Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Microsoft and Sony switching places again. Didn't Microsoft already try the whole - complete TV entertainment package thing at the start of the Xbox One era?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I think a streaming service is much better than XBoxes totally outdated approach of hooking up to cable TV, something that wasn't only stupid in america, made no sense anywhere else in the world where cable isn't a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Bored off my face playing halo infinite campaign. It's ok, going to give it a break. But it falls down in so many dumb ways. But I'm especially surprises this flag pole next gen game is average. I'm glad it was on Game Pass and I didn't shell out hard wodge of cash for it. Going to finish it at some stage as I'm nearly done but big meh !

The wiff of gung ho **** yeah america is ridiculous. The "acting" and stereotypes in halo infinite cut scenes is terribly bad at times for such an expensive budget. The wild eyed spanish pilot, the dumb ditzy computer female, the strong monosyllabic male lead. It's fun once or twice but then it really begins to grate.

Didn't Team America and Hot Shots part Deux take this piss out of this years ago.

Also another thing is that the alien canon fodder grunts taunt and sound like kids or say things kids might say. A really kinda inappropriate and wierd decision.

The game play is alright, the grapple hook is fun for a while. The vehicles seem hard to control. The weapons are ok. The music is good ! The open world stuff seems interesting but really it just gets in the way. I don't see anything next gen apart fro 60 FPS. Basically the game is a hodge podge.

Or I just don't like FPS games. I loved Control, had a ton more atmosphere, focus action, intrigue. But that's a third person shooter 😀 Also had a lot of fun the 2 of the recent Tomb Raider games.

For me the flag pole "next gen" Xbox Game (even though it's now on Switch) is still Ori and the Will of the Wisps 4k/60/120 fps. And that was made with a lot less cash than halo infinite. Has incredible beautiful animated cut scenes and incredible tight gameplay. For non exclusives, RDR2 in native 4K (hdr off) is a beautiful game. I still have to really start Psychonauts 2. Forza Horizon 5 is fun and looks lovely but does not hold my attention for long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seen a couple of YouTube videos, including Digital Foundry, chatting about Shadow Man as it's the latest NightDive remaster. Looks great and as usual the studio have really made an early 3D game shine. Was the game itself any good though? Kinda tempted but curious too, wondering how nostalgic the rose tinted goggles are...

• Advertisement

I tried it too, I don't think I'm the target audience, it seems to be aimed at young teenagers, which is fine. It's not for me.

My feeling is similar to those games aimed at even younger audiences, I just prefer more mature themes in games.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know Nightdive delayed the Blade Runner remaster in 2020 due to technical difficulties but i wonder if it will ever release, would love to play it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadowman isn't that great. It's fine but aged badly. It's like a grimdark Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm similar, not bored just yet but just confused about where the game is. It's reminding me of Anthem. Where it looks good, the gameplay is all good, but the missions are just the same thing.

Save a group of soldiers, take over a FOB, take out a target, find Spartan cores or armour. And that is kinda it.

I'll play for an hour and just feel like I've collected some icons off the map by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I have played nearly all of the Halo games, I have never really loved any of them aside from Reach and ODST, but enjoyed them just enough to try the one that came next. Based on the reviews I thought I would love Halo Infinite, and for a while I did. The small open world was a lot of fun and the missions in between were pretty good. It started to go downhill as soon as it entered the final phase where they lock you out of the open world without any notice, making all the weapons you unlocked inaccessible and completely redundant. After 3 hours of corridors interspersed with wave battles and annoying bosses my opinion of the game had completely changed.

Also whilst I am no expert on Halo lore, I still had a decent grasp of the story going into the game so I expected to be able to follow it. I hadn't a bleedin' clue wtf was going on - especially with all that Cortana/Weapon stuff. Also hadn't a clue who the bad guys were or what they were trying to do - at the end I didn't even know who the actual bad guys were. IMO it is quite clear that the game suffered from a difficult development cycle. It would be a 6 or 7/10 for me at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I finished It takes two over the weekend.

Now that is a great game. No two sections re-use mechanics so everything feels different enough and anything not fun doesn't outstay its welcome.

Funny, nice little story, enjoyable gameplay, all well executed and really well made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Halo might have the some of the worst, least interesting lore out there. The main story (which wasn’t even very interesting in the first place) ended like a half dozen games ago and 343 is still adding layers of nonsense. Infinite’s story is absolute gibberish. Up there with Kingdom Hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Going back to Shadow Man, it was less about the gameplay for me (which was only ever okay) and more about the creepy atmosphere. At the time there was nothing else like it on the N64, with it's dark themes etc, and that went a long way towards its appeal for me. It also has one of the worst/best Irish characters in video game history!

If we're talking about the same game I played on Sega Dreamcast twenty years ago, I recall his accent sounded like a real Dub?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is this it? i just googled it and only watched a few minutes in and that's an English accent not a Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, Jaunty - a snake's body with a human skull wearing a top hat for a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only good thing about that game was the snake. Weird that they're bringing it back, it was an awful game 20 years ago and I'd suspect it's aged like milk.

It's a beautiful piece of 90's edgelord preserved in amber. That makes Nightdive the John Hammond of edgelord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jaunty is just a Dub talking, no acting going on there!

• Advertisement

With that kind of exaggerated dub accent (that no one in Dublin actually has) he could be the new voice of Brennan's bread, or replace Brian Kerr on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have put 15-20 hours into Days Gone. It's a good game, but not great in any real sense. It does everything well, but nothing is really compelling enough to make me want to continue. Progress feels very slow for the effort you have to put in. At this point, I'm going to drop it.

Just have to flip a coin (or take educated advice from ye all) as to whether to go for The Forgotten City or Outer Wilds as the next game to play before the February Frenzy kicks off.

There's appatently enough lore for a 400 mill budget TV series set to launch the new paramount streaming service.

I think there are comics that probably have some worthwhile content. Then again, it wouldn't be beyond comprehension for a new streaming service with a new half billion flag ship show based on a video game to fail miserably.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I could never get into Halo, never found the story interesting, never enjoyed the multiplayer. Never understood the cult following, the guns felt pretty weak and hollow to me when playing multiplayer.

Only Halo game I ever actually managed to complete was Reach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't get me wrong - I generally like the Halo gameplay (although sort of lost interest in Infinite after a few hours in the open world - I will get back to it). I've grown to like it more over the years, as I think Bungie hit a good stride with the Halo 3 - Reach run that finally nailed the mix between the core loop and more robust level design. The multiplayer is great fun.

The story though has always been meh, and it's been extra shite since 343 took over. Having enough lore for a TV series is a very different prospect to having good lore!

Both Outer Wilds and Forgotten City are incredible! I'd suggest Outer Wilds as if it clicks with you, you will get so much from it. The Forgotten City is definitely an easier and shorter play if you're not feeling Outer Wilds though.

After seeing the Hitman 3 Year 2 content, I was looking at picking it up be remembered I only played one mission of Hitman 2 so looked to go back to that instead. Completely forgot it was added to added to PS Plus last year and now feel like I have a new game to play, pleasant surprise. Still jealous of the trilogy hitting gamepass though.

The problem with Halo's story is that it is 90% lore and 10% what is actually happening in the game you are currently playing. It spends so much time arsing around with Forerunners/Precursors/Prometheans/Rakatans/Ancients/Protheans/Cetra/Celestials/Eternals/Atlantians /Caretakers/Chozo/Leviathans/Sheika/Engineers/Elder Gods/Old Ones/Titans/Esu/Eridians/XelNaga or whatever the **** they are called, that the actual events are almost always the same rinse and repeat nonsense. Halo's idea of a plot revelation is to reveal another ancient race that have an even older grudge against the galaxy. It got stale a decade ago and its why Reach and ODST are the best ones.

• Advertisement

Halo's plot was fine. As a excuse to put aliens in front of your crosshairs it did the job perfectly but it was no more deep than space invaders but given an air of pretention with names like 'Truth and reconciliation'.

Then comes along Halo 2 with it's absolute mess of a story involving alien cults, forerunners, artifacts and Audrey II that can't sing and it's been on a nose dive ever since. They kind of got it back on track with Halo 3, it was still nonsense but at least there was a solid goal to work towards. And then Reach was just Rogue One before Rogue One and just as **** but again didn't negatively affect the game.

However Halo 3 effectively ended the storyline. There was no where left to go and 343 made a complete balls of it, laying on the lore thick and heavy and having this cross media thing while simultaneously having an inflated notion about how many people cared about Halo's Lore. What you end up with are the 343 games with stories that make no sense, expect you to have been following side material and leave the player with no stake in actually seeing the game to its conclusion. It took me well over a year to Finish Halo 5 because I just didn't care.

Advertisement