Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Once Bealham went off Connacht really struggled. When the Loosehead had to move to tighthead and kenny back on i thought Connacht would get beat but the hung in there til the end. Connacht subs didnt really add anything positive.

TOH carrying into weise, for the turn over instead of passing, which started the comeback was one of a number of bad calls by TOH. He played well enough but does some crazy things. Porch was also poor maybe fitz should of came on if they were going to kick so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

GUYS let's see what's happening.

A single BP next week and we're through play-off

+ It's home and away

+ table has bigger teams low, so we may escape Clermont, Montpellier or Exeter

So if we finish 8th it does not really matters

This is just magnificent

bravo, your right!

and to be honest, we could get 2 bp aswell, or even 5

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I think after 10 minutes of that game, you'd have taken 2 points. Obviously going 18 clear, we should be able to hang on, but the scrum was our undoing, along with some poor kicking. Our back 3 had a poor game both collectively and individually. Tiernan in particular has some very poor moments.

Question - when Aungier went off, could we have gone to uncontested scrums somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MrTea

With you on this one. Losing like this is ****, but have the courage to lose honourably and give credit to the winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

I'm not for booing either or there were people jeering Burns when he was lining up the last couple of conversions. No need for it.

What I will say on the final try is from where I was down towards the college road end of the clan, looking down to the big screen it really did look like the foot was in touch. I suspect this might also be something to do with bundee and a few more protesting after the game.

I've still not seen it but heard from friends who watched on tv that it was tight but try was scored

That helps explain their reaction. Must have been incredibly frustrating for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Stade playing now and if they lose and tomorrow we are all but qualified. Can't see castre bothering next week. If stade loses tonight I reckon we will be 5 points next week

"Scarlets were to lose tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Yep 100pc looked obv no try on big screen.

• Advertisement

OK starlets lose tomorrow, then castres need a bonus win away in London. I reckon we are OK. Would be nice to get an trip away to bristol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Great atmosphere in the ground today. Thought we might get an early cancellation with the fire alarm!

Lads ran out of steam and once Finlay left we struggled in the front row. I remember thinking at 28.10 we'll hardly let them back in to it. As someone else said above we just needed to camp in their half a while or get a few penalties and put some pressure on.

The constant kicking game obviously was the game plan but I'm not sure why they kept going with it.

Thought Oliver was fantastic again.

Not only Castres have to get five away to quins, but we would also have to waste a 31 points difference against a Stade Français A team. Won't happen.

Or Scarlets get something from Bordeaux AND win in Bristol ... Won't happen either

WE ARE THROUGH FOR THE 1st TIME EVER :)))))))

BTW can't be Bristol, can it? We've got to draw a team from the other pool I think. It's gonna be La Rochelle, Sale, or Racing IMO

nothing more difficult than what we faced and proved we're able to equate

+ It will be an (even) better Connacht team with Farrell, Aki, Boyle, Porch reaching their peak, and Thornbury, Daly, Buckley, Hansen back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bundee has rushed out some sort of fulsome apology for his actions at the end.

Obviously suddenly concerned with being cited and missing the first few 6N rounds.

or he actually feels bad and has cooled off. In fairness he's not one for normally acting like that. We all make mistakes in life. It takes a courageous person to admit it.

yes your right, the man bleeds green!!! and We as a socity have to be able to accept an apology, God knows other in society could learn,

I dont like the booing thou, thought Paul Boyle was well over that ball for 3-5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

There was a similar one in front of the clan a minute or 2 before where blade got in a great position over the ball, Raynal put the whistle in his mouth after a good few seconds and then blade was eventually blown off the ball and the whistle wasn't blown. 99% of the time for me he was on the ball more than long enough for a penalty to be given but even then was probably less time than Boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hands on ground beyond ball, then he knocked it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought his apology was spot on, no if I offended anyone shite just straight up I was wrong, there was kids watching and no need for it in sport.

FWIW, I'm of the believe he issued the apology off his own bat rather than some one telling him to do it trying to diffuse the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm pretty sure if you go to uncontested scrums now you have to play with 14 players as teams were using it tactically

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Am I alone in thinking I wouldt take much satisfaction in making the last 16 of a 24 team competition... the aim was always a Heineken Cup quarter final and I don't think that should change because there's an extra round of knockouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

But by making the last 16 you still have the chance of making the quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Never thought of that 😆

I'll save the champagne and d*** sucking for when we win in the next round is all I'm saying

So Connacht-Leinster here we go

Except if we chose not to take the 5 next week

And we'd be better to. Full rotation, get 4, 1 or no point. we'd then finish 6th 7th 8th, but avoid 5th. We should do this, there's basically no risk Castres get past us. And we'll be sure of this BEFORE our game vs Stade Français B

I know some will scream, but I endorse my point : Don't take this TBP guys, we can chose wisely our opponent next sunday, any of the others are good but Leinster is just the best, that's the team you have to escape from

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster still haven't re-signed Chris Cloete. I don't think he'll be offered a renewed contract with Munster. I hope Connacht are talking to him because I think a good quality hard working 7 could add a lot to your pack and he's an Irish qualified player who I'd love to see stay in Ireland.

Conor Oliver left Munster partly because Cloete was ahead of him in the pecking order, but I think they could complement each other, especially if Oliver gets brought into the Irish squad as some are calling for

Cloete gets a bit of stick for giving away penalties, but he can be a game changer and is a good mobile 7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Arguably the best man over the ball in the country, him and Beirne are turnover machines.

He's a headcase though, always liable to be carded or let the argy-bargy off the ball affect his game. If you can get the best out of him he'd be a brilliant signing I think, he'd definitely add to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Cloete is a good player but I'd imagine signing an openside will be a long way down our list of priorities. We have Oliver, Butler, and Oisin McCormack is likely to graduate from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

it absolutely looked a try on the big screen so the crowd were incensed. The booing of the ref isn’t on, however, and replays since show the decision was unfortunately correct.

on burns’ kick, the noise from fans in the Clan wasn’t to put off the kicker but because steve borthwick was going out to the sideline (and, I think, onto the field) to talk to his players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Doesn't sound from that like you're over stocked in opensides tbh. 2 senior players and an academy prospect on the depth chart for a key position means you're 1 injury/international call-up away from being forced to play players out of position to plug a gap

Munster currently have Cloete, POM, Jack O Donoghue, Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Jack O Sullivan and Alex Kendellen all as capable openside flankers with a proven record in that role.

Lots of these players also cover 6, but there's redundancy there

Advertisement