Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"May as well" applies when deciding whether or not to have a starter with your dinner.

It has no place in a decision to keep restricting people lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

was out and about this morning. Whatever about the end being nigh the general population still appear a bit reluctant to let go. Multiple sightings of people in cars alone masked up majority of people walking on the streets masked up and the usual queues outside certain shops. Would they ever I wonder make masks optional just for the cautious and scrap for the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pretty sure most people just forget to take off their masks when going between shops or else just keep them on cos they know they’re going to have to put it back on again when going into another shop. Don’t think it’s cos all these people are terrified of catching covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

This would be me! If I'm going from shop to shop I wouldn't take off my mask. But as soon as I'm finished that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Are queues outside shops still a thing? I haven't seen any in absolutely ages.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Drakeford needs no justification because, as I’ve said before, the Welsh would vote for a donkey so long as it wore a Labour rosette.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The masks I wear are made of single layer gauze and they’re so breathable that I often forget I’m wearing them. So I semi regularly end up looking like a car mask idiot.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Yeah it’s on the Welsh gov site. Can edit with link when near laptop, but I imagine Scotland and Wales are getting somewhat sick of being shown up by England this wave (in some respects that don’t involve wine, anyway) so the rest of the masks will go after with an FFP2 recommendation for vulnerable.

Which should have been the case all along but whatever.

Edit: https://gov.wales/coronavirus

Post edited by MilkyToast on

• Advertisement

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If it doesn't, should move the games outside of Dublin really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just got a text for a pcr test booking tomorrow, I never booked a test or was any where near the hse system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No. If you're a close contact you've to go online and answer questions and that determines if you get a pcr or antigens

Sorry to get your hope up! We’re still Irishing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

A wrong number?

How does the close contact tracing system work anyway? Is the person with covid mined for details of anyone they were in close contact with, and what happens if they don't have those contact details?

And if your child tests positive, does the HSE notify the school?

Probably sounds as if I've been on another planet for two years but I haven't knowingly had covid at any stage (nor been a close contact) so have not had to deal with 'the system'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

A very interesting study just published. Conducted in California from 30th November 2021 to 1st of January 2022 by Uniersity of California Berkeley, Kaiser Permanente and Center for Disease Control: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1

study conducted on 70k patients, 53k infected with Omicron and 17k with Delta.

Couple of interesting takeaways:

1. Hospital admissions are 3x lower with Omicron than Delta.
    2. ICU admissions are 4x lower with Omicron than Delta.
    3. 1 dead from Omicron (53k patients) vs 14 dead from Delta (17k) patients. Ratio of 44 if we consider per-thousand-cases.
    4. 26.6% cases of Omicron were unvaccinated vs 49.7% for Delta.
    5. 52.9% and 13.4% of Omicron cases were mRNA vaccinated with 2 and 3 doses respectively.
    6. Unvaccinated are 8x less likely to be hospitalised with Omicron than with Delta, and as likely as those vaccinated with mRNA 3 doses (2.2% vs 1.9%).

These are just some of the facts.

Omicron - the vaccine killer?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Interesting, thanks for these details. It does seem from the data coming out of several countries that omicron is disproportionately infecting the fully vaccinated. 🤔

For example, Denmark. Same in Canada.

• Advertisement

You need a code to your phone to verify, it's all a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like the booster take up is starting to plateau. 1 week ago it was 47%, a week later it is 50%. It has been up around 3 points over the last 3 weeks but before that it was it was up around 10points per week.

Covid infection rates may be impacting it but the graphs are suggesting it is arriving to a plateau.

The lack of enthusiasm could give the nphet government a carrot to keep restrictions or vaccine passes, as per EU guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

A lot of people got Covid in last few weeks. Current guideline is to get booster at least three months after an infection. I caught covid before the booster was rolled out to my age group. I would hazard a guess I am not the only one. Plus I think younger age groups are more likely to hold out until it suits them for travelling/Covid cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That would be the worst response from them but not the least surprising. 12-18s seems to have stalled and 5-11 looks like a non runner. With the amount of cases it's possible many can't get the booster or maybe they have lost the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

I think it is time to put the current ‘living with covid policy’ into context - the probability of death from Omicron is approx 0.002%.

it is time to get back to true normal. No covid passes, no pcr tests, no masks, no isolation. Omicron is a sore throat ffs.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

It certainly isn't. Mandatory vaccination is a road to ruin. For everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I cant believe I'm saying this but I think its over.

Just read in my German daily newspaper interview with one of the leading virologists there. Mr. Drosten. Head of the Charite Unilinik Berlin virology department and inventor of the PCR test no less.

He says omicron is the chance we must take. The train we need to jump onto. The thing that will end this pandemic and enter the endemic phase. We should enter this phase as vaccinated as possible to avoid unnecessary deaths, but after that thats it. Multiple vaccinations every year will not be sustainable and due to omicron and endemic we wont have to. And then we will have our lives back like before all this. Fully.

And Mr. Drosten would have been fairly vocal and influential during the pandemic. And pretty much on the alarmist side too. Not quite like the Cork ntubag but McConkey-ish definitely. I couldnt believe my eyes tbh.

And of course England, now Scotland, Wales. Spain. Denmark. Many places.

The signs are everywhere are they not? Its really happening.

Was out at a dinner party tonight and get the distinct impression people are completely done with it, waiting for the government to announce the end of all restrictions, and will be very angry if they don't.

Even the most vocal of the group who's spent the last year arguing with me about everything from masks to getting vaccinated to (in the beginning) whether there would even be a pandemic declared, is now completely unwilling to entertain restrictions continuing beyond the end of January without a clear "back to a completely normal, 2019-type March" plan. Most of the rest of them the same, and these are people who would have been on the government page pretty much the whole way through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

When is the next update due from NPHET lads?

Advertisement