Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Since me too I’ve been crossing the road if I see a woman at night but a couple of times they have crossed or then I’ve had to cross back ! Cringe! but I still think it’s a nice thing to do if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

First and foremost thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends at this absolutely devastating time

Iv seen a lot of talk about how the "Males" of this country need to be educated about violence against women, but would any amount of education stop something like this? Education can certainly help people joining gnags and having to resort to petty crime or drug dealing but would it stop a random Murder?

Surely these people have mental issues and not educational one?

I do agree that it can only help to speak against Violence to women so i am not against it, I just wonder in these type of case has it more to do with just a deeply sick individual,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think some of the comments in this thread unfortunately only help highlight the attitude of some towards women. Yes we are all equal as human beings, but women have a natural disadvantage. Yes women can be violent towards men. However men are part of a culture that fails to fully respect women. I am shocked that anyone tries to defend wolf-whistling in a thread like this. That sort of behaviour is exactly the sort of thing that can intimidate women. Yes not all women, but whoever does it has no idea how the person they are targeting feels about it. They may try and brush it off with a laugh when deep down they may feel degraded. These are the sort of things that really have to be driven out of society.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

100%

That this obvious fact needs to be explained to people... we are nowhere even near addressing the problem of misogyny.

What has any of that got to do with this murder?

Has anyone considered that the person who took Ashling's life could have taken a man's?

• Advertisement

I don't like the men v women debate that seems to have come out of this terrible murder. I'm not sure what 'men need to step up' even means in this case? There were not lots of witnesses hanging around watching this happen and doing nothing. So I don't agree with the people pushing their agenda on this crime.

At the same time, I do believe that everybody in society needs to step up. Once upon a time, offenders were afraid of being caught, of being seen doing wrong by their neighbours or family. They knew if someone caught them doing something, they would be called out. No one wants to be involved anymore. In anything not involving them directly, heads down, eyes averted.

If I was ever the victim of a random assault on the street, I wouldn't expect any help from passers by, which is a very sad reflection on our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

But the problem is, ever since it’s happened the media and the women who have been on the media, and even the Taoiseach have made it about men vs women, quite literally men against women! In a mass generalisation that all men should cop on and be more respectful of women. If I was any more respectful to the women in my life they’d start thinking I was part of some weird cult that idolises women as Gods!

But according to what’s being said; I need to cop myself on and do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nobody is defending wolf whistling. I’ve never done it, but it’s getting ridiculously over-played here in an attempt to demonise men.

Vast majority men who have wolf whistled are likely decent and ordinary men. It’s male banter. Women have their own female banter. How do people propose we drive this banter out of society?

we’re getting far too caught up in the small stuff here that males do from time to time.

a woman was brutally murdered out jogging in daylight…these are the men that need targeting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm not sure what it is about the social media activism irks me so much. I think it's confirmation bias, these campaigns tend to just act as feedback loops for our own preconceived ideas of the world. There's always an element of truth to these claims but they are distorted beyond belief and the discourse surrounding it lacks any true rigour.

You can't argue with some of the tweets or posts, there is an element in Ireland who just view women as primarily sexual/romantic interests. But I don't know how bad this is. We have a school system that divides boys and girls at 12 years old so it stands to reason that some guys would see girls as purely as objects of affection/lust. Many guys go through their teens and 20s in the dark about the opposite sex and at best, would only friends with them in the scenario of night outs.

Ireland is very segregated in terms of gender really. I don't think there's a great issue or anything but that lad culture which is under scrutiny following the death of Ashling(completely unrelated I might add) could definitely do with a shakeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Whoooosh .

what i said was if a woman tells you she doesn’t like to be whistled at then dont . Its that simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think your going down a rabbit hole beasty.

Yes the kind of behaviour and culture you refer to shouldnt be happening but it isnt related to scumbags and psychos who murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

I haven't see many, if any, condone these things.

What I see is people saying that a women being strangled in broad daylight is not on the same tram lines as a lad whistling at a girl in yoga pants running down the road. Social media has used this event as an anti male punch bag.

It's as if intercepting said "wolf whistler" early on in his life will prevent him becoming the murderer he is destined to be down the line.

One is uncouth, boorish disrespectful behaviour.

The other is psychopathy.

IF the argument was " what do we need to do to protect our women from muslims" it would be rightfully shut down.

How is labelling an entire gender any less egregious.

Don’t what? Why would I wolf whistle a woman?

you’ve lost me.

I am well aware that there are women who would take offence at being wolf whistled, or be intimidated.

but I am also aware that there are women who would not take offence or be intimidated, and who would think that it is harmless male banter.

me personally: never done it. But would not at all label any man a creep or a nasty person for doing it. To me that’s OTT. Maybe childish or immature.

and would never use it to demonise males.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just on you last line you maybe chuffed and people maybe chuffed it does not a random person you do it are chuffed. Banter (within reason) within your circle is fine as you know how you and them will react but you do not how someone else will react and no they should not chill they do not know what you mean by it.

Generalisation happens all the time I am sure many here use generalised when talking about something all the time be it people from another country, race, religious ethos etc. I am certainly guilty of it.

Now yes it is over the top at the moment but this happens all the time a awful crime happens.

RIP to Ashling hope her family find some peace and the person who did this is found quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭sekiro

Given the modern conversations around gender I find it surprising that people were/are so quick to assume that they know the gender of whoever did this.

That's before even getting to their motivations.

Yes, statistically it's more likely to be a man but we don't know anything yet so maybe a lot of the commentary is being put out there prematurely.

Discussion of wolf whistles and inappropriate comments etc in relation to this also assume the sexuality of the perpetrator (again statistically likely to be heterosexual) so I'm not sure that this incident should be associated with those kind of conversations just yet.

Its understandable that people are angry. Of course. We should all be angry that something like this could happen.

The speed with which this was turned into a "war on women" conversation doesn't really sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The #shewasgoingforarun is so offensive to me I can’t understand why no one else is complaining about it. It doesn’t matter what she was doing it doesn’t matter what time it was. It doesn’t matter what she did for a living or how “well got” her family is. It certainly doesn’t matter how physically attractive she is or how talented a musician she is.

Nobody man or woman should have to die like that. The response has revolted me with various factions highjacking a tragedy for no other reason then to further their own agenda be it womens rights or xenophobic nationalists.

The only concern should be that anyone who would take another persons life in this manner needs to be too afraid to attempt it for fear of the recriminations and/or removed from society if they go ahead anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

People should not make judgements until the facts of the case are known.

Currently only one fact is known. A young girl with her life ahead of her has been brutally murdered. RIP.

Im ill at ease with this being a gender issue, I don't doubt that gender issues exist but i have not seen the proof that this is a gender issue primarily and the quick attachment of gender violence to this has only served to indirectly pass judgement on somebody who was arrested incorrectly for this crime.

I was only thinking the other day the madness of the whole male on female issues…what fooking hope have we when you think that up until recently the most powerful man on earth was boasting about grabbing women by the…. This chap made U.S. President…

we have a long road ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agreed. The OP exposed their own understandable subjectivity in their previous post.

The discussion should be about how we go about making everyone feel safer in society, rather than focusing on one gender. Sure the majority of murders are committed by men, but given men are victims twice as much as women, it's clear that they don't sexually discriminate, so why should we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well, women I know, some of them, yes! They view a wolf whistle as harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If i was to speculate on this crime (and i am speculating) I would say that the perpetrator knew the victim, if not personally then to see, that there was some level of fixation and the person responsible has a history of crime, violent and otherwise.

In time i think we could be viewing this as failure of the justice system, the courts or the mental health services in this country who should have done more because the warning signs are always aplenty.

We see it regularly that people are before the courts for assaults and other violent crimes but they get suspended sentence's, or lenient scentences and have 20/30/50 previous convictions.

The point im making is that if this is the case and the people of the country don't mobilise to insist on stricter sentence's and accountability then this crime will join a long list of other preventable crimes that fell through the fingers of the courts and health services while its turned wrongly into a man vs woman problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Similar to yourself Beasty I am learning a new appreciation of risk.

I'm younger than you, at 42 and the appreciation of that kind of risk is new to me.

As younger man I worked doors in Limerick, ran with rough crowds played a lot of rugby and so on. At 6'5" and "burly" it never dawned on me just how much I intruded on others.

My size and my cocky probably, arrogant confidence, even without meaning to intimidate or even be aggressive often planted a seed of at least apprehension in others.

I'd love to say it has been learning from my wife or my sister's just how differently women view space and the risks perceived.

It wasn't that, it was middle age, the culmination of health issues and moving from being the "big guy" to being wary of the big guy.

Not that I worry about violence or hang out in arenas where it's likely anymore 😉 but that weird ongoing assessment of who could be a risk to me if something kicked off.

It's really strange, it's not a voice I've had in my head for long and it's new. I find it a little disconcerting. I cannot imagine having grown up with it, it having been a part and parcel of every decision.

I have intervened with friends who cross the line with women. I have been stuck in violent confrontation between people of all genders and I've stepped into place myself between women and men.

The issue of violence, yes women are very much victims of violence perpetrators. Most often that violence is from someone known to the victim. A husband, partner, ex and every other of relationship and so on. Regardless of gender equality, a woman will very often be the loser of any physical assault from a male.

Being the "weaker" sex means that when violence is visited upon a woman? The outcome is far greater and, often far more egregious for the victim.

Gendering the issue of violence, of random attacks and overall assaults does the issue of violence as a whole in society a disservice. Every Civilization has had the issue.

The violence of males and in particular young males has been written about and pondered over since Rome. From the Gracchi and the mob onto the collapse, the violence visited upon Europe and the Middle East by Christian 2nd sons, the violence of Elizabethan, Regency and Georgian England.

The issue isn't solely violence against women or Gender. It is the tendency of violence to be an outlet of those who are unfulfilled, the issue is part of the human condition.

How do we as humanity, not as western/eastern/Whatever! But, as humanity. How can we address and arrest the drive that some feel to visit violence upon others?

How can we interdict the thinking that leads one to believe that violence is a means of either exerting control or, of actualising their worth?

We need to challenge the motivations and the presentations of violence wherever we can.

Be it incels, wifebeaters, bullies or the yobs pushing and throwing digs after closing time. All need to be addressed and at least corrected. The problem is? That all too often the correction is for want of a better description?

A bigger fish, a beat down of the bully or aggressor by a bigger bully.

How do we address and more importantly, inderdict the drive towards violence?

Without perpetuating more violence?

Wolf whistling is harmless, its jarring and lacks class but absolutely harmless.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There were two witnesses. The guards said they were looking for a male

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Condolences to her Friends and Family. She seemed like a thoroughly good person and did not deserve this.

I think the media need to stop using this tragedy for a anti-male crusade though. We do not even know the gender of the attacker yet. This was a very unusual occurrence for our country. There are many things wrong with this country but homocide because of gender is not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah facts and statistics are the enemy for these sort of witch hunts.

Women who say that men need to change think they are helping but are really just alienating your average Irish male who would never think in a million years of harming an innocent woman. We need more mental health supports in the country not pointless gender division. I am sure Ashling had a loving father, grandfather, male relatives and friends and this narrative disrespects them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement