Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I agree.

The biggest impact of the restrictions for me and my lifestyle is travel but that does not mean I have no empathy with others.

I have heard people say it does not really bother them but they really need to put themselves in other people’s shoes. There are Still strong restrictions on the lives and livelihoods of a good chunk of our population. The night time economy, culture, entertainment, the cinema for gods sake, and sports matches with restrictions of 5000 spectators. This also ignores lasting damage - the cost of supports, debt (which young people will have to pay), closed businesses, lost opportunities in terms of investment including in the health service etc.

It is very frustrating hearing that narrow viewpoint - sure it’s grand, does not impact me….

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I cant put this into scientific terms and I wont pretend to know what I'm talking about. But to me and many others it always looked like this will follow a pattern. And peak will be on January 8 - precisely like last year. To the day.

Not much of a prediction really if one cant put substance behind it, but here we are, January 8.

Which puts a certain light on our efforts to 'manage & curb' this virus. Lockdown, no lockdown, vaccinations no vaccinations, masks no masks, the list goes on -> January 8.

Maybe our own estimation of our ability to influence this thing is somewhat exaggerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

I've had problems with EU covid cert for travel because it's bollox. getting on a crammed plane with untested vaccinated people does nothing to prevent spread. The certs do nothing but impose on people's freedoms, both vaxxed and unvaxxed. Since the beginning they have been discriminatory rushed nonsense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can argue we gave high level of debt but your statement that we wouldn't be allowed into the eurozone is misleading and scaremongery. The rules on joining the eurozone are based on Debt to GDP and it being before 60% which I think we squeak under. It doesn't matter if there is a better metric for Ireland, this is that is used to determine entry to the eurozone. Also most eurozone countries are above 60% debt to GDP including Germany, France, Austria, Finland. So, yes our current debt levels might would forbid us from joining the eurozone if we weren't already in it, but it would also block lots of other eurozone countries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Did he actually say there is no return to 2019? Did he go into anymore details?

If things keep going on the current trajectory we should be back to October level restriction at the end of the month and probably UK like restrictions by the start of March. I think we will end up keeping masks in essential retail and public transport but other than that what else would be needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

His exact qoutes:

“Living with Covid He looked to the future of the pandemic and how Ireland will transition as the pandemic continues.The Taoiseach said: “We have to learn to live with it and when I say live with it, I don’t mean going back to pre-2019 as if it never happened.”

”Living with Covid means adapting and being flexible, having a strong annual vaccination programme. We’re looking at vaccine policy now for the next 12 weeks."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Thanks. For me the big one is social distancing. Be interesting to see how restrictions are dealt with next month

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭iwasliedto

I think we will have another bigish drop in positives today. The testing bookings dropped significantly on Thursday in Dublin, they were slightly up yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I pass a HSE testing centre 4 times a day. The difference in traffic and queues in over the last 2 weeks is very stark. Yesterday evening at 4:30 and it was empty except for 3 cars. I wonder are they winding down?

it must be costing a fortune, perhaps it’s time to start investing that money elsewhere in the health service.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

14,555 new cases and just over 5K positive antigen tests uploaded.

• Advertisement

Here's an extract from a Journal piece last September with some numbers.

Figures released to The Journal under the Freedom of Information Act 2014 show that in 2020, operating Covid-19 testing centres cost the State €19 million.

This year, that expense has risen to nearly €28 million up to the middle of August.

Meanwhile, the cost of the testing process in laboratories was €246 million last year and €189 million in the first eight months of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Those numbers now become completely irrelevant.

PCR testing becomes largely unnecessary now and it's of little value to individuals to be posting their positive antigen tests to a database when only they need act on them themselves.

My estimate would be that 14k cases are maybe 25% of actually number and 5k of positive antigen test are maybe 5-10% of the actual number.

Within a week all we will be hearing from the HSE are hospital and ICU numbers. They are the only metrics that are both accurate and relevant.

By and large they should but the positivity levels are still of interest, as NHPET will use them in their decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Big time. Well the capability needs to remain in case another nasty variant or god forbid something else comes along but emphasis on pcr testing is ending imo. Money can be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭thebronze14

He hasn't been the worst during all this, compared to Byrne, Kenny or Lee anyway. Mind you that's a depressingly low bar

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

My in laws have been psychological damaged by these people. They have hung on every word and have stopped living and become reclusive. Now the only people they will believe that things are getting better and an end is possibly in sight are these same hacks. Pr|cks.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you do the GNI comparison, Ireland has come through the pandemic as one of the top of the OECD:

National income - Gross national income - OECD Data

UK had an awful time (likely Brexit related), Denmark had growth in 2020 whereas Sweden was flat. Again, this is one of the reasons why everything is being done cautiously, compared to most economies, Ireland has been in rude health. It also means whatever euro zone stimulus is put in place post pandemic, Ireland will be in a great position to take advantage.

(of course, government and budgetary policy affects these numbers greatly as well, maybe the self-committed hari-kari of Brexit by the UK has driven our growth).

Again, complete revisionism, multiple surgeries were being cancelled due to pressure on the system, a disproportionate amount of that pressure from the unvaccinated, this has been repeated in most countries. You've been given the figures multiple times, it has to be complete blinkers at this stage that's driving your narrative.

Most opinion polls support the current measures and they enjoy opposition support for them, having an election or referendum on them would be pointless, the election would be fought on every other policy and no one has said what the referendum would be on, adding so they can implement passes (that's already there, so why a referendum?) a referendum that they can't use passes when every party already supports them? Why would the Dail ever vote for that, it's a complete waste of time.

• Advertisement

2013 wants it’s talking point on Irish GDP back.

The “tax haven” sector is the fastest growing area of government revenue, by far. Not to mentions the taxes paid by hundreds of thousands of employees of these “tax haven operations” and those that service them are paid way above average

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

No. Post vaccine, procedures and surgeries were being cancelled due to fear of pressure on the system - pressure above what was accepted for the past decade that never materialised, post-vaccine - and because of covid protocols in hospitals.

There is a disproportionate number in hospitals unvaccinated but it is much smaller than reported, and lower here than in other countries that had fewer vaccine and booster uptakes.. and based on our own governments manipulation of that information, I’d expect other countries’ data to be inflated. The hospitals should be coping as they did in 2019 (not good enough and too much pressure on them, but that’s not on Covid post-vaccine).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are you trying to suggest that all corporation tax is from brass plate operations?

In the event that you are not suggesting this, please provide your statistical source for the claim that out of all corporation tax collected, the fastest growing revenues are that element from tax sheltered entities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So you’re stating that the Covid Certs are here to stay? Without any mandate for them? The election occurred before the pandemic. If Covid Certs are intended on staying, they need to go to the people one way or the other. Also your declaration of ‘most people’ supporting them doesn’t wash. They’re completely unscientific & do not stop Covid spreading. Why would people want to accept their participation in society being conditional on a QR code the Government / EU can turn off at any moment.

What referendum question would be asked? Opinion polling is strongly in favour of the measures and the opposition support the measures, which party would you vote for to change this? Any election would be about housing, taxes and the economy.

Again, revisionism, just a few short weeks ago procedures were being cancelled because of pressure on the system, a lot of that pressure coming from unvaccinated patients.

I've no doubt Omicron will change those figures going forward but that doesn't rewrite the past problems, the data is clear as day from the CSO.

I've no doubt we'll have a bunch of people trying to paint things with Omicron are as they were with Delta, that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I do notice something about Sweden alright. (Remember, these are humans dying)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

No, I am trying to suggest the brass plate operations are no longer the driver of gdp growth. They exist, they influence or overall gdp, but they are no longer a sector in growth on Ireland

• Advertisement

Can you include Norway Finland and Denmark? You know, the 3 countries most similar to Sweden by far

Advertisement