Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"The time has come to remove restrictions, so from 1st March wet pub opening hours will be extended to 11pm, digital certs will only be required in the following list of industries, children will not be required to wear masks outside at dinner time, and changing rooms in selected high street retailers will be allowed to open subject to public health measures. Now, aren't we great for removing restrictions".

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

The fact that they spinelessly hide behind Holohan as a way to never have to potentially make a bad decision and show some leadership needs to be pointed out in our national discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Then can do and then it will be up to the government to say thanks for that but we are going ahead with lifting the restrictions and we will keep and eye on things. I think if the NPHET came back with something like and the government went with it I think the country would be up in arms especially considering what we have seen over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

MM always seems quite relaxed about the timing of relaxing restrictions. A week or two here and there seems of no consequence.

It's appalling when you know it directly affects jobs and people's liberty. It would be easier to accept restrictions if there was a more aggressive approach about the need to remove them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

As far as I can see the “government” is running this country in a way as to simply appease the type of people who watch The Late Late Show and listen to Joe Duffy. Serial misery hunters who in all honesty will NEVER accept that there is a right time to open up. Pat Kenny talking this morning on Newstalk like we were still back in March 2020. And around and around on the merry go-round we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Maybe start an anti forced vaccination thread. This is the Relaxation of Restrictions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

While I'd love mass non-compliance of ridiculous restrictions when it reaches a point of there being zero need for them. I'd even argue the 8PM closing should have never been in effect. I'd wonder if there is an insurance risk if something was to happen after 8PM when legislation says they shouldn't be open. Insurance companies are another set of weasals who try to shy away from responsibilities.

The problem is that pubs and restaurants is when they come the renew their drink licence and some garda stands up and says they didn't follow the covid regulations and the judge doesn't grant them their licence and they are effectively out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

There are probably a lot of people like me who have supported mask wearing and social distancing throughout the pandemic and are reluctant to change because they do not want to end up in the anti vax group seemingly agreeing with them. I will keep the mask wearing indoors for a while until this wave really hits the floor after which i will simply stop. I am fully aware that there is no good scientific reason for wearing masks anymore as it wont stop Omicron at all, as well as some previous restrictions that did make sense at the time but are now obsolete. Omicron is still very prevalent at the moment so i will do my bit to seem compliant. It is a weakness i know.

• Advertisement

That is just one example. Fact is that pretending they don't exist or finding ways to work around nonsense laws and regulations is pretty much just enabling them. It doesn't address the root problem, namely that certain people are enacting nonsense laws and regulations.

It is far better to be vocal in opposition to such things than to quietly tip away in the shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

100% this.

And they have they cheek to come looking for €160 for a TV license off the working man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Most Gardaí don't give one iota of a sh1te. Was in a well known pub not far from Connolly station in Dublin recently at 21:30 and 2 Gardaí were in. They left and pub was still going on serving at 10 when I left. And was rammed.

Same in Malahide this weekend. 22:45 or so and garda at the bar talking to a manager when I ordered a pint. Not many in there now and nothing like the place in town. But this place never really closed throughout the entire pandemic.

There are tons of pubs don't see staying open well beyond 8PM. And not even secretively. I just wonder if there is a worry of insurance or as you say, license renewal, that stops a majority of places not following.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its a threat, but almost never comes to pass.

Even the worst holes of pubs in this country full of fights and drugs etc still get their license renewed despite the gardais opposition.

Very unlikely that a judge would revoke one based on covid rule breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Heard that putrid radio ad again today, the one with the kids where they say that this January a covid test is the only test that matters.

If I could bring back my dear friend who died last summer from late diagnosis cancer (how I wish I could bring him back, I never got to say goodbye) I wonder would he agree with that statement. Crass tasteless ad manipulating kids to try and keep the covid train rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Ahhhh.... Maybe you haven't noticed, but restrictions are linked to vaccination status 🙄

You really think? I wouldn't be putting that much faith in our judges tbh...

Then you have another example of "Gemma's granny" (as an admin of this site gleefully called her) in Cork being jailed for not wearing a mask.

There's also this...

Nah, I wouldn't be putting my faith in Irish judges sympathising with those who failed to comply with the State's Covid theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

People just don’t care. I have friends and family who I would previously have considered to be compassionate, decent people who genuinely couldn’t give a toss about the people losing jobs cause they’re saving time and money working from home.

