Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Exactly it's his personality people don't like that's the issue. If Davy was quite and shy he would get more credit. His CV is exceptional, winning All Ireland with Clare only their 4th ever, winning Munster and getting Waterford to their first All Ireland final since early 60s and turning Wexford into All Ireland contenders for first time since 90s, he's a brillant manager. He's only manager ever to win hurling Munster and leinster title with two different teams. It's not easy to go to different counties and have sucess. Look at Babs keating in Offaly or Ger loughnane with Galway or Cyril Farrell in Wexford. Young players respond to Davy, willing to go through brick walls for him.

You don't like his personality fair enough but Davy will go down as one of the great managers. He had sucesss with teams who have struggled in the past eg Clare only 4 All Irelands, Waterford no final since early 60s, Wexford no leinsters since mid 00s.

Jim Galvin took over the All Ireland champions with tens of millions of euros more than any other team in an amateur sport. How would Galvin do if he took over Clare footballers or Longford or laois footballer could he turn them into dominate force in leinster football and All Ireland winners in few years. That's what Kevin Heffernan did that's what Sean Boylan did that's what Mick Dwyer nearly did with kildare. Heffernan took Dublin from bottom of div 2 and no leinster titles in 11 years to All Ireland champions with no money and no underage sucess. Boylan took Meath from div 4 with no leinsters in 19 years to with no money no underage sucess to two in a row All Ireland champions. If Galvin turned Wexford footballers or laois into dominate force in leinster in next 4 to 5 years and All Ireland champions than he would have done what Heffernan or Boylan did. Galvin took over All Ireland champions with 6 underage All Ireland teams to pick from and 24 million euros more than any other team in amateur sport. How would he do if he had team .with no finical advantage. Davy didn't at Clare Wexford or Waterford. If you think team has 24 million invested into it more than any team that is not advantage you are denying reality. We know if you invest millions millions 24 million more than your any other team its advantage. Other advantages the games at home and population Advantage. If Galvin takes over Westmeath or Wexford footballer or even Monaghan or Roscommon turns them into All Ireland winners, thats impressive. Can he do it with no millions no underage have sucess than take team from rock bottom to All Ireland champions.

I said could Jim Galvin win Sam Maguire with Clare footballers in the next 4 or 5 years Could he turn laois or Longford or Wexford into the dominate force in leinster football and All Ireland champions in next few years. That's what Boylan and Heffernan did took teams from rock bottom to Sam. If Jim Galvin took over laois footballers tomorrow could he turn them into All Ireland winners with no underage sucess, no home advantage and no massive financial advantage.

Davy didn't have financial advantage Galvin had. No manager has had the financial advantage Galvin has had. And the home advantage and population advantage.

Could Jim Galvin take over Clare footballers tomorrow and in 5 years turn them into dominate force in Munster football beat kerry year after year and win All Ireland all with no underage sucess, no home advantage, no population Advantage and no 20 million plus financial advantage.

We don't know. We know Kevin Heffernan Sean Boylan and Mick Dwyer can do it, because they did it. We know Ger loughane can end 80 year famine. We know Davy can get Waterford to All Ireland final for first time in 45 years.

But Jim Galvin has only ever won All Irelands with huge financial advantages home advantage population Advantage. There is no evidence none to say he would turn laois or Clare footballers into All Ireland winners. Where has Jim Galvin been sucessful with a team with no underage sucess and no financial advantage. Where show us.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wow Tommy's beard grew back fast

The Hefferanans Boylans Dwyers Loughnanes Davy Fitzgerald Eugene McGee Pete McGrath Jimmy McGuinnes had to go into teams struggling and turn them into winners. There is no evidence to say Jim Galvin could do the same. Could he turn Westmeath footballers into dominate force in leinster football beat Dubs year after year and win Sam. Without all advantages he had with Dublin. There is no evidence no proof. He hasn't done it. We don't know.

But we do know aDavy took Waterford to their first All Ireland final since 60s, Clare to their 4th All Ireland in 140 years and Wexford to All Ireland contenders for first time since 90s.

Jim Galvin had 6 All Ireland winning underage teams to pick from, the county with the biggest Population by metric mile, every game played at home and nearly 24 million euros more than any other team, funding from the Irish government no other team got. Galvin had 60 full time coach's working on the ground in Dublin while county like Clare might have 4 if they are lucky.

No successful manager in history of gaa has had advantages Galvin had. He's not even Dublin greatest manager. Kevin Hefferanan is. Hefferanan took Dublin from bottom of div 2, worst team in leinster to multiple All Ireland champions with no underage sucess or no money advantages.

McGee took Offaly from div 3 no underage sucess to All Ireland champions

Boylan took Meath from div 4 with no underage sucess to All Ireland champions

Pete McGrath took Down from div 3 to being first Ulster team to win Sam in 23 years.

John O Mahoney won All Ireland in 98 Galway were in div 3 in 98 he won Sam and became first Connacht team to win Sam in 28 years

Ger loughnane took Clare from laughing stock to their first All Ireland since 1914 in 1995.

Cyril Farrell has won 3 of Galways 5 All Irelands. He ended 60 year famine in 1980. He turned Galway from whipping boys of hurling into superpower

Managers with no financial advantage with no home advantage. We don't know if Jim Galvin could have done what a Heffernan did or a loughnane. We only know he can with huge underage sucesss and huge financial Advantages. 24 million euros more than the next county.

He was beaten by the greatest hurling team ever in final. Waterford didn't reach final in late 60s 70s 80s 90s and until 2008 under Davy. He must be doing something right he keeps succeeding in county after county. You don't like him but his achievements are excellent.

I know JIM GAVIN managed Dublin with 6 underage teams to pick from home advantage and 24 million euros pumped into team by government and GAA to all ireland sucess. Gavin is an excellent manager. But he could he do what Kevin Heffernan did in 1974. Or what Mick O did with kildare. Before Micko took over, kilkenny footballers beat kildare. Kildare have only reached 1 All Ireland final in last 80 years and that was under Mick O. Kildare have won 3 Leinster titles in last 70 years, 2 of them under Micko. Kildare have only beaten Dublin in 1 Leinster final in last 90 years and that was under Micko in 2000.

Laois have won 1 leinster title in last 70 years and that was under Micko. Could Jim Gavin turn Laois into Leinster winners and than All Ireland winners. We dont know. There is no evidence whatsoever. We can guess. We do know Davy can take a county to their 4th All Ireland in 140 years. And also be succesful with 3 different counties and 3 different teams. There is evidence there is proof.

• Advertisement

He failed?????

Clare have only ever had 2 All Ireland winning managers eg Davy and loughnane. Clare have won 4 All Irelands, 1 in 1914, 2 in 1995 1997 Davy as player and in 2013 Davy as manager. They played brilliant hurling in replay over Cork. Cork for generations would have been bogey team for Clare. Beating Cork in a final which they dominated is not failure its a great achievement for Clare. Clare haven't come close since. Beating Cork in final in 2013 is the only final Clare have beaten Cork in last 85 years. Clare have only beaten Cork in 3 finals ever in 1914 and 1932 Munster finals and 2013 All Ireland final. For Clare to beat Cork in hurling final is massive. Clare have only won 2 finals since loughane left. In last 25 years Clare have only won 2 finals that was All Ireland and league under Davy. Clare haven't won Munster since 1998.

Waterford were whipping boys in 70s 80s improved in 90s but it was Davy who ended All Ireland final appearance famine. Waterford have reached 3 All Ireland finals in nearly last 60 years, the first one was under Davy in 08.

He beat Cork in All Ireland final with Clare, this has never happened before. He beat kilkenny with Wexford, a massive bogey team for Wexford. He managed Waterford to beat Cork in Munster final a team also a massive bogey team for Waterford. Waterford have only beaten Cork in 4 Munster finals that was in 1948 1959 2004 and in 2010 under Davy.

And what about Gavin could he turn Longford or Roscommon or Tipp footballers into All Ireland champions with no underage sucess and no financial advantage. We don't know there is no proof whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So this is now a GAA knowledge pissing contest yeah?

Galway were a div 3 team in 1998. Gallway are technically the only div 3 team to win Sam in last 50 years. The league was open draw in 1998 where all 32 teams drawn were together and kilkenny footballers were drawn in div 1 in 1998. Even though kilkenny footballers havent been in div 1 ever. kerry All Ireland champions in 1997 were drawn in div 3 in 1998, it was open draw. Leitrim ended up in div 1 in 1998.

