Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Blut2

Clonkeen College/these new apartments (and the area around them) postal codes aside though are still in no practical way in Blackrock. Its either Cabinteely or Deansgrange in reality.

Its 3.7km from Clonkeen College (as the crow flies, even longer on roads) to Blackrock village like. Its equidistant to Shankill or Sandyford, or 3km from Carrickmines or Ballybrack, yet nobody is claiming it resides in any of those for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭vrusinov

Was house-hunting recently. I've seen places almost in Leopardstown called as 'Blackrock'.

Glencullen is going to be in Blackrock before you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

There's a new build proposed for Glasthule as per the following image:

It's on the old garrage/florist place. It looks interesting. The residential units will probably cost half a million or the guts of a million each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really nice design, hope it gets the green light.

That’ll be interesting. There is a really nice coffee/gelato/pizza place there now, it would be good to see it reopen in the new building. And of course, Nigel’s .

garage forecourt’s can be problematic for building on though, so it may not be a quick project. It’s going to cause carnage with traffic as well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭qb123

Looks good, but there'll be a fair few objections to it based on the height - nothing similar height in the village, though seafront has the apartments so that may be used as a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I live in Leopardstown, my postal address is Blackrock. If somebody uses the "Foxrock Dublin 18" address for me it delays the post by up to 3 days.......Oh and by the way........Shankill is Dublin 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why should vigilantes like you get to take the posting rules into your own hands?

Cos if we let commercial ads take over the forums, which is against the site rules anyway, we may as well turn the rest of the lights off on an already troubled Boards.ie.

I'll ignore your clumsy equivalence and passive aggression today Andy, I couldn't be less in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, you've got Rocwood in Blackrock and Westminster Lawns in Foxrock right beside each other, both being Stillorgan adjacent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

MOD NOTE: reporting of posts that breach the charter and/or boards.ie rules is encouraged so please don't criticise users for doing so.

Mentioning of small local events is usually fine but copy/pasting an entire press release like the one that was posted is not on.

There's a candlelit vigil in memory of Ashling Murphy tomorrow, Saturday, at 4pm at the seafront gate to the People's Park in DL for anyone who would wish to attend.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the forum building (Spar) is 3 floors and slightly uphill of this place. And Quinn's have permission to build a 4 storey extension (behind the main building) on the opposite corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m planning on heading down and bringing the kids.

I’ve two girls and help train a running club with about 100 young girls in it, so want to show my support. I’m not sure what can change but want to show support and hopefully something can happen so they both are safe and feel safe when out

A million different solutions are needed, from sentencing for serious crime against the person, to the basic instincts of some men and boys that everyday passive aggression against women and girls is OK.

I've a niece of 20 years of age, an absolute beauty just like her mother before her. I'm helping her with some bits of a dissertation at the moment and she rang me today about it and I asked her straight out what had she experienced in her time. What she told me about the unwanted attention, the groping, the persistent harassment, the deliberate threatening behaviour made my blood run cold.

Honestly I hadn't got a clue lads, not a clue. And the saddest part was she told me, matter of factly, because she is quite tall and went through a reasonably early puberty, she's had to deal with this since 12 years of age. 12 **** years old.

I don't know where we start...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I'll be heading down with my lot. I have three sons and am trying to bring them up as best I can.

I know this isn't the thread for it, maybe they all should be at the moment to shake people out of their ignorance like I was, but I can't help feeling that the extent of single-sex education we still have in this Country from ages 4 to 18 is a massive chasm of lost opportunity to develop respect and understanding across the sexes, just the time kids are learning everything important about how the World works.

• Advertisement

Depends on your point of view I guess.

The Council haven't got a good recent record of having their SHD objections upheld.

Anyone thinking refusal for a reasonable apartment complex being built during our country's greatest housing and homelessness crisis in it's history has a pretty warped point of view. That location is next to the LUAS, very close to the N11, and within walking distance of huge numbers of employers in Sandyford. Its ideal for a large apartment complex.

Hopefully that refusal gets overturned.

No thought given to the residents of the area at all??. The home owners on Leopardstown Lawn and Silver Pines will have their garden light and privicy devestated.

There are 6 houses in Leopardstown Lawn that would potentially have their garden light disrupted. But given planning permission rules not by much. There can't be any housing built directly overlooking into their property.

Silver Pines is well to the West of the development and will have no potential for sun disruption.

So do you think its right that 6 households, which might lose a small amount of garden light, get to prevent housing being built for 463 households as a result? That number of units could take 1000+ homeless people off the streets.

If you stick with that logic no new apartment blocks will be able to be built anywhere in Dublin. There are few vacant sites in Dublin as suitable for apartment building as the Leopardstown Road one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭markpb

People living in a city must expect that the city will change around them. You can’t buy a house and insist that nothing changes until the day you die, that’s both unrealistic and selfish. If you want that level of privacy, buy an acre of land in the countryside.

Actually, they won't.

You'd be amazed how high a building needs to be to block out the Sun, even in winter. Hint - 10 storeys at 50m distance isn't it.

Also these places are designed to avoid overlook as much as is practicable.

As the lads have said above, you're not entitled to a view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

That's an ideal site for a development like the one proposed. Right next to hundreds of workplaces and the LUAS line. Would suit many people who work in the large offices there.

But wait, a handful of people don't want to see anything but semi detached housing so lets refuse permission. And An Tasice of course, who have completely tarnished their image with their pointless appeals over the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is anyone getting their water supply distrupted in Blackrock this morning as per Irish Water Care on Twitter. It's due to low water pressure in the area. My next door neighbour told me about it this morning while a job was being done on the house.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iwcare

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Mav11

Thats great news for the IADT students in theory, but the rent will probably be massive for the apartments. From the sounds of things they're definitely aimed at the premium end of the market with an included gym and cinema room.

Still, definitely good news for local businesses and the housing market in the area in general.

Yes good news and the inclusion of a pub in the development serves local (including IADT) needs.

Some big news regarding Frascati today.

There are 2 separate proposals for new apartments to be built there. The 1st block consists of 98 apartments being built at the back of Frascati Centre in Blackrock.

There's an additional 41 apartments being proposed to be built on the site of Frascati as well.

If you add the 45 apartments being built on Frascati's rooftop at the moment. The two other proposed developments adds up to 184 apartments.

Although the local residents who live around the centre are not happy with it. Poor sunlight and privacy appears to be the main reasons who are against the proposal.

Do you think they're right?

I'm surprised to hear that will be amounting to 7 storeys high once finished. Do people here that is good for the area or very excessive?

In the real world 7 stories is nothing

Poor sunlight and privacy appears to be the main reasons who are against the proposal.

According to the Irish Times they are more concerned about the "serious monetary impairment" to their properties, if the scheme goes ahead!!

• Advertisement

In a separate development Ossian Smyth is looking for more units and less car spaces for the proposed development on Tivoli Rd.

That'll go down well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭qb123

The Frascati is nothing but a running a joke at this stage - it's never going to be anything but a construction site, with all the attendant nuisance that brings for tenants and local residents. In principle I'd have no problem with the development is it had been proposed from the start: when there's just a continuous stream of new planning applications for the site though, surely you've got to call a halt to it at some stage for the sake of those affected.

@Larbre34 Would be interested in your take but you seem to be banned for some reason. (Anybody know why?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Does anyone know whats happening with green space outside the Lidl at the Sallynoggin roundabout? I know there was aspestos issues there before but wasnt that all cleared up when they built the Lidl there?

Its been a a bit of a wasteland for years now with the only activity being Christmas tree selling every December from what I can see. I thought there was going to be an old folks home or something built there?, but nothing seems to be happening in years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

New planning in for it: https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/91863#documents

Permission for a strategic housing development consisting of: construction of a Build-To-Rent residential development of 147 no. apartments (9 no. studio, 51 no. one bedroom, 67 no. two bedroom and 20 no. three bedroom) in 4 no. blocks (ranging in height from five to nine storeys over basement level)

Pic montage of the development: https://planningapi.agileapplications.ie/api/application/document/DLR/3452686

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

Great to see so many dense developments being planned in the area. Already I see so many in opposition to high rise in Sallynoggin. Even though the tallest part is only 9 stories. Similar to Frasati, these people must suffer from vertigo when they go on holiday to New York, Paris or Benidorm.

Great to see a local representative Ossian Smyth being a YIMBY (yes in my backyard) looking to push for increased dwellings at the site in Dun Loaghaire. And of course Mr. "I Oppose Everything", Boyd Barrett, thinks the plan is too excessive! I see he's also out opposing the Sallynoggin scheme.

• Advertisement

@Larbre34 Would be interested in your take but you seem to be banned for some reason. (Anybody know why?)

He must have said something very bold🤣🤣🤣

Great to see Ossian Smyth actually trying to improve the local area. Boyd-Barrett seems to object to literally any form of housing development, while ranting in the Dail about the housing crisis at the same time. Hes the ultimate hypocritical NIMBY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for that, i see one of the attached pdfs there has a link to the development website - https://glenagearygateshd.com/

Heres the overall layout, https://planningapi.agileapplications.ie/api/application/document/DLR/3452750

Looks pretty good I have to say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Yes indeed a good idea. However I'd love to see his proposal as to how to increase the number of dwellings on the site, so as to render the development less harmful to biodiversity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Where exactly is the development supposed to be going? Is the lane they're talking about the one that goes up to St Joseph's school?

I've just heard about the tragic accident of the poor woman who was killed at Myrtle Square in Dun Laoghaire. I cannot imagine the level of grief that occurred among the staff who were working at Bloomfields SC this morning. May she RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Aren't crashes and collisions all an accident if not intentional?

First, how do you know it's not intentional, when there are no details of what happened?

Secondly, where do draw the line- do drivers accidentally speed or accidentally use their phones? Do truck operators accidentally put vehicles with known large blind spots into urban areas without adequate cameras or mirrors or crews on watch?

'Accident' is judgemental, usually with no evidence to support it. Crash or collision is factual, not judgemental.

• Advertisement
Advertisement