Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

If it's back on Achill again with his parents I would be thrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

I only started listening to FW last year and think its a great companion piece to SC. I've always wondered what was the deal with Lars' accent. He sounds VERY Irish...now we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Caitlin won't be happy with these recent developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I'd prefer if they just covered weekend sport (apart from latest English soccer pantomime) before Tuesday myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really enjoyed the Roberto Lopes interview, hopefully he'll be on again if they get to the knock outs.

Isolation podcast was enjoyable too. Was getting a bit bored of the Premier league football talk so good to have a bit of variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What was the point of the lengthy segment on John Terry's twitter? Felt like it lasted half an hour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought it was funny. Basically, JT is still a knobend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Is the Isolating pod on a different feed now? No sign of Tuesdays edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

3 days a week for now.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

This is the exact type of stuff I love the pod for. No idea what he's gonna come up with on a consistent basis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Outstanding interview about the Ahmaud Arbery murder.

The second captains guys really are incredible at their craft. A side splitting funny depiction of John Terry's twitter activity yesterday and hard hitting social commentary today. €5 well spent every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was just about to post this. Brilliant interview, need to read his article too.

Murph's summary of Djokovic was very well done too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Yeah, it was a great interview. Very upsetting listening to his mam speak.

Just listening to yesterday's pod now and the news from Tullamore is ringing true here too. Coincidence of timing I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Don't agree with the lads take today about the tragic killing of Aisling Murphy...

I think too many people are rushing to create a Sarah Everhard style "men are bad" narrative.

I think media attention would be best diverted towards our light touch judicial system and poor mental health services.

People like this man should not be on the loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

agree. The main problem is how flimsy the justice system is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Is it The justice system or The prison system?

its hard for judges to sentence people to harsh sentences or remand people on bail If the prisons are overstretched.

Oh justice for sure. There are laughable sentences doled out all year round.

if harsher sentences were issues would that just mean people get released earlier because a finite level of prison space exists?

• Advertisement

I don't know chief. It's not really my concern. If they need to build more prisons then build more prisons.

the judges dont have power over that…so you may be apportioning blame to The wrong cohort of The system. Or maybe you are dead right. But its possible its more complex issue.

but worth remembering irish governments dont like spending money on stuff that raise zero income….like prisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a horrible case, but the media overload on it has been OTT.

They dedicated 2/3rds of the News to it this evening, with people reporting live from the scene, followed by more coverage afterwards and wall to wall coverage elsewhere.

A truly horrible, tragic case, but I thought the level of coverage given to it was verging on the ridiculous.

The original suspect seems to be innocent going by The latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Unsurprising really given the obsession with true crime podcasts/documentaries etc that has developed over recent times. Media are well aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Harry 1234

how many times have we heard of incidents where the attacker had 15/20/50/100 previous convictions. The state is must liable if one of these individuals commits a murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Not sure i got the same vibe as you from it. Less men are bad more lots of women have been affected by these behaviours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Strongly disagree. Ireland is generally a safe country and a good place to live. Stuff like this is big news.

I do think the fact that some media were delighted to get exclusives with the family is horrible. We should be able to have coverage without being so intrusive.

I think the lads covered it well the other day.

On The second captains weekly summary pod for non subbers the vibe/words from Ciaran was men have to wrestle with this and men have to be aware of what they put out in The world. The inference around all men sharing responsibility being fairly clear there no?

not sure If that differs from The comtent on The sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

We need to convert ghost estates into prisons immediately. It would solve a lot of problems.

I havent heard the summary but have listened back to the subscription episode and cant find where Murph says what you're saying.

He says he read the Malachy Clerkin article a couple of years ago and then discussed it with his female family members. Asked them if the feel the same way and the said of course. They are all often afraid in variety of situations.

Eoghan follows up with reference to the rachel Hewitt thread and the runners world survey stats that give detail of women all over the world suffering a variety of abuses while running.

the Summary is new content mixed with old so i guess you can listen to The very end of that and what murph said If that helps better understand my point of view.

i have an understanding that women are a target for sicko men that my gender never will experience. But i dont buy The this is a product of what normal men put out to The world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I haven't listened to this summary either and I agree with you if you are talking about the murder. However, if you are talking about women not running (or feeling safe doing other normal things), then every man (even good ones) have a duty to be more aware of how they portray themselves when out in the world, because of murders like this one.

One scenario, for example, you are jogging away minding your own business, but unbeknownst to you, you have been keeping pace with the woman in front of you. She, however, is hyper aware of you and has become uncomfortable with your presence.

One reason for why this murder has got such media attention is that a very large percentage of the population fear that this might happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The murder is a low instance thing perpetrated by a 'sicko', but instances of women being harassed or made to feel unsafe are significantly more common, and have been done by people we all know, and perhaps in our company, or someone else's company. Men have to hold men responsible on what sort of view of women and behaviour toward women is acceptable.

