Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I thank you for taking such delicate care in not misgendering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's just been our luck that they so far have trended towards the Covid mutations being less harmful

Viruses mutate and overall trend in the one direction. It's why people referenced multiple waves of Spanish Flu in 1918 and how we weren't out of the woods when we went down to 20 cases in one day in summer 2020. Viruses have always ended up mutating into a less harmful disease.

And with Omicron, the whole "Vaccination is to protect others from getting ill, not just yourself" has been debunked considering its vaccinated people that are spreading the virus now with record numbers.

Usernames with the word pussy in them is a part of the problem of rape and murder.....ok

Please explain what **** I went on with last night? Links to posts would be great! Let everyone judge for themselves.

Don't come in here spewing rubbish about other threads. Attack the post, not the poster.

Haha

Gotta love how it's "trust the experts" when it suits ye. Just the other week the whole country was blasting said experts when those experts said schools were safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Linked to posts he says, knowing the posts were deleted and the thread closed....

Medical people disagree with everything you are saying. I'm not going to waste time trying to debate you about it. People get educated and experienced in things for a reason.

No idea what posts you're on about. The only things I posted in that thread is that the suspects facebook profile was already around the whatsapps.

Experts get things wrong all the time. HSE paid out hundreds of millions in compensation because they get things horribly wrong.

Is that the suspect that has been released and eliminated from Garda investigations? Sure he'd like to have a chat with you.

I'm not discussing that thread any further on here.

Next time you've a loved one who is unwell, bring them to a mechanic or hairdresser so.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the lad alright. Why would he like to have a chat with me exactly? All I said was that the suspects facebook profile was being shared on whatsapps groups. Seems strange he'd want to speak with me when I wasn't revealing anything about him or sharing anything about him. I would have thought the hundreds of people liking posts threatening violence would be further up the list in people he'd like to see, than me.

I had the NCT last year and the expert mechanic gave me an advisory to change a tyre as the tread depth was low. I check it myself often and there was quite a bit before to go before I reached the legal minimum. Only had to change the tyre a couple of months ago. I didn't listen to the expert mechanic and I'm still alive.

It's a sad world we live in when someone on national radio can laugh about dismembering a player because he is pro choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

John Duggan on now engaging in self flagellation for being a man…..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Chucky Q

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Even when they stick to sport the same people here have a bitch about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But it’s not poor output. You just don’t like it.

Why do you think it is some people go to such efforts to speak negatively about what is clearly a successful and competent show? And seem incapable of figuring out how to not listen to it given they hate it so much?

OTB can improve in various ways but to read this thread, you'd swear it was little more than the quality of a transition year school radio project.

The Late Late Show is consistently one of the most watched shows on tv in Ireland yet majority of people would say it's poor.

• Advertisement

Majority of people on here maybe. but the seem to fall in to the same fetishisation of bitterness.

If this place was an accurate reflection of the real world, Peter Casey would be President.

So no one should be allowed criticise or dislike something that, by tv ratings etc, is class as good?

It's the continually watching it or listening to it while continually whining about it that's the problem.

It's not like there aren't a gazillion other shows they can listen to in todays world of podcasts and streaming services. The fetishisation of negativity is weird.

Indeed. And very quite they were about the Callum Robinson situation last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It’s not though. On my podcast feed today, the panel show came up. I saw the words “John”, “Duggan” and “Djokovic” so I knew for a fact that this was a show I had to skip or else I’d be tearing what’s left of my hair out. I didn’t listen but I know well what Duggan would have said, how he said it and how he portrayed the case of evil Djokovic in general. The Brian O’Driscoll show on the other hand, I listened to yesterday because the wokeness was nowhere to be seen and all we had was cold, hard, excellent analysis of the rugby. No vaccines, no virtue signalling, no Covid, no racism, no self hatred.

No vaccines, no virtue signalling, no Covid, no racism, no self hatred.

Sport impacts, and is impacted by all of these in some way or another (well the Vaccine, covid and racism anyway that is. The virtue signaling and self hatred only exists in the mind of some of the listeners).

Any show discussing sports events without reference to items which are relevant to them is only giving half the picture.

Maybe people listen and like some of it yet also dislike some other things and that's what they prefer to talk about because people are more likely to complain about things than praise things?

because people are more likely to complain about things than praise things?

Some people are.

But the issue I have with that is that in relation to this thread it just starts and ends with the complaint. I don't understand why topics like that which are discussed on the show cannot be discussed on this or other threads in the context of how they are impacting or should or shouldn't impact sport. But, certainly on this thread, we never get any discussion/debate about the topic really, just condemnation for them having discussed it or held a particular view on it.

Covid/Vaccines/racism are high interest topics the likes of which often have their own threads, but specific conversation about them in relation to sport generally gets lost in the bigger conversation and so there doesn't really end up being any debate about the topic focused in relation to sport.

OTB frequently get contributors on who are well worth listening to or the topics is worth discussing, and we don't see a conversation arising out of that on here, they're generally not mentioned at all, but we had several posts about a tennis contributor focused only on her having the nerve to dislike Djokovic.

Because often it's not the topic that I, and others, find ridiculous. The presenters and guests drive the narrative. So for example, the Djokovic conversation was terribly one sided. They could be accused of inciting violence to the man. "there's a non zero chance they storm the court and dismember him" quipped the guest while herself and Joe laughed.

Joe then went on to say how he was curious to see what kind of reaction the crowd would give him, whether they'd boo or cheer him. Then Joe goes on to say "ah well I'm sure his hardcore fans will find some way of getting tickets". It was basically a win-win for Joe in his commentary that Djokovic was hated by everyone. If the crowd boos, then they obviously hate him, but if they cheer it's not possibly because he's the best in the world, it's because his hardcore fans managed to get hands on some tickets.

It's similar to the conversation about the Italian 100m sprint champion. They were basically questioning his links to a nutritionist who had connections to doping. A guest and Joe went on to say something along the lines of "I question the olympics as there's so much doping associated with it". "How could someone just suddenly become an olympic champion out of nowhere" they were discussing, implying he was doping. Maybe a fair and balanced broadcaster could give some examples of historical examples of other sportspeople coming out of nowhere. Jamie Vardy came out of nowhere to be a prolific premier league goalscorer, no one questioned whether he was using PEDs.

• Advertisement

Because often it's not the topic that I, and others, find ridiculous. The presenters and guests drive the narrative. So for example, the Djokovic conversation was terribly one sided. They could be accused of inciting violence to the man. "there's a non zero chance they storm the court and dismember him" quipped the guest while herself and Joe laughed.

Guests and presenters always drive the narrative. It's the same on Monday night Football on Sky, TalkSport Radio and Second Captains. If Wooly was still on OTB and had said that he though Djpokovic should be let play and everyone should mind their own business, would you be annoyed if he expressed such an opinion.

Joe then went on to say how he was curious to see what kind of reaction the crowd would give him, whether they'd boo or cheer him. Then Joe goes on to say "ah well I'm sure his hardcore fans will find some way of getting tickets". It was basically a win-win for Joe in his commentary that Djokovic was hated by everyone. If the crowd boos, then they obviously hate him, but if they cheer it's not possibly because he's the best in the world, it's because his hardcore fans managed to get hands on some tickets.

This whole paragraph is just you presuming to know Joe's motivation for saying something that he didn't actually say.

It's similar to the conversation about the Italian 100m sprint champion. They were basically questioning his links to a nutritionist who had connections to doping. A guest and Joe went on to say something along the lines of "I question the Olympics as there's so much doping associated with it". "How could someone just suddenly become an olympic champion out of nowhere" they were discussing, implying he was doping. Maybe a fair and balanced broadcaster could give some examples of historical examples of other sportspeople coming out of nowhere. Jamie Vardy came out of nowhere to be a prolific premier league goalscorer, no one questioned whether he was using PEDs.

The reality is that the amount of evidence with respect to athletics and the Olympics is very much that if someone comes out of nowhere, they are more likely to be doing something illegal than not. Jamie Vardy is not really a fair comparison given the raw talent in football is not limited to fitness/aerobic capacity/stamina as much as it is in athletics or swimming for example. We have our own evidence of that from the 96 Olympics.

Even if you look at Jamie Vardy, and as you rightly pointed out, he came from nowhere (to some degree) But he's a pretty isolated case is he not, the amount of footballers like him who go from non-League to Premiership winners medal and top scorer are very very rare. Would it be fair to give equal weight to the likelihood of that happening elsewhere when it is so very rare?

Advertisement