Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correcting others people's Kids

• 15-01-2022 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Often we take it for granted that the parents will realise that a certain thing is out of order, and expect them to take action. But when they don't what option do you have other than to correct them.

There was an incident over the summer at a family event, where my niece was throwing grass at another kid. My younger sister (who's not the mother) then starting encouraging niece to start throwing grass at her boyfriend while he was sitting at a table conversing with others. The boyfriend was effectively an outsider in this group and he was pretty much facing in the other way and seemed to, either not notice, or ignore the grass landing on his legs. As you'd guess, this made her throw more grass until the grass started landing on his head. He eventually looked around and made a weak attempt to say 'stop stop' but to no avail. I expected someone else to say something but no one did. I didn't say anything either. Since then I've thought to myself that I'll have to step up in future. Now to be fair my sister has only been dating him for a short time so she's still probably trying to figure out what sort of a man he is by testing how he'll react in situations like this.

So over Christmas just gone I gave this girl (now 5) a present and as expected she didn't thank me. I gave the parents a chance to give the "now what do you say..." but there was nothing! Her husband muttered a thanks and then I said the line to the child myself. I didn't go down very well with the mother (older sister). Now to be fair she's never witnessed me correct her child before so it was probably completely unexpected to see me have that sort of take charge attitude out of nowhere, but I was still surprised that she was offended.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did the five year old give you a present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe buy the poor child a non-shite present next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

No, that's the thing. She was really excited about the present, but couldn't have given a damn about where it came from.

Yeah no, don't correct other people's kids. Not your call.

If they don't want to teach them basic manners, its their poor decision.

Wait smugly for it to come back and bite them on the a** in years to come.

But then consider why you gave the child the present? Was it for the child or for you?

If it was an ungrateful 15 year old then maybe you could be justified being a bit annoyed. But not a 5 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

As with most situations, there's a way of saying it. Tone and facial expression are as important as the words. Impossible for anyone here to know how you said it

You don't get it. I was annoyed with the at the fact the sister took issue with me correcting her... not the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Id mention it to your sister, at age 5 a child is old enough to be thought to appreciate a present and at least say thank you, not up to the Dad to say thanks either.

And you're old enough to know how to spell 'taught' 😜

• Advertisement

But apart from the spelling error, do you agree with Lapsypa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

I would have said something smart arse like, "awh, no need to say thanks mary-jane - you're one of my favourite nieces"

Then taken the present back obviously. Cheeky cow.

Yes I agree a 5 year old should say thanks, but I don't agree that it's your place to enforce that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

5 year old should have basic manners.

It's one of the first things you teach them..

You sister should have a bit of manners and teach her child manners.

But, definitely not your job to do it.

Children are a product of their environment. Monkey see, monkey do

If my sister wasn't a bit if a b1tch, then maybe I would feel more comfortable saying it to her instead in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

shure it'll be too late to teach any manners by the time the child is 15...

But you probably came across as a bit of a bitch yourself for reprimanding her child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

My 2 year old says thank you if you give her something.

She also says thank you when she's handing you something too as she's still figuring out when it's appropriate to say it 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Everyone and everything is precious today............ in their eyes, thats why the country is going down the sh#tter fast, fair play to ya for saying ot to them, back in the day ya'd be delighted with any kind of present and say thank you!( before any one has a melt down on me about my spelling I'm dyslexic ... its just the way of the world today) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If the parents aren't going to teach basic manners to their kids then a once off from someone else isn't going to make much difference. But you obviously hit a nerve with your sister about it as she knows you were implying her parenting is lacking a little. No big deal though, in a way you were teaching the parents too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'd ignore the parents and just try your best to instill some kind of manners into the child for their own sake. Ungrateful children turn into ungrateful adults and ungrateful adults tend to find life very hard as no one will do them any favour more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tis more than correct I'd like to do some times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

If it’s family that you’re close with and see regularly enough, I think you’re okay to correct the child with things like that. I’ve done it with nieces and cousins (the cousins are 15+ years younger than me). Anything major should go through the parents but with basic manners, it’s fair to correct them yourself. As they say, it takes a village.

Correcting other peoples kids is like any other type of ppl management

The art is in knowing when what is right becomes serious enough to deal with the fallout of insisting upon it using whatever authority you have (never enough) and the skill is in never looking like you are doing it to the ppl that matter

That's why they banned you from doing gigs for children, Mr. Glitter 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Thanks for the correction and yes, I’m old enough.

There used to be such a thing as communal parenting. We all have norms that we broadly agree on. For example, you don't go spitting around the place and you don't spit at others. If you did this in a public place as a little tyke, any civic-minded adult would pull you up on it right and proper and any absent parent who didn't appreciate such a correction would be part of the problem quite frankly.

At the park beside our apartment, the kids from our building and neighboring buildings meet and play every evening. The kids range in age from toddlers to 13-year-olds. Parents wander around as well, chatting and generally keeping an eye on things without helicoptering. I would have absolutely no problem with another father or mother having a word with my boys if they were doing anything untoward, and I have done likewise on occasion. It is mutually appreciated, at least where I live. And where that happens enough, you find that the kids generally start reinforcing that norm on each other before very long, thus continuing civilization in the long run. The conscientious kids know that the adults will back them up if it comes to it. If this doesn't happen, the miscreants take over and before long, anti-social behavior becomes the norm.

Here's the thing though -- it has to be an unmistakable transgression or a circumstance where harm is likely to occur, and almost always the erring child's parents wouldn't be on the scene at the moment in question. If my children ran up to an unknown adult and started flinging grass at them, and I wasn't around to stop them and make them apologize, I would have no objection to that or the nearest adult stepping in and telling them to stop. However, if the child was put up to it by another adult, as in your case, the right thing to do would be to speak with that adult and have them put a stop to it, rather than castigating the child.

There is a tendency for adults to be frightened of other people's kids these days, though. This is why many kids increasingly have no respect for adults and are so impertinent. I recently brought my sons' playmate, who was visiting our home, back to his parents quite abruptly after he misbehaved very badly and wouldn't apologize. As a seven year old he was completely stunned that such a consequence might arise. Quite simply there is no discipline or respect for adults shown in his house and it shows.

On the lack of thank you on receipt of the gift, this does happen very often with 5-year-olds, even very nice 5-year-olds. They are either overwhelmed with excitement at the gift, or simply forget what the appropriate response is, or become shy suddenly, or, in some cases, they either don't know what to do because the behavior hasn't been modelled and reinforced, or, they are testing either you or their parent. I would probably jokingly but half seriously say "you're welcome!" or something like that, but any decent parent would immediately urge their child to say thank you, on the spot, before it came to that.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

When I saw the title of the thread I thought to myself "Well that's easy - don't do it ever". Then I read the OP and saw it was their niece. I think if you've a good relationship with your sibling and their spouse/partner then you should be close enough to be able to do this with their children as well. Obviously if it doesn't go down well with the parents then don't do it again. As for non relatives - Never never never. There's a very real risk that the parents will get defensive as they will take your correction of their child as a personal criticism of their parenting skills and it's just not worth the grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You're the child's uncle and I think it's perfectly acceptable to correct nieces/nephews in such circumstances. I certainly have no issue doing it with mine. It takes a village, as they say.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

How exactly did your sister take offense at this? What did she do/say?

IMO you were completely out of line.

She gave me a look to kill. My father (who was outside at the time) took it up with me later as she's capable of threatening a far bigger tantrum than me... I don't mean the child btw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK I really don't understand why you're upset. You gave your niece a gift, her father thanked you but the child did not - she's five! As someone else said, it could be reasonably be expected from an older child or a teen.

And the catalyst for this thread was that the mother, your sister, glared at you?

I'm out...

No one said anything about a teen. A teen not saying thanks in such a situations would say a lot about them. She didn't just glare at me. She went and told my father about it who then basically said what you said. Now maybe I would've been upset about it if I had let the child get away with her bad manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Why were you not expecting the child to say thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So neither you, nor your sister can talk to one another and need others to validate your opinions. She picks your dad, you pick an Internet forum. What’s the point?

