Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best apprenticeship to do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Friend of mine was a QS. He packed it in. Said your either trying to fcuk someone, or else they are trying to fcuk you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There's good money out of it but it's fair tough work. Have done a good bit of it and you wouldn't be fit for much else when you'd get home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You've also got to remember what trade is going to be recession proof? Well, none of them really, but some trades are a little more protected than others.

CAD technician, QS, shuttering carpentry, block layers, 1st fix carpentry, welding etc will always be the first to feel a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

if You were to be swayed from a trade would you consider an ag degee, that would let you go on to work as a farm advisor. You would gain great knowledge for your own farm, get to meet a lot of like minded people, and can work from home at times too.

wouldn’t be wrecked after a days work either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Youre either made for it or you arent but i have met some people like that and they tend to not stick around in jobs too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah, sure you're only saying that to make yourself sound nice Kev 😀

All ye QS are pure cowboys 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tommyturf

I think someone mentioned it already on this thread, but fencing would be a big earner, lad I know making a fortune, plenty of gear available these times to take the real hardship away from jobs. Start small with Agri type fencing jobs...from there diversify into the lucrative domestic/commercial fencing area 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 32 matt.v

Im not sure how much experience you have of the farming yet, but my advice would definitely be just work away on the farm for a while yourself and see what parts you gravitate to. No point picking a trade you won't enjoy because itd handy on the farm, when in reality it'd all be handy. For example If I was going doing one I would definitely do carpentry because I'd be knacky with it on the farm, making garden bits etc. My father on the other hand would definitely go into the welding and fabricating side of things.

Lot of people suggesting mechanic and it would be a handy one alright but not if you don't naturally have a good eye for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If you enjoy what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Lot of people suggesting mechanic and it would be a handy one alright

Wouldn't say its handy.

For the knowledge, tools and strength required, there is easier ways to make a living.

Every mechanic is well beat and contrary by 40!!

Very few people love their job after a few years

No matter what your passion, do it every day of your life and it will become a chore just like every other job.

The OP is going to have 2 jobs, on farm and off farm.

Make sure the off farm one isn't too taxing

Never work for an Irish man, and make sure the guy who pays your wages doesn't work beside you every day, or he'll get the value out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

That last line Fintan about not working beside the guy that pays your wages is great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Never work for an Irish man, in Ireland that might be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭893bet

The last two years have shown the way for the work from home culture.

Which is now here to stay. Choose a job that allow that, but also needs an on-site presence.

Must engineering jobs for this bill. Well paid and work from home a few days a week.

Any job you can do 100 percent from home……well……it won’t be long until the bean counter decides that can be done by some low cost country consultancy company or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

As a REC I definitely envied the money plumbers made on calls

Think it was already said but hard to beat if you stick to callouts and gas service etc and avoid the slog of installation work

I'd hazard a bet that FDI companies employ multiple times more than indigenous companies in Ireland.

If your looking for a well paid job that offers pension, health care, decent sick pay allowance, WFH opportunities etc, I can assure you it will rule out working for nearly all indigenous Irish companies

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scotty_golf9

First year apprentice carpenter here, love it. I got a voucher for screwfix over the xmas and was wondering whats handy to have in the toolbag ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scotty_golf9

Have 2, and i have a combi drill set and circular saw. Then the few hand tools and power tool accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Kreg jig maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

All true but just to balance that there is higher demands from MNC's with regards targets and performance. Good pay but you will earn it also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visatorro

is there such a thing as a solar panel technican/fitter or is that all done.

funny if you listened a ten years ago robots were going to do everything for people, this tech hasnt lived up yet so theres been a big push for young people to go into "trades". i started apprenticeship before the crash. every one was either going to college to do a construction or engineering course, or chancing their arms on building sites. plenty of money floating about that time. theres not much thought of hands on people anymore and government make it hard to earn enough to live in this country. whatever apprenticeship you do, id do health and safety course aswell and aim to be away from physical labour before 40. i probably regret not travelling to another country and earning good money for a few years aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No the saying is never work for a man that pays your wages, whether he is near you or not is immaterial.

The meaning of it is to always try to work for a big company ( there are some exceptions) or a public body or in that sector.

OP stay away from the real physical trades plastering, blocklayer. One problem with trades can be travelling time to and from work. In general your day is 8-5 with anything from30-90 minutes travelling each way to work. That means a lot of the time you are gone from 7-6.each day.

Tiler may be a good choice. Recently met a lad that is a qualified electrician but has gone into general maintenance. He will do a bit of plumbing, cleans chimneys, gutters, general house repairs. He is in demand by lads that rent houses as he can do virtually any job in a rented house. His big things is he can do the electrical house certs for rentals.

Of you want to work from your own farmyard then car mechanic is a good one. Stay away from heavy machinery. 50-70% of car work is servicing, brakes or other basic work. I know a lad getting 40 cash for a basic oil and filters service and the person arriving supplies the parts. This stops him having to vat register. You service a car in 60-80 minutes. You can buy second hand car lifts for 2k ish.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Sweeping brush and shovel🤣 the amount of times I've seen lads make a mess and walk away from it, when I was training you'd leave the place better than you got it or you'd get a bollokin but the basic things seem to have been forgotten, I remember going into houses having to clean them out free of charge so you could start your days work after other lads had made a mess of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

we have being tortured to death here trying to install a second hand milking parlour, we had the guys booked since may 21 and have being using them for the guts of 35 years and they let us down like a tonne of bricks, so may i suggest a milking parlour fitter as an apprenticeship.

I know a lad getting 40 cash for a basic oil and filters service and the person arriving supplies the parts. This stops him having to vat register. You service a car in 60-80 minutes.

Wouldn't advise my worst enemy to start that BR 🙂

€20 cash per hour for servicing cars at your shed, and having the hassle of waste oil disposal and of course the whole issue of cash payment. Risking a ball of heartache.

Easier ways to earn €20 an hour without getting the inevitable phonecall "it was OK until it was serviced"!

Post edited by FintanMcluskey on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

One week practical experience! Doubt they can legally work as electricians in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you want something to work with a farm a mechanic is as good as any. Your work comes to you. You will never earn money without some effort. Nobody ever hands you money for nothing.

Anybody that gave you the sob story "it was OK until it was serviced"! Never gets back into your yard again. It's too hard to get a decent independent mechanic to have to put up with that.

More like 30-40/ hour than 20.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

The legality of electrical work in Ireland is in the form of a registered electrician.

Any installation can be tested and certified by a registered electrician to comply with ETCI regulations, regardless of who completed the installation.

The big stumbling block is in finding a registered electrical contractor to carry out testing and certification of an installation they did not complete. But needless to say,there are contractors out there willing to do this for a handsome fee.

Advertisement