In 1997 league ended Galway ended up in div 3 here is div 3 below in 1997. Galway didnt get promoted in 1997 so they were in div 3 heading into 1998,

Here is div 3 in 1997

Division 3 `1997

Team PtsStatus

Down 12Advance to knockout stage

Roscommon11

Wicklow 10

Westmeath 8

Galway 7

Antrim 4

Longford 3

Sligo 1

So as you can see Galway were in div 3 in 1997 and didnt get promoted in 1997, meaning at start of 1998 they should be in div 3. But in 1998 GAA had open draw for league meaning all the divisions were mixed up with div 1 and div 2 3 and 4 teams.

For example meaning in div 1 which was division A was kilkenny footballers, Leitrim, Carlow, Louth and yes Galway. kerrry reigning all ireland champion were in div 3 and Dublin in were in div 3 in 1998. Cork were in division 4 in 1998. Cork kerry were div 1 teams in 1997 and were not relegated, but it was open draw league in 1998. it was one off. But Galway at end of 1997 were still div 3 team. If you say Galway were div 1 team in 1998 you have to say Leitrim and kilkenny footballers were div 1 team also. they werent they were div 4 team.

Here is div 3 for 1998

Offally 3Advance to knockout stage

Monaghan 9

Dublin 8

Tyrone 8

Sligo 8

Kerry 6

Cavan 4

Wexford 7

As you can see Dublin and kerry were in div 3 in 1998. its only time ever in last 50 years Dublin and kerry were in div 3. But as I said it wasnt a proper division 3 as all the 32 counties were drawn in open draw so each division in 1998 had teams from div 1 and div 2 and div 3 and div 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Davy is a greedy nyuck who, with his buddy James Sexton, will be trying to create as many sellable program formats to RTE which can then be sold on to other countries for the next 10 years. Everything Davy does, is with his pocket in mind.

Soon again, with Davys Toughest Team, you'll see Davy taking advantage of 6 or 7 young lads with horrible upbringings, drug issues...have them run up a hill and act as if he's turned the lads lives around in 6 weeks.

"How are you bud?"..."Be honest with me bud...did you smoke anything last night"...."I need you to commit to this"..."I guarantee...I guarantee ya, that if you do this, you'll see what you're capable of bud"..."just do this one thing for me right...stay off the drugs for a week, for you and for your mam"

I have explained above in detail Galway were div 3 team in 1998. They ended 1997 in div 3 and were not promoted. Meaning in any other following year since the league began in 1930s Galway would have been in div 3 in 1998. But GAA had open draw in 1998 meaning Leitrim kilkenny footballers division 4 teams and Galway were in div 1. And kerry Dublin were drawn in div 3. Even though kerry was a div 1 team and reigning All Ireland champions.

Only 3 teams have won All Ireland in last 50 years outside div 1 they are Dublin in 1974 who were in div 2, Armagh in 2002 who were in div 2 and Galway who were division 3 team in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If only there was a GAA forum.

Seriously lads you're derailing the whole thread.

Here above is the league in 1997. Galway are in div 3 in 1997 and dont get promoted they are div 3 team in 1996 1997 and into 1998

Here is above league in 1998. Kerry won 1997 league div 1 yet they are drawn in div 3 in 1998. Cork lost league div 1 final in 1997 but were drawn in div 4 in 1998. Cork and kerry were not div 3 or div 4 team standards in 90s.

Dublin were in div 3 in 1998, Kerry were in div 3 in 1998.

Kilkenny footballers were in div 1 in 1998. leitrim and Carlow were in div 1 in 1998.

Cork were in division 4 in 1998.

IT WAS AN OPEN DRAW IN 1998. All div 1 div 2 div 3 and div 4 teams were drawn. it meant in divsion 1 you had div 1 and div 2 and div 3 and div 4 team .

KERRY WON THE LEAGUE DIV 1 TITLE IN 1997, THEY SHOULD BE IN DIV 1 IN 1998. But they are drawn in div 3. kerry were not div 3 team in 1990s.

Galway were in div 3 in 1996 and 1997and into 1998.

They didnt get promoted GALWAY ENDED IN 1997 IN DIV 3 LOOK AT DIVSION 3 below IN 1997 LOOK THEY DIDNT GET PROMOTED

Division 3 1997 national league only Down promoted to DIV 2

TeamPldWDLPtsStatus

Down752012Advance to knockout stage

Roscommon751111

Wicklow750210

Westmeath74038

Galway73137

Antrim72054

Longford71153

Sligo70161

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sure he's not a charity what do you expect? Irelands fittest family was a great idea is a very good show and he deserves to make money from it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I was at every round of the league in 1997 and 1998. I was at league final in 1997 1998. When people were saying kerry reigning All Ireland champions and league winners in 1997 were drawn in div 3 in 1998. I was at the All Ireland final in 1998 when people said Galway were div 3 team in 1996 1997 and 1998, as they failed to get promoted to div 3 for 1998 season. GAA changed format in 1998 and kilkenny footballers leitrim and Carlow and Galway were drawn in div 1. None of them were div 1 teams. Kerry and Dublin div 1 teams were drawn in div 3. I have given documentary evidence to back up what I say. But all you do it throw insults. i will discuss every season of the gaa since 60s with you. But I am not interested in insults. You dont like Davy Fitz. But I and others rate him. I am enttitled to that opinion and there evidence to back that up.

I was at every round of the league in 1996 1997 1998 at every league final and All Ireland final in the 1990s. This is what people were saying at the time about Galway in 1998.

In 1996 Galway were in div 3 didnt get promoted stay in div 3

In 1997 Galway were in div 3 didnt get promoted stay in div 3 so any other season they are in div 3 in 1998

BUT

League format change league winners in 1997 kerry ended up in div 3 in 1998 Galway div 3 team ended up in div 1, kilkenny footballers were in division 1 in 1998, they were div 4 team everyone knows that.

You just throw insults, you dont like the facts, you start insulting. Never dealt with Gavin question. You dont like Davy. But many like myself rate his sucesss with Clare Waterford and Wexford. He has great CV. If you want to debate I will debate all gaa matter, but for you it's just constant insults directed towards me. I am not interested in insulting anyone here. If you want debate fair enough. I respect other people's opinions. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I have one question for you

What division were Galway in 1996 1997 1998. I have put my answer with evidence above. Every All Ireland winner you can say what division they were in. Tyrone currently r div 1.

Was it div 1 or 2 or div 3 or 4. Genuine Question below.

What division were Galway in 1996 1997 1998?

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Advertisement

Galway were in div 3 in 1996 no promotion

Galway were in div 3 in 1997 no promotion

Start of league 98 Galway should have been in div 3. Kilkenny were in div 1 in 98. So were Leitrim so were louth in 98. Dublin kerry were in div 3 and Cork in div 4.

I was at every All Ireland final league in 1990s I heard this many times at the time. Galway ended 1997 in div 3. That is a fact. They didn't not get promoted. They were div 3 team in 1997 1998. Galway huge praise for winning Sam in 1998. Coming from division in 1996 1997 and into 1998. End of 1997 Galway were div 3 team. they didn't get promoted. Kerry won the league in 1997. Yet were in div 3 in 1998. Kerry were div 1 team.

kilkenny footballers were in div 1 in 1998. leitrim footballers were in div 1 in 1998. Carlow were in div 1 in 1998, Fermanagh were in div 1 in 1998. So were Galway. There has never been div 1 which had kilkenny leitrim Carlow Fermanagh in it before. kilkenny Carlow Fermanagh were div 4 standard counties in 1990s.

So what division were Galway in 1996 1997 1998

They ended 1996 1997 in div 3 and failed to not get promoted in eitheir years so Galway are div 3 team in these year. What division was Galway in 1996 1997 1998 Thanks for the insults. I try to have good conversation about gaa matters I am not interested in your insults.

What division where Galway in 1996 1997 1998 when they failed to get promoted from div 3 in 96 or 97 what div were they.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

So yeah, the Tommy Tiernan show, anyone decent on it lately?

Davy Fitz? Never heard of him, I like Gabriel Byrne. So what has this Caribbean woman done of note to deserve my attention ?

Again what divsion were Galway in 1996 1997 1998 where they div 1 team or div 2 team or div 3 team or div 4 team

Theres r only 4 answers. Or you saying Galway were div 1 team in 1998 when they were in div with kilkenny leitrim Carlow Fermanagh in 1998

Simple question what division team were galway in 1996 1997 1998

There's loads of threads to bash Dublin GAA and the money and the advantage and the population blah blah blah, you're ruining the Tommy Tiernan thread fella with your bitter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

its simple question Dublin have been div 1 team for last 10 years

What division team were Galway in 1996 1997 1998

Do you think they were div 1 team at the start of 1998 season, or div 2 or div 3

Galway were in div 3 in 1996 no promotion were in div 3 in 1997 no promotion

So What division were Galway in 1996 1997 1998

Very simple question you wouldnt answer you just give insults.

• Advertisement

You're wrong fella it was division 3 and it was 1956 lol

Advertisement