Was surprised to see comments here that what they said was overblown - 5 minutes to a runner being killed for who/what they are, a day after a full story on a runner being killer for who/what they were. They also didn't say anything that wasn't entirely true.

It's one of those things where men should really ask the women in their lives about the **** they've had to deal with... it's a subject i've worked in a bit, and the fact that basically every single woman has a story to tell (often more than a few), is insane, and something that men are a bit oblivious to for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It doesn't shock me that it's big news, it is a shocking event, but that the level of coverage and the type of it is a bit prolonged and gratuitous and is more to do with the human interest aspects of the story.

For instance, there was a supposedly innocent man shot dead earlier this week in Dublin. It too was on the news and covered elsewhere in the media and rightly so - but how much coverage did that equally tragic case receive, relative to this one?

Both cases involve innocent people being killed - one is a news story, which will probably be shrugged and largely forgotten about, whereas one dominates the media for a number of days.

Some of the coverage and particularly the "think piece" opinions in the immediate aftermath of this have been, in my view, a bit clumsy and blunt, even if they mean well and aren't wholly wrong.

The framing of all discussion about this as being tied into violence against women is a bit of a flattening of a complex wider issue to do with violence in society in general.

• Advertisement

I don't remember Eoin or Murph mouthing off when that woman murdered her 3 children in Dublin in 2020.

In fact her husband wasn't even allowed to go on the late late show recently. By contrast the late late tonight had a couple of mentions for Aisling.

Not to derail the thread but its the selective displays of grief that grinds my gears. The Mongolian cleaner in the IFSC didn't get half the outpouring.

But this one ticks all the boxes. Young beautiful girl out running, murdered by bad man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

It's not just grief. It's proof that the feelings of fear that so many people feel is legitimate. They are not crazy to have that fear. This is proof.

wtf does that have to do with anything? There was a very very clear crossover between a tragedy that occurred, and a big piece they had literally only just done. Like, the two stories go completely hand in hand - it would have been really weird for them NOT to draw the comparison.

It was entirely in keeping that they would cover that story - for 5 fcking minutes - under the circumstances.

• Advertisement

One incident is not proof. If he murdered her coming home from Tesco would it be proof women can't go shopping safely?

Ok... would you care to maybe explain why?

They do a big story on a black man who was killed while out running purely, it would seem, because he was black. it was a story based around the differences in freedom and safety that people have in society. Then, literally hours later, a woman was killed while out running purely, it would seem, because she was a woman. It's clearly a story that highlights the differences in freedom and safety that people have in society.

Why exactly do you disagree that it was natural for them to draw a comparison in the two cases, given the incredibly, ridiculously close proximity of the first story's coverage, and the second story's occurrence? I mean, even if you think she was murdered for nothing to do with her gender and that a man running would have been killed by the same person if they'd happened by at the same time (statistically unlikely), it would still be an extremely obvious story to cover in light of what they had just dove into the previous day.

I think you're maybe coming at this a bit backwards - the point is not that women specifically out running are not safe, it's that women even doing something as innocuous as going for a run in broad daylight are seemingly not entirely safe. Like, it's a set of circumstances no-one should have to think twice about, and yet even that is beyond the realms of confident safety. (The point would be the same if the same thing happened while walking home from shopping in daylight).

well the photos have gone viral this morning on WhatsApp of the perpetrator on his bike.

and if his "status" is true it will be interesting to see how the media report it. They will be squirming.

lets just say we welcomed him into the country and this is how he re-paid us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I would love if they got Nigel Farage on to talk about it

Jesus Christ. Why would they have him on? Can ye keep your rubbish to AH or CA/IMHO please with the other members of the "not all men" brigage, the other members of the "I'm not racists, but" brigage and general asshattery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Harry 1234

We have allowed the Catholic Church to target, enslave, torture and abuse our women in this country for years!!

Yes- this crime is probably societal, and that’s exactly where it is comes from.

The Church has subjected our women to mere vessels for reproduction and denied them rights to their own bodies. Women in this country have been “at man’s disposal” thanks to the Catholic Church.

We allow this same institution to influence the young impressionable minds of our children by allowing them to remain in control what what we teach in school. Young boys and girls are taught that “Mary said YES”. What message does that send to our children.

Some people still very proud to be Catholic- but disgusted by a crime of which their church has been fuelling for years!!

END CATHOLIC INFLUENCE IN OUR SCHOOLS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eoin quietly saying to Ken that the don't talk about gambling was cool. Probably something that would be cut out normally, but good to see they avoid talking about it.

If anyone got a message like that and believed it then they've some serious questions to ask themselves. It's the actual proof that racism is based on stupidity. Someone put that together to prey on people's ignorance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement