Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying internally as a recently hired Contractor

Options
  • 15-01-2022 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Recently started working for a large company soon to be expanding exponentially over the next few years. My team and boss (virtual) seem very nice but there are opportunities for better roles starting to come on stream that I'm very interested in applying to. I'm ambitious and I would like to get better employment terms (Permanency).

A little conflicted on whether this will be viewed negatively by my boss given that I'm a recent hire.

I work in HR/Staffing so from my own perspective I wouldn't see it as a negative if I was a hiring manager but interested to know other opinions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The first thing to established is are you disadvantaged as contractor in your application. If you are supplied through an agency, then the employer may be required to pay the agency an additional fee for taking you on. Likewise, if there are any non compete or similar clauses in your contract, that although non enforceable, the employer may not want to challenge as it could impact their business relationship with the agent etc....

Assuming there are no such issues, then I don't see any problems in your application. It's worth keeping in mind that the criteria for taking on an employee are often different to a contractor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Thanks for the response. Yes, I only have my own contract and it's an agency FTC, paid weekly. I'll try to find out what I can before making a decision.

I'm pretty sure I'll need to go through other processes if my application is successful alright.

Cheers.

Advertisement