Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I still can't believe they announced case numbers on Christmas day. What did that achieve exactly?

Arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for something to complain about there..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But as I've pointed out, the "data" isn't collected to determine prevalence, that's a secondary use.

At low levels of prevalence, wastewater testing is good. We do that.

At high levels, random PCR testing is good. We don't do that, as far as I know.

The main concern with COVID is currently impact on healthcare settings, where our PCR testing capacity is concentrated. So we have good data there.

Collecting a subset of positive self administered antigen test results is not epidemiologically useful. It's data snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I don’t need to design a referendum question, the referendum shouldn’t come until there’s a general election. I don’t think the current Government have a mandate for their policies beyond what they termed was the ‘public health emergency’.

There is no mandate for the current Certs domestically based on such a mild strain as Omicron that nearly all of the population have or will have caught shortly. Some may not have been able to get pcrs or recovery certs or boosted as they caught the virus recently. NPHET’s solution to this is ‘get the booster in 3 months’ - where is the science for that. They’ve recovered from the virus the booster (for the original strain) doesn’t give full protection from. In many cases the virus is far milder than the effects many had from the booster.

The public health emergency is all but over for now. People are buying themselves a few months of societal participation with a booster or recovery cert, that is a very big change to how the country is run. I would follow the election & any party supporting Covid Certs for societal participation would not get my vote, there is no science behind them. If that means I vote for different parties than usual, that’s what I’ll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It looks more like an effort to make it useful and while it might give more insight about infections in LEAs in such very small numbers it's not really going to say much more than is already known. The likes of GP referrals, PCR test positivity and hospital numbers in particular is the real data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They haven't been updating the lea data, it also says confirmed cases in the app, i presume that they need to reword that if including antigen results.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Here we have the first whispers of disappointment from the anti-everything crew as we near the end of this. Having to drag up old outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why the refusal to compare Sweden to the closest countries demographically, geographically, ecologically and culturally?

The climate in a country and the way people live their lives has a massive influence on outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Let’s be honest publishing daily case numbers is nothing but covid theatre at this stage.

Serves no purpose whatsoever

• Advertisement

That day will come soon enough but there would be more questions if they weren't. The HPSC would still publish them. Theatre or not there does seem to be an understanding now in the public that it is all about hospitals but it's no harm to see the cases anyway, especially the positivity declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Interesting story in the business post! Covid to become like the common cold

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I suspect that that's the purpose.

That or the never ending search for a pat on the head from someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

And there it is. 965 in hospital, compared to 984 last Sunday. Extraordinary to think that with probably more than 1 million (maybe even 2 million) infections in this wave, we peaked with barely over 1000 in hospital, one third of whom did not require treatment for Covid. If we went completely back to normal tomorrow, with zero restrictions, we'd still be grand. With the protection of vaccines, Omicron just isn't a threat.

965 in hospitals, up 25 - 117 new admission and only 57 discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It would be great to see some leadership in speeding up the removal of restrictions which are obviously pointless at this stage,it would probably be of benefit if more people caught this mild version while it is common here rather than waiting for a different variant to circle around in a years time without the immune system advantage of having previously had Covid, i won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sadly leadership has been completely absent for quite a while and I dont think there is any chance of it being resurrected now.

Lot of places now ignoring these nonsense restrictions.

The "process" requires that NPHET meet and deliberate, letter leaks and then likely we have another 5 days to an official government position. Coordination has never been a key part of it! Even so, any sectors benefitting from it need a little bit of notice to change things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The one thing I would say is that NPHET base their decisions on their models. With all we know about Omicron now, it would be impossible to come up with a model scenario which shows anything other than benign scenarios. I think Thursday's meeting could be very positive. Let's see. I'm an optimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Some posters are mentioning that us anti restrictions people are clutching at straws and to stop moaning about the restrictions that are in place and that they are not that bad.

I will continue to argue, discuss and debate with people that the restrictions must end and must end immediately. Until this happens and our freedoms are restored, then I will continue with my objection to this Ireland we currently are living in.

The restrictions don’t work. The masks don’t work. The vaccines don’t stop the spread (see our case numbers since Omicron started). Covid certs don’t work. Announcing case numbers day in and day out scaring people is wrong.

If you think that wearing a mask is keeping you safe, please keep doing it. Wear it in the place you work or on the bus. I won’t be.

Every second that these restrictions remain in place, we are unnecessarily adding to our massive debt pile that will cost us for the rest of our lives. Covid is not an emergency or even a problem anymore. We have the data, the science, the experience. It’s time to move on.

We have real crises right in front of our eyes to deal with such as poverty, violence on our streets and in homes, housing and the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The climate in a country and the way people live their lives has a massive influence on outcomes

Holy **** demographics eh

So Europe's youngest nation, with a sparse population density, would have had a natural defense to Covid,a disease that effects the elderly and transmits via close contact.

But, the same nation, decided to follow a policy of the severest,longest lockdowns, and subsequently added more debt to its public finances than other nation in the region

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It not that you are complaining about current restrictions, it's that since it looks like they are coming to an end, you are clutching at straws for something to give out about, your post is a perfect example 🤣 thanks for that! Not sure how you didn't realise it!

Im not pro restrictions either but it's funny to see your stand point shifting when you haven't anything to get worked up about.

Of course your rebuttal will mention 'freedoms', 'oh it's funny is it, how funny is....etc.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Havn't posted here in a good while ...just popping in to say to hi...

Hope you all have a happier and healthier 2022.

Speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Is the final sentence a list of your next projects to get angry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Im not pro restrictions either

Odd that, considering your posting history

You've missed the whole point of the post you've quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Can you read properly?

How did you manage to get that the poster is not complaining about current restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I can read perfectly, thanks! Can you? Or is it just that you agree with the poster and suits your own view point?

Yes, they speak of current restrictions but it's doused in what they are going to give out about next as they won't have anything to get angry about re current restrictions and the coming to an end, if you can't see that I can't help you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When restrictions do come to an end then it'll shift to endless dull whining about how much it cost, "the psychological damage that's been done will last for generations", blaming virtually every ill of society for the next decade on COVID. In six months time they'll see someone wearing a mask in public and use that for a rant about Ireland and sheep and mental damage.

The anti-everything crew see the end of this coming and are upset that they're losing the opportunity to say, "I told you so". They were expecting restrictions to be permanent, or for a revolution to take place. As neither are set to happen they need to start sandbagging now so they can move onto the next thing without having to admit they were wrong.

And on the other end of the spectrum you have the Helen Lovejoys who appear to be slowly losing grip on reality. Posting articles a year old about the seriousness of COVID, banging on about long COVID, claiming that relaxing restrictions is tantamount is a human rights violation or unconstitutional.

I even saw one nutjob say, "2022 is the year Governments will try to convince you that COVID doesn't exist".

It seems that when people are off the deep end, they just pick a side and then doggedly stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

The only thing I can say with certainty is that Covid has been very divisive almost polarising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement