Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Casey was not great against Ulster. He was good, it probably just looked great in contrast to his Connacht game.

Sure why don’t we just play Ed Byrne instead of Healy and Porter. They’re all internationals. Why stick with Healy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But wouldn't that make it a "pisstake" competition? They played a load of young guys last week and that's exactly what you called it!

And I've said I largely agree with you with regards the front-row, but I'm not in the slightest bit surprised they went for an experienced front-row away in France in Europe.

And even then, Josh Wycherley is a guy who started vs Clermont in Europe last season. I'd have expected him to start further games but for injury.

(and stephen, I believe, is a Leinster fan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Truth be told Martin is better off out of Leinster - given Leinster's track record of failing to develop 12s. Look at Tom Daly at Connacht; he's thriving and on the verge of international selection. Rather than bring through Daly Leinster were more interested in trying to develop into a 12 an NIQ wing who wasn't going to be around long-term.

Let’s just ignore the facts as a vehicle to throw in your xenophobic bias hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

They really dont give a damn about Europe do they. Maybe its time to limit the number of French teams that qualify for Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Had a lot of hope for Tom Daly in a Leinster shirt. Powerful athlete with good hands and decent place kicking game. I think Cullen and Lancaster rated him too. He was getting gametime.

Then he missed about two full years through injury and slipped down the pecking order. It's a shame it happened, but he just couldn't force his way back into contention. I'm glad he's doing well at Connacht. It's unfortunate for us that one of his replacements, Conor O'Brien, has fallen down the same injury hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No HB? I don't know what's going on with him. It's been a bad year for him at this stage. He shouldn't make the international team at this point for the 6nations. He's no gametime to be judged on.

Ruddock as a lock replacement? Jack Dunne also has had a bad enough run this year. I doubt he'll be re signed, especially if they're looking overseas for a lock.

Don't like JOB on the wing, but Leinster should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

No the IRFU are paying the wages for people like Sexton but Connacht have to pay Carty. Thats 1 million in a difference for 1 position. The IRFU pay the salary for Henshaw a free lions player for Leinster and he was developed by Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Because JVG just continue's to play with what he inherited from Erasmus. That is quite obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah Interesting decision with no recognised lock replacement especially with Ryan's recent injury profile.

I thought Josh Murphy might get a run off the bench if Baird was out.

With fardy gone and Toner potentially winding down I wonder could Leinster trade a player before next season with one of the other proviences in order to sign a young lock. Win win for all parties if players were interested In it.. say for example munster need a squad front row player. Could say Peter dooley/Ed Byrne move one direction and the likes of an eoin o Connor move the opposite way..

Just using those names as potential examples could easily be a back row player or a hooker for a lock

• Advertisement

Or they could just pick the players in the pipeline - Jack Dunne, Charlie Ryan, Brian Deeny, Joe McCarthy, maybe Alexis Soroka. Injury permitting, of course.

Leinster need to try to reverse this trend of second rows who were deemed not good enough slash didn't get enough of an opportunity leaving and looking good elsewhere. Beirne, Thornbury, Regan, Izuchukwu, Dowling...

Couldn't you argue that Leinster do the same as Munster in positions where they don't have players who make the first-choice international XXIII, i.e. are they selecting the most experienced campaigners ahead of available options who look as if they might have a higher ceiling?

#4. Ross Molony - Possibly. They select him ahead of Baird to start. Does Dunne have more international potential than Molony due to his physical attributes? Probably.

#10. Ross Byrne - Yes. Of course, Harry Byrne might be unavailable, but they have plumped for Ross, generally speaking, up to now.

#11. Jimmy O'Brien

#12. Ciarán Frawley - No.

#14. Jordan Larmour - Arguably? Does Tommy O'Brien have a higher ceiling as a right winger? Larmour undoubtedly has quality.

#18. Michael Ala'alatoa

#19. Rhys Ruddock - Surely there's someone available who has a higher ceiling as a lock than Ruddock.

#20. Max Deegan - Can't really quibble with his selection.

#21. Luke McGrath - No. There's no-one coming up behind McGrath at the moment who looks as if he'll get to a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I struggle to see any argument that Leinster should copy Munster when it comes to player development

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To follow on from the post of Mr Harrington's tweet earlier. Its impossible to argue with those replies to him.

This is what happens if you roll over to incompetent and corrupt bureaucracy. And they are corrupt. If you're not French or English, you're the patsy.

We'll probably get two wins, this Sunday and next week, probably with bonus points too. But we'll still be up against it in the knockouts. Away fixtures all the way. Against some big dogs. Perhaps a noble exit in the last four eh?

And it needn't be so. It is so because of the EPCR have pulled their procedures out of their arse and then rolled the dice on which ones to apply and when. And when even to apply no agreed procedures at all.

Anyone feeling magnanimous about it all still? Anyone still think it was just our luck, rules are rules and all that?

Because if you do, and you think of yourself as a Leinster fan, you should probably find a new team to support, because you clearly don't give an actual boll0x about this one.

Straw that broke the camels back. Goodbye.

From Billy Big Balls to a patsy in the space of a couple of days. Rough week for you, Larbre.

Rough week for the tournament.

That's what concerns me the most.

I see the tickets threads is shut and I don't know what the protocol is, but I have two Terrace tickets for Bath V Leinster at The Rec next weekend that I can no longer use, if anyone wants to take them for face value, send me a DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Ryan out with minor muscles injury. Murphy in and Ringrose captain

That’s a big loss for us. Murphy and Moloney not exactly the strongest starting partnership we could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

i think I’d throw Doyle off the stand if I saw him!

he try’s and all...he’s just insufferable

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Why not Jack Dunne?

2nd row is very very light

I'm pretty sure Josh Murphy has been converted into the 2nd row this season.

Not a bad option. Interesting that baird and hendhaw are holding tackle bags.. might be available for next week.

Yeah he has moved to 2nd row full time, still he isnt a TH lock and neither is Molony...

Yeah I'm not sure what the Jack Dunne situation is.. maybe going off to try play for the barbarians and missing a few weeks training is counting against him..

turns out Jack Dunne is apparently leaving for Exeter..

https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/status/1482696637520793602?s=20

Baird not trusted at all? Thought I saw him training before the match just there

• Advertisement

Interesting but probably a sign of things to come.

Advertisement