Btw if I were you I wouldn’t give the ungrateful brat another present, but unfortunately that means you’ll have to actually have a conversation with your family members and tell them what you think.

• Advertisement

Kids are very good at picking up on people who are a little bit "off".

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

No offence OP but that first example you gave says way more about you than the child or parents. A small child and her aunt are messing around playfully with some grass. No harm done and it sounds like all involved were enjoying themselves apart from you with a pus on your face sitting on the sidelines. Why should the parent or anyone else need to reprimand the child in that situation? She was playing with her aunt and from your own description did nothing wrong!

Did I mention she's a brat. Oh I think the poster below you has realised that!

I think she's a brat. But then again I don't have a lot of other kids her age to compare her to. But then again it won't be too long before she grows up and then they'll have a harder time making excuses for her bratty behaviour!

U 4got about 1 person. The bf. I felt sorry for him. He should b able 2 rely on his gf to correct the kid. He looked quite cross in fact. I've no doubt if it wer his own kid n that moment he wud've had no problem shouting at her 2 get her 2 stop.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'd always correct a kid for doing something wrong that I was involved in. If it doesn't involve me, then I wouldn't bother.

In the OPs original example, the appropriate action would have been the boyfriend to have told the kid to stop throwing the grass at him - if he was bothered by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

You seem to have family issues OP. You obviously have problems with your sister who you think is a bit of a bitch and maybe you're transferring them to your 5yo niece.

The kids a 5yo, let her parents raise her. You don't know maybe the father was going to try and explain to her later what she'd done wrong. Not all parenting is done in the moment, I still try to explain things to my 9yo if I see him do something wrong but it might be that night when I'm putting him to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I honestly don't think it's much to expect parents to tell their 5 year old child to say thank you for a present. Regardless of the parents, that's basic common courtesy, and children younger can do it so I would expect a properly raised 5 year old to say thank you. Don't worry OP, it's the parents who will have to deal with her in years to come, they'll know all about please and thank you then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Something along similar lines happened to me last summer.

My GF's aunt came to visit our new place when she was home from the States for a holiday. She brought her 11 year old daughter along with her, who is an anti-christ. Old enough to know right from wrong.

The daughter proceeded to mess around with a candle, somehow found a razor and attempted to start shaving me with it. Despite my telling her to stop (without getting angry because she isn't my family), she kept getting worse and worse, and egging on a younger cousin, who to be fair was realising she was over-stepping the mark.

What did her mother do? Sat back drinking tea at the kitchen table watching it unfold, and didn't once decide to intervene to cut it out. I ended up leaving the room and going for a walk.

I discovered after that the child in question has behavioural issues and is being assessed, but surely her mother could have at least told her to calm down once. Nope, discipline is an ancient concept sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

5 year olds should know to say thank you when they receive a present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Behavioural issues aside, it doesn't condone the behaviour. If a child with Behavioural issues is about to put their hand into an open fire the parent wouldn't let them naturally. One often has to have a different less confrontational approach addressing actions, but sitting there doing nothing is just sh1tty parenting.

Agreed, but in the event that the child didnt say it (excited, caught up in the moment, tired or whatever reason) I still think it was not the ops place to press the issue with the child at the time, presumably in front of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no excuse for bad manners. the parents should have said something to the kid. the parents are at fault as much as the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Won't someone please think of the new boyfriend who has yet to complete his assessment?

"Now to be fair my sister has only been dating him for a short time so she's still probably trying to figure out what sort of a man he is by testing how he'll react in situations like this."

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

If it was a random kid then of course not but encouraging a niece to say "Thanks" for a present is fine IMO.

Unfortunately lots of people don't believe in parenting/disciplining their kids anymore and believe they can do no wrong.

The grass incident seems harmless and if you weren't involved directly probably just makes you come across a bit of a grouch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement