Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Davy and Lee Chin bought a restaurant in Wexford. Davy is making a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Enjoyed the santis interview, all to real

Davy is a poor manager. All he does is run the arse out of the players. After a couple years they burnout and collapse, just like Jim McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A fraud of a manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

People think GAA lads do it for the love of it. I learned something from a couple of people I know who would know exactly what the story is.

I was told trainers of intermediate teams can get 100 euro plus per training session.

Another lad I know was on the Roscommon panel when Kevin McStay was manager. Kevin was in the army and has a big pension. Kevin wanted to take the team for a bonding session but the board couldn't get the funds right away. Kevin brought the whole team to a 5 star hotel for a weekend out of his own pocket.

The team had an entertainment manager. The board would pay for the squad to go on holidays and premier league games.

The managers get great benefits and money. Brand new car from sponsors. There's big money in it for the managers, even for the small counties.

Have a look at the increase in costs Wexford spent when Davy took over...

Well, along with the spiked increase in funding sliotars for the senior panel, Wexford GAA have announced an overall increase of €250,000 in team costs for 2017 - a 36% increase on spending in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement

"there's more to life than a hurling game"

So why are you spending 60-70 hours a week doing it?

"Family is no.1"

Says the man spending 60-70 hours a week coaching hurling. In addition to doing Irelands Fittest Family, doing Davy's Toughest Team, running all his bars and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Can't edit the double quote, But you're right, I forgot 2013

Indeed a great example of 2 "poor" managers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Even as a non GAA fan Fitzgerald isn't likeable in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

one key line in that story was glossed over … “It isn't all blind expenditure however. Wexford, on account of the renewed enthusiasm for the county's hurlers this year, pocketed an additional €447,135 for 2017.”

wexford were handsomely up from bringing in Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,539 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I used think Davy was a bit of hot headed guy but you'd put up with him.

However now I feel like your watching on the school bullies and you know they haven't changed.

I'd have watched him before but not anymore.

It's nearly always the same spiel with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

That's ridiculous he is one of the greatest gaa hurling managers ever.

He managed Limerick IT to 2 Fitzgibbon cups

He won All Ireland with Clare. Clare have only won 3 All Irelands in football or hurling in over a century, in over 100 years. In 108 years Clare have won 3 All Irelands. And Davy was involved in all 3, 2 as a player and one as manager. He won league division 1 title with Clare their first league title in 38 years and the only league title Clare have won in the last 44 years.

He won Munster title with Waterford which is the last time Waterford won the Munster title , that was 12 years ago under Davy. And he led Waterford to their first All Ireland final in 45 years.

He took Wexford to their first leinster final in 9 years and won Wexfords first leinster title in 12 years. Wexford have only won 2 leinster titles in last 25 years, Davy won one of them.

That's an outstanding CV. Better than many. In hurling terms he is one greatest managers ever. His record is outstanding. Counties like Tipp Cork kilkenny have dominated hurling. Davy took on the big 3 and was successful.

Waterford have only won 1 Munster in the last 14 years and that was under Davy. Wexford have won 1 leinster title in the last 18 years and that was under Davy. Clare have won 1 All Ireland in the last 25 years that was under Davy. If Davy didn't go to Clare or Waterford or Wexford all those counties would have being more than likely still waiting for sucesss. As a player and manager with teams like Clare Waterford Wexford who have had little success compare to the big 3, Davy has achieved success with him. He is one of the greatest gaamanagers ever.

If Davy managed Tipp he'd win things but I could nearly guarantee Tipp would go years and years after with nothing because he completely runs the bejaysus out of them. His Wexford reign ended with a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not the greatest of shows. I thought your one in the middle Santis was the best. Did not care for Gabrial very boring and the same with your man at the end very boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I really enjoyed the 3 interviews last night. Well done RTE and Tommy for this fascinating show.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Xander10

Enjoyed the GB one.

I felt he over did the "left hanging silences" with Santis. Maybe it's losing a feel of originality. She was very likeable.

I've zero interest in listening to anyone interview DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Really enjoyed the Gabriel Byrne Interview , actually more of an interaction, as for Davy Fitzgerald 🙄 had to put that on mute , had no idea who Santis O’Garro was but she was impressive.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Was talking to Pat Ryan, who was Limerick camogie coach last year. Said he wasn't getting much between training and travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I think when actors get to a certain age the lines between acting and reality begin to blur , Jonny dep also

Camogie probably different.

There's very wealthy individuals in every county who are into their GAA who are happy to pump money into it.

Look at Teneo sponsoring Tipp, a global management firm. Teneos target market is not GAA crowd. Look at Mayo and the controversy over the backer...

The independent supporters fund is backed by UK-based financial trader Tim O'Leary, who is of Mayo descent.

The body sent an email to clubs ahead of Wednesday night's county board meeting saying that it was withholding €250,000 of money it had raised in a row over governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,539 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Davy is one person who you really does polarise people who have dealings with him from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Yes we all have debt, big deal its called life lessons "dont live beyond your means and credit cards are for fools ", simple. Switched her off would have preferred more of the two lads love Davey, Gabriel was good too. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭briany

I used to agree with that, but I just had a thought - Tommy's good, but having Tubridy on week in, week out makes Tommy look even better. A bit like a pretty girl with the ugly friend.

I had wished that Tommy's show would eventually gain status as RTE's premier chat show (which it is in terms of quality) and all the high profile guests who occasion the LLS would be on Tommy's instead. Makes you think of the rich, explorative conversations Tommy could have with the likes of Anthony Hopkins. But many big stars are probably cautious about putting themselves in too many unscripted, intimate interviews, and wouldn't deign to do so on an insignificant Irish chat show.

The thing I like about Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Rea and Brenda Fricker having been on the show was you could tell they really wanted to be on it. They were probably sitting at home watching it, going, "Jesus, this is good...".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Jim Galvin now that's hyping up an manager. He had the pick of 5 Under 21 All Irelands and 1 minor All Ireland winning teams, millions funding from Irish government and gaa funding that amounted to 24 million plus. Cork come next with over 1 million. He had no competition in his province for decade, worst leinster, least competitive leinster championship in history. He didn't have competition until All Ireland semi final. In an era that is least competitive era in generations. In 90s you had 8 different All Ireland winners. And in 90s you had 4 All Ireland contenders in leinster. Jim Galvin was in charge of PSG Man City of GAA. Cannot compare him to Dublins greatest manager Kevin Heffernan or other greats like Mick Dwyer who did wonders with kildare and laois and Sean Boylan whose 2 in a row team 87 88 had no underage sucess.

Regards Davy winning only Clares third All Ireland in 108 years in 2013 is a great achievement. Clare have won 4 All Irelands. Davy has been involved in 3 of them, that is impressive.

He got Waterford to hurling senior final. Waterford did not reach hurling senior final in late 60s in 70s in the 80s in the 90s and it wasn't until Davy took over Waterford reached a senior final. Again you can degrade his achievement but again Davy achieved with Waterford.

The Wexford team were not good enough to win an All Ireland. Since 1960s Wexford have struggled, they have won 1 All Ireland in 50 years and reached 1 final senior in last 40 years. Wexford don't reach finals. Wexford struggle to win Leinsters. Watch how Wexford return to the pack without Davy. Winning leinster with Wexgord and turning Wexford into All Ireland contenders was a great achievement. GAA don't like characters. Anyone different or outspoken is frowned upon. Davy is a real mould breaker. When you look at the great hurling managers Brian Cody Cryil Farrell Michael Babs Keating Liam Griffin Ger loughnane Jimmy Barry Murphy Liam Sheedy John kiely, Davy joins that list. And his achievement with numerous teams puts him ahead of many. People don't like his personality, thats fair enough. But judge him on his achievements. They are impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hard to disagree with any of that, people like to dismiss his achievements because they don't like him, that's an average wexford team and almost won an all Ireland with them, think also Galway missed a trick not getting him in, think he would have done better job than what shevlin will do.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement