Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to knock kitchen and dining room together

Options
  • 15-01-2022 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭

Looking for a rough cost of removing an internal wall in order to join a kitchen and dining room together.

The wall is ground floor only - all studded walls upstairs. It's an average semi-d located in Dublin. Rear access would be through a door at the rear of the garage. There's currently a gas boiler in the kitchen we'd be looking to relocate to the garage.

Anyone here have something similar done recently? Apart from windows the house hasn't been touched since the 70s I'd say, so there'd probably be a fair amount of electrical work involved too.

PS I tried to search for similar threads, but the search function of the new boards is about as useful as a crocheted condom.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

the rooms above on first floor - are the floor boards running parallel or perpendicular to the wall you wish to remove?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

Hi, I had something similar done in 2017 in Kildare for €1000. That was for a non load bearing wall, but it did have a radiator and plugs on both sides which were moved to the back wall. That was an all in price including a new double radiator, tilling (tiles supplied by myself), plastering, plumbing, electrics and removal of waste but didn't involve any paperwork. I drove around the town and looked for builders that were working on houses nearby and asked for quotes and was willing to get the work done at short notice - which allowed it to be competitively priced as a filler for lads if there was a delay in one of the bigger jobs. Took a day and half to do.

Is there a zero missing there by any chance, or was it really only a grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

No it was €1k cash. There isn't a huge amount to knocking the wall (as long as it's not load bearing)... The problem is getting the trades in to disconnect and reconnect the rads and plugs and the tilling / plastering. I think the key is getting a builder that has a few proper jobs in the area so they have the trades to hand and can use it to fill out a day's work. I had 5 look at it and only 2 priced it! The other was nearly €2k. I'd imagine you could be looking at that or more now the way things have gone. I was probably lucky in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Steel required?

Anywhere from 5-8k finished.

Not sure. Going to look at the house again tomorrow. If the joists are resting on the wall I'm guessing steel is required, but if they're parallel then it won't be?

Advertisement