Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Lotto wheels. What's to buy?

Options
  • 16-01-2022 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭

No, I didn't win. Though I did buy a ticket for the first time ever in my life yesterday! (sucker).

Anyway. A mate of mine is building bit of a lotto bike without having to quite pay lotto money. He's got a top frame, he's secured an ultegra 12 speed disc groupset. So the last major piece of the jigsaw is the wheelset and that's where we enter the minefield. I know nothing about disc. wheels. I don't even know how to spell disc/disk wheels... And there seems to be a lot of tubeless turbulence and tyre and rim compatibility and sensitivity. Hookless this and that etc.

My opinion of it was - fcuk it, a milestone build, you want to push the boat out and wheels make a huge difference to over all build lightness and performance. And to avoid the minefield maybe get the latest and greatest to maximise your future-proofing.

So. Any rich boards cyclists on here that can recommend a proper fcuk-off wheelset from the ethereal €2000+ heights of the wheel market? And ideally tyres that work with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not quite in that price range but I'm considering a dream build next Christmas and I'm looking at Zipp 303 S. To me they look to have a great balance of weight (1540g), width, aero (45mm), reliability (including lifetime warranty for the first owner) and value. RRP is 1100 but can be found closer to 900. I just need to decide if it would replace the good road bike or the gravel bike.

I also think the Campagnolo Bora WTO 45's look great but for most people's use I can't see the need for anything those Zipp's don't provide

What frame is he building up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was looking at the zipps alright but they seem to be gone hookless line and sinker :). All in on the new rim design which, for the moment anyway it seems, limits your tyre choices, both in terms of manufacturer and size. E.g. the new cont gp5000 TR's are zipp hookless compatible but only in size 28 and up, and also limited in terms of tyre pressures it seems. I've never ridden anything like that and it's all a whole new world to me. Hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Why not go for the DT Swiss as used by Lotto ? on line for about €700= € 800 per wheel and cheaper if you search, sorry cant do link .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lottery wheels, as opposed to team lotto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Ah sorry should have read original post carefully , then just pick what INEOS use if money not a problem and you get free marginal gains 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ineos sneakily change the wheels on the mountain stages to another brand so wouldn't necessarily say they have the best

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I got a set of Campy Bora ones a few years ago when getting my dream bike and they are amazing - the rolling resistance (lack of) is incredible and when out the bike just glides around. - three yeas later and no issues with the wheels/hubs. A friend recently picked up the WTO wheels and they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Another vote for bora ones. Have a set too, not set up tubeless, run clincher gp5000's on them.

If it's a true no budget build I'd probably go for enve wheels. Plenty of different depths and set ups available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Wider rims/tyres need lower pressures giving you lower rolling resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

My fave wheels, and I've had 3 different sets on different bikes, are the Fulcrum Racing Zero carbons, though never in disc format (yet).

I've always hankered after the Bora Ones, especially on my campy builds, but accessibility and funds never aligned! One day though 😍

I do like the look of Enve wheels, especially with Chris King hubs!

The big issue I have with lotto build aspirations on a paper round reality is that I'm scared s***less in case I damage the bike, so ride with care and therefore negating any of the benefits of paying for a 'dream build'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm on Boras aswell on my good bike. Fantastic wheels, true as the day they were bought.

@Trekker09 I was the same for a while but sooner or later you have to just go out and enjoy riding it. I didn't buy it just to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I know, I've been saying that to myself for years.

Advertisement