Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home and Contents Insurance 2022

• 16-01-2022 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

So we received a very advance notice of our Home Insurance premium for this year during the week.

Checking against last year the premium has shot up by a whopping 18 percent. No claims ever, nothing has changed since last year.

Needless to say we will be checking the reason with our current supplier and will be getting quotes left right and centre.

Incidentally the same details with the same supplier on their website comes in 1 EURO more than last year.

Maybe they want everyone to go online but I can imagine a lot of people just pay these annual bills without querying.

What is yours compared to last year as a percentage? Up or Down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

I keep renewing with Zurich every year for the past 3 years as they keep matching/undercutting the others quotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

It actually went down by about €7 this year for some reason, but I'll need to pay more anyway because of

getting work done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I regularly flip between Axa and FBD. Being a 'new' customer each time gets me a quote that's less than my renewal.

OP said 'nothing has changed since last year'. In fact a lot has changed, labour and materials costs in the building trade have gone up across the board.

This is from last October ....

Surveyors in Ireland figures indicate prices nationally jumped by 7% in first half of 2021

What I meant was nothing has changed with regards to us personally.

Anyhow, I spoke to Zurich rep today who told me that they had increased rebuilding costs(5%) but that most of the increase was down to their changing their pricing structure..ie..they increased prices themselves.

Most discount he could offer was still 11 percent higher than last year.

Exact same cover details with 3 other providers vary from 50 to 100 euro less than renewal quote

Exact same cover details online with Zurich are 90 euro less than renewal quote

I reckon fact we are with them for 4 years they reckon we are not switchers.

How wrong they are.

Moral of the story....IT PAYS TO CHECK AROUND

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I shop around every year and have never got a quote from my existing insurer that is close to the best online quote. So I end up moving because it makes financial sense.

Same cover, same excess, my experience says it's always cheaper to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm in the same boat. Ours is up 18% with Aviva.

Can't even see whats on the renewal quote as their online system is a joke if you have more than one insurance with them (can't stack multiple insurances on one email address even though I can buy them like that)

Aviva's minimum car insurance was 280 last year- up to 310 this year too.

transitory inflation my arse

Did the whole call around thing eventually. As mentioned above, our cover (sun insured for) has gone up by 12%

Through AA for the last number of years and they’ve been really good always beating whatever was offered elsewhere.

this year, the renewal after a little haggling was € 15 less expensive than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Due to rising construction costs you need to be sure your rebuild cost is correctly covered not the market valu.

Surveyors Ireland has a rough calculator on their website.

Yea, we took all that into consideration (plus a little)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Zurich are an excellent company for house insurance. I am a claim handler who deals with every insurer out there. Individual experience is often down to unrealistic expectations of what house insurance actually covers.

With the greatest of respect of course you would say that.

We have no unrealistic expectations, exact same cover, exact same property yet a lot more expensive on paper quote but online can get exact same a lot cheaper.

The insurance companies rely on people just paying once they receive the paper quote thereby happy days for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 KrazyKMM

Do they do coverage for renters or only homeowners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I was responding to a post, since deleted, by a newly registered poster who stated that Zurich were very bad at paying claims. My post looks out of context as a result

Advertisement