I find their indifference shocking but from their perspective, they now have a better quality of life and are happy relaxing at home with their partners.

If the cost is other people losing out financially, socially and emotionally they aren’t too bothered so long as they personally aren’t directly effected.

I have two friends who were at the very least a couple of years away from mortgage approval who are now home owners thanks to their expenses reducing so much due to the lockdowns. They’d be delighted if we went into another one - better chance of getting a tradesman to do a foxer for them below the market rate, they say.

It’s much easier to support these restrictions when you won’t be the one losing your job or wage. It’s easier to sacrifice someone else’s future rather than your own, I guess.

Until more of the comfortable WFH crowd are effected, this will continue.

I think there will be a lot of people ashamed of their actions in a few years time when they see how they directly benefited from other peoples lives and futures being destroyed.

That's the thing I am sure pubs and restaurants would love to give 2 fingers to the government and these restrictions but there is an element of gambling your business to do it. Is it worth that much of a risk or is it better to feign following the restrictions but really just disregarding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I am hoping, that people effected badly by this can now get a voice... before omicron, you couldnt moan about the restrictions, as it was seen as selfish, or you supported the mass killing of grannies.. now with Omicron, people who have lost alot should be given air time and headlines.. non compliance will only get so far, I think we need real peoples stories and situations shared... someone called out earlier we love misery... use this misery to our advantage and not NPHET, this is the misery that can hopefully bring about support for the lifting of restrictions.. but I dont know are the media ready for this side of the coin yet.

All these people in their cushy situations, need their eyes and ears open..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Apparently if the government advises to close at 8pm and they disregard and stay open, they aren’t covered by their insurance if anything happens. I think that’s why a lot of businesses aren’t openly flouting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I long for a day where we will be told that we are now moving into a legitimate "personal responsibility" phase of the virus.

If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask.

If you don't want to go to a packed concert, don't go.

If you're afraid you could pick up the virus at a packed concert and pass it to somebody vulnerable and don't believe the vax and boosters are enough to keep them safe, book a test before visiting them.

If you work in any sort of health care setting, take regular antigen tests.

Basically engage your own brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep but this 'pandemic' has now turned into something else in Ireland

These Doctors know they have a golden ticket to 'change our culture'

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

My employer has advised me that come February I will be down to a 1 day working week as the EWSS will be reduced to €203 and I can claim the days I don't work on Jobseekers. I would much prefer if everything opened up as the sooner it does hopefully the sooner I can get back to working a 5 day week. Getting totally fed up with this keeping society closed and telling businesses what time they have to close a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Quags

Nail on the head here, as I have said before. People wont give a fcuk about others losing work, suffering until it starts to affect them personally, Kind of like when people were agreeing with the mandatory vaccine story cause they already had the vaccine but not knowing if that law was ever brought in then any vaccine could have pumped into them or their kids

You'll probably have some middle aged lad who works from home telling you that there are barely any restrictions and some anal, pettiness about saying society is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

This would be the dream, and not just for us, but for the entire world.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

There is a certain vindictiveness or vengeance thing going on with the ones still pushing for mandatory vaccination or the continuation of the certs. Just look at the lunatics over on journal.ie

Most people, as you say, don't care as long as they still get to go to the pub.

These nasty little rules will hang around longer than they need to through apathy on the one hand and bitterness on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I had this same experience with a friend of nearly two decades. He’s comfortable working from home along with his wife and kids. He’s said he’s fine with the restrictions as long as they don’t interfere with his life and at the moment they aren’t. He has a vague, abstract concern for all the people who’ve lost their livelihoods and/or whose quality of life has been greatly diminished but it’s the same kind of concern one has when reading about a natural disaster on the other side of the world. “Oh, isn’t that awful!… I wonder who won the football.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Quags

Its mind boggling how we have actually got here, how the country have being divided by the Gov/MSM and the affect of this deadly virus. I feel personally some members of the public who are vaccinated and maybe boosted got the vaccine cause the word was "get vaccinated & this is over" but cant let down appearances now so got boosted to keep in line per say. All we can hope for is some sort of closure this year for the majority of the world and keep the boosters, anti viral drugs and whatever else they for those most at risk

Advertisement