Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s unlikely but it would be interesting if all three were fit for the 6N. What selection would look like. Going by the AI’s it seems likely it would be Ryan and either Henderson or Beirne, possibly depending on the opposition.

Though a bit like with the centre’s, it’s very unlikely all three would stay fit for all 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Even if all 3 are fit the selection isn’t going to be definitive anyway, there’s horses for courses and it’s also possible that the make up of the second row might change if certain back rows were missing to balance things up. The only thing all 3 being available would bring is to give the supporters of certain players a drum to beat. Picking 2 from 3 is a great place to be but I wouldn’t get caught up in who gets in or out, second row is a lot to do with grunt work that might not make a show reel but will certainly be noticed by the coach who is looking for certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think we overstate the horses for courses thing.

When you pick the same second row pairing in consecutive weeks against NZ and Argentina, then it's fair to assume that's the first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭TRC10

Beirne basically guarantees you at least 2 turnovers a game.

I can see why that would appealing in the last 30 minutes when the game breaks up. That could win you a game (and it did v NZ).

I can also see why the scrum and lineout solidity and size of Henderson and Ryan would be appealing for the first 50 mins when everything is more structured.

I'm guessing that was Andy Farrell's thinking in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No he didn't.

On the second rows, whatever we think should happen, it looked pretty clear in the autumn that Ryan and Henderson were the first choice pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

it’s a fair enough assumption.

I would think it’s complicated now with Beirne coming on v NZ and coming in v Arg for Henderson on both occasions and playing excellently.

O’Connell has been in the trenches with Henderson and would think his opinion carries allot of sway in selection. Particularly his work around lineout.

Very interesting to see who Farrell selects in the squad. Dillane etc.

Squad announcement Monday or Tuesday?

Well unless they've changed their selection policy, Dillane won't be in the squad as he's off to France. And they won't have a guy in the squad who won't be available for the World Cup, especially given he'd only be 5th choice anyway.

I reckon it's between Wycherley and Molony for that 5th lock spot. Murray could be in the mix too.

I'm not one to obsess over size, I think being a good rugby player is the most important thing, but those options are a bit on the light side (less so with Molony but he's lacking in other areas). Dillane and Roux wouldn't be pushing for a starting spot but having them there as options would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

il always remember Porter turning around after a scrum penalty and giving Roux the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Off the back of this evening, I'm most delighted for Lawrence Summers. I know that Lawrence was massively concerned about Hume, especially given his presence in the Ireland squad, that Hume wasn't any good when he wasn't playing outside McCloskey.

This evening's performance will have shown that Hume is just a genuinely brilliant O)C. I'm sure Lawrence is both delighted and reassured. You must be so relieved, Lawrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's hard to see how Michael Lowry can be left out of the Six Nations squad.

Robert Baloucoune really put his hand up for the #14 jersey today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Judging by how Haley is left out I don't think there's space for a full back.

So if lowry is also seen as viable for another position then I'd say he'll make the squad.

Balacoune has to start for me. The best winger we have at the moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ireland is suffering for quality OHs

Lowry is in sensational form

Lowry has played OH for long stretches of his short career

Ulster's OHs are completely underwhelming

Is there something I'm missing?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,612 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe ulster are just trying to get their best 15 onto the pitch.

Lowry as a second pivot is very very useful when they play 12s like mcclosky or moore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Hard for Farrell to ignore the form of Lowry for the squad announcement.

In November Carberry covered 15. Looks like lowry is the most obvious candidate to step up there for 6 nations.

Ulster have some great young backs. A joy to watch at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There’s also a huge difference between being a second pivot and being a 10 who needs to control things. I haven’t seen much from Lowry (at all really tbh) to suggest he has the tactical and strategic elements to his game to play 10. Maybe he has it, but if he did surely he’d be playing 10 more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In November Carberry covered 15

Larmour and Zebo were surely the cover at 15.

But yeah I'd like to see Lowry get a call up. Zebo has played so little rugby he might be the one to miss out.

It's unlikely Ireland are thinking of Lowry at ten if Ulster won't consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Ulster are considering it. They know lowrys a 10, Lowry knows he’s a 10. But without Addison he’s the best 15. Once Addison is back or Aaron sexton breaks through Lowry will be straight back into 10 like he was at the start of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Barring injuries, team to start 6n

Porter

Kelleher

Furlong

Beirne

Ryan

Doris

VDF

Conan

JGP

Sexton

Lowe

Aki/Henshaw

Ringrose/Henshaw

Balacoune

Keenan

Think centre is only question mark right now

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Addison is injured.

I just see it's been covered. Lowry is only at 15 due to injury. If Addison was fit Lowry would be getting much more time at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

"Once Addison is fit" Is a big prob. Ulster and Ireland shouldn't be relying on him anymore. They also don't need to.

Realistically Lowry cannot be an international outhalf but he can most certainly be a FB. Much like Stockdale cannot be an international FB just a winger. But for very different reasons!

I would also like to see Lowry get more game time at 10 than the incumbent at Ulster. But they have resigned him and Madigan. It prob makes more sense for everyone if he is kept at FB and plays 5-10 games at outhalf when needed.

He could be an essential squad player for a WC. Personally I think he is a much better all-round footballer than Keenan. But Keenan has stepped up and is obviously the bigger man.

• Advertisement

As good as Balououcne was yesterday (and he was really, really good), he has been injured and hasn't played a lot recently. I'd like to and see how he goes next week before pencilling him in to start v Wales. But if Baloucoune is half as good as he was v Northampton, then yeah I think I'd start him. I can't see a weakness in his game. It's worth noting Conway was excellent in November and has been playing well for Munster with very little service.

Ringrose has rediscovered his 19/20 form which is brilliant. But I still think Aki/Henshaw is the most effective partnership. And if Henshaw plays v Bath and comes through unscathed, I'd have him in. But our depth at centre is unbelievable.

I'd actually start Sheehan. I think he's an animal. I've never seen a hooker like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I've been harsh on Gary Ringrose, but he played a blinder vs NZ and I think that puts a lot of credit in the bank. Aki and himself would be my 12/13 choice.

Realistically Lowry cannot be an international outhalf but he can most certainly be a FB.

That's interesting, I'd actually say the exact opposite.

You look at the way the game is going, the modern day full backs are getting very big. For example J.Barrett and Steward are both 6'5. L.Williams is 6'2. Keenan 6'1. 5'10/5'11 guys like Jaminet, Hogg and McKenzie would be on he short side.

A 5'7 test full back would be unheard of today. I think Lowry could be a good impact player at 15, but I could only see him starting a test match at 10 or on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I mean kolbe is shorter than him and I'd have no fear of him starting fullback to be fair. Can't recall if he's actually played there for sa though. 5'7 guys just aren't all that common in professional rugby I think that's a bigger factor than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lowry is far better under the high ball than Jacob Stockdale and Stockdale is almost a foot taller.

I really wish people would get over this size business. Maybe he will turn out to be too small, but jeepers he deserves a chance. He is tearing every team he plays against apart.

His running game is as good as anyones in Ireland

He has amazing footwork

His one on one tackling is excellent

His kicking game is top class

His positional play is really good

He is good under the high ball

He is already a leader in the Ulster squad at the grand old age of 23.

In my opinion all the above trumps the fact he is 5'7.

Give him a go and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Also interesting to hear that Dan McFarland has been talking with Andy Farrell about Ethan Mcilroy. Potentially a development player during the six nations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One potential issue with Lowry at 10 is his SH partner. In the medium to long-term, if it's Doak, it's not an issue, but would we ever be likely to start Casey and Lowry together?

You're right, probably not.

But if you have Lowry and Doak starting, with Casey and H.Byrne/Crowley on the bench you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Has Doak played much at 10? I know he played at least one ireland u20 game there but could he be an option there?

(Lowry would make a great sniping 9.)

Personally Id have lowry in the 6 nations squad. Haven't seen enough of him at 10, ( I thought he carried into contact too much when he did play 10) but on form he looks better than the other back up 15 options this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Advertisement