Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Masks and certs rules will lose their significance once people start not following them. It is happening already and will continue especially with the current trajectory. Omicron the tipping point. No way to police them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As I said a couple of pages back, booster take up looks like it has begun to plateau (infection rates have played a part too).

Covid passes are due to expire over the next couple of months, so they'll be driving with agenda of with your booster comes your freedom.

In the summer the over 60s will be due booster 2. So they use that as a wait until the vulnerable get their booster, then we'll be good. But of course we'll have to protect the school return too. Can't go wild and have cases rise before the school return. But of course, a load of people got Booster 1 in December. They need to have booster 2 by September. School kids will need their boosters before they go back to school again.

Everything put back until October........

What's that? Cases are going up again? Didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Personally from being out and about I'm not seeing less people using masks, maybe other areas are different but from being around dublin and the suburbs I can't say I've seen less people using them.

Certs is hit and miss, has been from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH that Leo answer is a waffly non-answer. We really should see changes in February and the St Paddy's Day Festival is back on, all pointing to a better year anyway. If cases and hospital cases fall quickly during February and with antivirals coming soon there's little to no justification to retain anything beyond March so he'll probably get to be right about that promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Said the same yesterday the masks are prevailing as strong as ever. I personally hate them they are uncomfortable unsightly and I’m not even sure if they are useful especially as they are probably being used incorrectly by most of us. I would love the see them become Optional but I just think we’re a long way away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Quags

I feel there has being a massive change in the public since the Covid reports last week, people have had enough of the lies and bullshit restrictions placed on their lives through the mismanagement of the HSE. We know for the last few years at winter the hospitals are under pressure but we never slowed down society, yes we may have had higher body count in through Covid but HSE/NPHET have had data stating who came IN with Covid and who came in with other injuries and were asymptomatic so got added to numbers and then pushed the fear factor out.

Certain people will still back Gov/NPHET and some will have the fear of going out to crowds etc due to the relentless push of Covid on the TV/Radio, Newspaper but majority dont care, just need to look at the crowds on Grafton St after 8pm last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Whatever it being a waffly non answer, I caught a bit of it driving home and the interview was a complete car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Derkaiser93

That may happen and I certainly hope not. But since you linked that varadkar tweet and are basing your conclusion on that ,

He says over next 2 months. That's not the summer.

And nearly everything is already open unlike this time last year. Just a few restrictions that could easily be phased over the space of a month or two.

Having said that I'd agree with most on here that close to all if not all restrictions gone in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Just saw the news on Israel where up to 40% of population is likely to be infected with Omicron. That is in a country with exceptionally high vaccination rates and 4 booster programme well under way.

will this herd ever stop running and stop and think for a moment? We are talking about a sore throat that kills 2 out of population of 100,000 people. Are people really this brainless? I can’t believe it tbh.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeh they all have those on occasions. I reckon any political pronouncements in advance of the NPHET meeting next week are best ignored. At best they are well-meaning and at worst completely made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Remember,we already know that Minister Donnelly is VERY keen (on the recommendations from his Senior Civil Servants) to have sections of the EMERGENCY Provisions of the 1947 Health Acts made an integral part of the General Legislation.

The senior Civil Servants,apparently feel this will make it easier for "Us" to deal with future Emergency Situations without having to go to all the bother of convening Dáil Éireann etc.

These guys,and I include mambers of NPHET here,are making a power-grab here,which if allowed will effectively sideline politicians and inter-alia,US,the general populace.

This is VERY dangerous stuff and underlines why we need an effective 4th estate media to watch over those who now find they quite like the Powers granted to them by Sec31A of the Health Act 1947.

The Pandemic,for what it was, ended in mid 2020,all else has been Social & Political experimentation......just wait and see what transpires in the next 3 months.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

No talk on mask in primary going again…….what was the initial date given again? End of February I think ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep and how its to do with covid is beyond me ?

Do you have a link to the Drosten interview ? Most of the coverage appears to be as doomy n gloomy as our own ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Maybe it was more a case of wishful thinking about masks but i see that more as an inconvenience. I am more hopeful about Cert checking when businesses are up and running with the Omicron good news spreading in people's heads. Those possible new rules about table service etc wont be followed after a while. Again, when that fear and anxiety lessens in the general public resulting in less compliance the authorities will need a pretty big stick to uphold the rules. Police will be reluctant and if they wield it then the resentment will grow even more. I feel the game is up. All this talk about the great things in summer will happen much earlier. I see the end of february as more likely especially when less restrictions do not halt hospitalisations from going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Most of the coverage is nearly as doomy yes but I have the link. The Tagesspiegel is usually at the fore-front of the doom merchants but its an interview with them. https://www.tagesspiegel.de/wissen/christian-drosten-im-interview-omikron-ist-eine-chance/27978808.html

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Like what do they really think a 12 curfew and no bar service is actually going to achieve? You’d swear they are on the wind up on a national level.

”Then we told them they couldn’t go to the bar and had to put on a mask when they go to the toilet!” *All of NPHET laugh maniacally*

I dont think we can and will pursue with more complicated regulations. Once the hospital situation is deemed grand I'd say we'll open up with little if any terms and conditions. And you would have to too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Had my first refusal of service today, in a fast food place. Popped in for a coffee and sambo and presented my cert on my phone. The young girl then asked for photo ID which I unusually didn't have as I'd left my wallet at home because I'd been walking across fields and didnt want to lose it. Also the first time I've ever been asked for ID.

Didn't want to sit outside as it was raining. But at least the world is safer as a result of me not getting lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tbh, I just feel the government have got a real view into the level or control they can have on the population. I don't see a return to normal unless there are mass protests. For me, I want vaxx passes gone. My jab one expires and my recovery cert will do til May I think, but I want them gone.

Without a doubt. Everything has to go. Everything. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

If this statistic alone does not get some in-depth media coverage then the plot has really thickened !

Pre-existing conditions by type in 2020

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Somebody needs to tweet Leo V with these stats,and ask when he's going to ask our crew to deliver the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I have found that people are now so 'over covid' both physically and mentally, that they no longer want to talk about it..nor or are they 'angry' at the restrictions..they are compliant for a simple life... to me, this is more dangerous, people have their passes, they comply along like its no big deal... a huge chunk of the population do not know or care when and if the emergency legislation gets renewed..they have no interest any more and they are burnt out.. to me this so much more dangerous as the government can keep promising and drip feeding us good news.. and people will react in the way to just roll with it as all will be OK by the summer or what's another few weeks.. etc etc.

I feel if by the end of the month if this shitshow continues...we are in trouble...every winter we will have this shite..and it's not a future or a 'normal' I want for me or my children..

I was so full of hope til I saw the tweets of no certainty of life getting back to normal..its disheartening

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I don't know if people are getting burnt out yet. I know people who are getting more entrenched, delighted at the possibility of getting N95 / FFP2 masks, complaining about rule breakers as much as I complain about the treatment of rule breakers.

I don't see many people apart from myself breaking or bending the rules, people are still bagging up.

I know people who can't get any more jabbed, they have their passes, or are recently recovered, yet gush on about eating outdoors... "oh, the heated sets were so comfortable"... afraid of their shite to cross the threshold of a half empty pub, restaurant or cinema.

I really think that even if Tony said tomorrow that the pandemic was over, they'd still be putting their fear on everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I should also have said that being compliant for a simple life is also a big thing, I complain like fück about the restrictions, passes and everything that goes with them, yet I still get jabbed so I can travel and get away from here.

However, I'm now one of the sheep, same as everyone else. We all have our reasons for getting the pass, but it doesn't matter to Tony why you got the pass, once you have the pass.

All very depressing really. At least the doors are still open for us to get the fück away from here... How gracious of them.

Advertisement