether hoping it changes something.

What? Who is trying to “change something”? Fans of all teams talk about signings they would like and complaining when they don’t get them. Hell even managers of premiership teams do that and they know more than you about the club.

Why do you have such an issue with posters discussing signings?

I don't. I literally told you to crack on. I know what's possible from any rudimentary viewing of the clubs accounts but you refuse to acquaint yourself with these facts. That's fine. You be you.

G, I’m going to level with you. I would find viewing the clubs accounts boring, discussing it is boring, discussing people who view the accounts is boring. I’m really not interested in discussing Liverpool FC at any level beyond the team, winning, losing, signings I’d like to see etc. Like most fans, I want the team to compete for the league, champions league, cups etc, Liverpool employ far cleverer people than you and I to advise them on finances, don’t think for a second that your rudimentary viewing tells the whole story of their financial position. So please, spare us the condescension, we just want to talk about the team we support without posters telling us we don’t know what we are talking about. Maybe there is a thread for people who only want serious discussion on financial prudence, it doesn’t sound fun to me, but everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Mo has put Egypt 1 up on 69 mins.

We both want the same things Dav. Some of us accept what is possible within the constraints of the club finances and others just want players players players, trophies no matter the cost. Maybe you've forgot we nearly went out of existence in the early 2010.

I haven't quoted you at all in this latest exchange because you are in fantasy land so I'd rather not bother, yet you and others seem to take issue with those of us who express the reality of the situation. If you don't want to arm yourselves with the facts that's fine. I can't help you nor am I trying to. I am, like you, simply expressing my opinion on this thread. My opinion, unfortunately is the reality. We can't do what you and others what us to do however much you might want us to. I won't lose sleep over that. You lads on the other hand......

G, most fans fantasise about the players they want their club to sign, I suspect most premiership managers and even players do as well. Do you think Mo Salah isn’t saying to FSG that he wants signings? Give me a break.

Hey, some fans thrive on the excitement of what could be, others are happy with serious conversations about balancing the books, income and debt etc, whatever floats your boat. I’d much rather have a conversation with fans about what they like than some guy who thinks he knows the accounting intricacies of a billions dollar company, yawn.

Hahaha. You seriously think Jurgen is w@nking himself over over players he knows he can't sign. He's an integral part of the decision making process. He knows what's possible and what isn't. He's realistic. Like a lot of us. If he didn't like it he'd be gone but instead he saying things like he wishes he'd joined us much earlier.

By the way, fantisise is the most relevant thing you've said. We all do that. But alot of us also know most of it is impossible

I'm posting in here for over a decade and finances are always discussed by Liverpool fans. It goes hand in hand with transfer talk. That's the way it will always be too I'd imagine.

It's hardly reinventing the wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

You are wasting your time trying to talk sense to the twins. It is pretty clear they have no interest in debating or expressing an opinion like adults and for some bizarre reason will persist in taking issue with anyone discussing anything in the thread they don't agree with, while attributing all sorts of incorrect labels to posters they seem to have issue with in the same smug and condescending tone. It is the same two posters every time. I would use the ignore function only reading their posts and the lack of self awareness on display I am finding very amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Good man coutinho!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sometimes ...... reading this thread...... how I wish there was a match coming up to chat about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

OK I will get the ball rolling!!! Would like to see Tsimikas start tomorrow. Who will join Jota and Firminio up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd love a different formation. Anything. Don't care what.

Control yourself, no need for profanities.

Do I think Jurgen fantasises about the players he would like to sign, like we do? You bet your bile duct I do, what manager doesn’t?

Like a lot of us he’d be gone? You must think everyone who is unhappy in their jobs and disappointed with their employers always leave their jobs. What rubbish. What people say in public is not always what they think in private.

Would like to see Tsimikas start also. Jones in midfield for Milner. I would give Ox another shot in one of the attacking positions, possibly on the right with Jota on left. We are going to have an issue in that none of them are known for pace and making runs in behind. Hopefully whichever fullbacks start they stay wide and try making the runs in behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jones starting is a must, he is far livelier than Milner and started to make things happen when he came on. Give him an hour and hopefully be in a good position to bring subs on to combat the Extended break Arsenal got.

Considering how poor Both Robbo and Trent were, Williams and Tsikimas could start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What about Tsimikas up front as a left winger? I'd like to see him try at least once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

From the point of view of legs for at least 70mins in a game, i think Milner has had his time in the sun and it’s time to say thanks and goodbye. He is really starting to play his age. Jones would be a good start. I do reckon it’s Milner’s last season anyway.

Brentford can play decent football. Maybe not play such a high line when so many players look wreaked for pace including VVD. A bit more control would be nice.

Jones has to start. He has looked lively when involved recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd go with

__________Alisson___

Trent___Konate___VVD___Robertson

____Fabinho_Henderson__

Ox_______Firmino____Minamino

_________Jota______________

Kill em that way .

• Advertisement

Yes Jones needs to start and to be honest I want to see much more of Gordon too. That kid has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gordon didn't play today so will at least be in the squad

Yeah a few of the younger lads didn't play with their own squads today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d drop Trent for Williams!!

Trent’s been mediocre at best, has developed a tendency to play very centrally which allows big gaps on his side when the opponents attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He's been told to play centrally in certain scenarios. And it is working at times too.

The space behind him will always be targetted, no matter where he plays, high and wide right, or tucking in centrally. It's the opposite side of the pitch to VVD too. It's natural for oppositions to target that space when he is so involved in Liverpool's build up.

Would you rather take away the best part of Trent's game just to cover up something that may happen? Lose a lot but gain very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

My preference would be a 442 diamond until the Afcon guys are back

fabinho

hendo ox

jones

bobby jota

keeps bobby and jota in the middle, gets jones in the team and keeps the others in more or less their normal positions.

I’d rather have jones in the side than shunt jota out wide to accommodate Taki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

We really need a clear out in the summer and some proper investment in the team. Otherwise we're destined to be the post invincible arsenal. Seemingly happy to get top 4 and chase the FA cup every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd rather never see Taki again. The other night cemented my view of him. Wasteful and hapless. All of the kids had better games and some of them might actually have a future with us.

There are other examples of ageing teams falling off a cliff, post 2013 MU, post 1990 Liverpool. They didn’t continue to build when in a position of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it pains me greatly, but we cannot compete with the finances city,chelsea,utd have, we are competing because of klopp and the changes he and fsg have brought into lfc. we cant leave 100 mill players on the bench,or simply ignore others costing 50/60 mill and not play them, we have to be very careful. in another world we winn everything for 5 years under klopp,unfortunately city can simply buy big for any position at any time without watching the books. this is what frustrates me, a nothing club with nothing to worry about is easy to dislike,but it also takes a good manager,and pep is good.

id love endless pots of cash too but unfortunately i gotta live within my means or ill sink sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement