Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

When you hear the criminal history of some murderers it's like they're let out again and again until they actually murder somebody.

Considering how dangerous he clearly was it would be hard for the family not to feel let down by the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Or worse, leaves it laying in a sink full of water.....bugs me severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My colleague who works with sight impaired ppl txt me this (she is in the north midlands)

OMG rob* almost got run over(he didn't have his guide dog with him) on our run today, he was trying to walk me across x(a busy road with decent visibility) to make sure I could get into my car safely after our jog.

Such antidote to some of the #notallmen types on sm today, but what have we become that a blind man feels he has to protect a woman on a busy road in daylight like this?

Post edited by Bredabe on

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wanted to find out how birds know who to be the lead when flying in formation. Got two answers

1) The birds take turns

2) The fastest bird leads

My third alternate is to ask one the next time I see them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Probably going to annoy a few here with this but it's very annoying the level of reporting on the case, no need to keep interviewing people who knew her and it's insulting to other families who have lost family members to violence. Just seems some lives are more important than others, nothing about that poor man who was shot the other day outside his own home. Imagine how his family must feel seeing all the resources the case is getting and the vigils while nothing for her husband. Where was all the sympathy for the elderly man who was beaten and died in Clare, the Brazilian woman in Dublin and the lady who got her throat slashed.

Post edited by spookwoman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I heard a woman on a radio station this morning saying that "a woman will feel threatened if a man is walking behind her so he should apologise to her for his behaviour"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The server in the coffee shop obviously thinks it's fitting to inflict her appalling taste in music on the rest of us. Bland EDM and autotuned mumble rap is blaring out of the speakers at present 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Had the news on in the background this am, what ever station is on had a computer generated voice reading reports!

Beyond the lack of humanity in the voice, it says a lot about the cost benefit analysis of news on that station.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bellarom coffee beans in the local Lidl were 7.99 for 1kg for a good while.. was in the other day and same product was only available in 250g bags at 2.49 each. 9.96 per kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Steve McManaman’s constant state of surprise when commentating on a match is very, very annoying.

On the Dublin Belfast enterprise train at the moment.

The amount of entitled shots who believe they donot to have to wear a mask.

One or two Walking around too like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Wait till Jonno from Dalton Park, Mullingar gets kicked to death over a drugs debt. No vigils then.

Drug dealing was never mentioned regarding the murders of Fabiole Camara De Campos, Urantsetseg Tserendorj, John O'Neill and Michael Tormey. If you know something about their murders that involved drug dealing please pass that info onto the police. That type if information is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think it’s time we had a vigil for all the butthurt anger men who feel, personally, attacked when simply asked to reflect on their own behaviour, and that of their friends, and see if they can help women everywhere feel a little safer.

Although, in this case I don’t think they need to worry about the friends part.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a woman doesn’t want me walking behind her, she can always stop walking in front of me. 🙂

TA the 'greater/bigger than' icon (>) ... Anytime I want to use it on here nowadays, it seems that it performs some sort of quoting type function 😊Similar problem with the 'at' (@) sign, but at least that one can be overridden by deleting/backspacing... cannae really use the (>) sign at all now.. Don't appear to have same problem with < icon... Baffling so tis 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That not the point. The argument is that in today's society should someone feel uncomfortable doing something a mundane as walking on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, we’ll all have to end up apologising for existing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sat through a whole episode of MOTD that was on record , only to hear Lineker say ' reports are Ole Gunnar Solkjar ( or whatever) is getting sacked.

Have to delete those old recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My trivial annoyance (sparked by serious issue) is that many people seem either willing to be manipulated by the media, or completely unaware that they are being manipulated by the media.

Just over a week ago Tommy Tiernan had former state pathologist Marie Cassidy on his show (which was an excellent show all round by the way)

If I remember correctly as the conversation progressed Tommy assumed it was normally a woman's body Marie would find. And he asked for the breakdown how much more women are found murdered than men.

@7:02 = 7:40 (direct quote from the show)

TT - "Was it mainly women that you found?"

MC - "Oh Good Lord no!"

MC - "Here in Ireland is only dealing with the suspicious deaths, the homicides. And the majority of those are going to be males. And young men. Young men who go out and end up in a fight. Get hit in the head. Or get stabbed. And you have your gangland shootings, or whatever."

MC: "Females are a very very small proportion of deaths, in those circumstances"

Marie Cassidy immediately was incredulous that Tommy believed this. As she said that men on men violence was by far the biggest percentage of murders in the country - etc. My thought at the time was I wonder why Tommy believed that - media?

Fast forward just over a week and the tragic events in Offaly. And it confirmed my belief. When something is rare or resonates with people it can be latched on by the media and those with agendas. It sells.

A climate of fear is then created and it almost creates a media frenzy and it almost becomes its own cycle. I just wish the media have a bit more responsibility in their reporting. Or at least those consuming the media are more aware at how they could be being manipulated by the media. Sensationalism helps no one.

My own elderly mother was going on about lighting a candle following the tragic murder in Offaly. She never wanted to do that for any other death of a person she did not personally know as reported in the media. She watches, listens, reads the main traditional media sources continually so when such a frenzy starts - she becomes completely immersed in it. The last time I can remember my mother been swept along by a media frenzy - caused by single death of a person - not personally known to her. Was when Princess Diana died.

It has again reminded me how powerful the media can be when sending a message to the masses. And how when a media frenzy starts statistics and all logic go out the window. And those with agendas can piggyback on this. It is part of the human condition I suppose and it must be much worse for those who consume media through social media?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

But my friends don’t in fact do that banter. All married men. So it would be pointless. Also I’ve personally never catcalled.

have you, or do you know people who do? If so then maybe fix your friends. I’ve a suspicion that the kind of people who are ok with this may well be suspect themselves

What will happen if this kind of thing gets to be common is that only some parts of society will do the lecturing to each other will not be the ones attacking women in public - although of course domestic violence is common across all classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My TA is people continually dragging this awful case into the thread. It's not the time or place, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People still posting on christmas threads in the middle of january.

People who use #Bekind . Seen a few on social media that use it and put it in their bio's and they are probably far worse than the ones they call trolls.

another is people who think they know everything when they don't and when they f*ck up they find something else to blame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

MOD NOTE:

This is After Hours and also a Trivial Annoyance thread.. It's gone too serious the last few posts, call it quits and get back on topic.

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

POSTS DELETED, AS YOU WERE

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah feck it, I missed the drama.. AGAIN!!!

Very annoying.😡😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People dressing their dogs, I don't mind a reflector jacket but seen a woman Friday walking a tiny dog and it was wearing an adidas hoodie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement