Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fate of Tonga

Options
  • 17-01-2022 2:48pm

I don't think there's a thread on this.

A number of Tongan islands, including the main island, have been uncontactable since 15 January after an enormous volcanic eruption and tsunami. The islands are isolated, but to my knowledge a whole country losing contact with the rest of the world in modern times is unprecedented. It seems an undersea cable has been damaged.

The Australians and New Zealanders have sent some aircraft (as of 17 January) to try to assess the damage and determine the status of the Tongan people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

From all I've seen, the eruption that hit Tonga on the 15th was far from your "ordinary" eruption. For starters, the explosion was loud enough to be heard in Fairbanks, Alaska, nearly 10000 kilometres away from Tonga. That's twice as far as people were able to hear the already apocalyptic eruption of Krakatoa back in 1883! This was confirmed by the National Weather Service in Alaska, by the way, so it's pretty solid.

The shock waves generated by the eruption were strong enough to be detectd by barometers here in Ireland, including my own consumer-grade weather station, despite the fact that the barometer was built into the indoor sensor! I wrote a blog post about that yesterday evening:

BOOM! (thomil-english.blogspot.com)

Given the force of that explosion and the fact that the tsunami it triggered was strong enough to kill people as far away as Peru, I don't even want to imagine what the seafloor looks like in the area around Tonga at the moment. I suspect that rather than trying to find and repair the existing cable, it might be better to lay a completely new one.

And then, there's the ash cloud. Apart from being a potentially lethal hazard for reconnaissance aircraft, significant lightning discharges were reported during the eruption itself. It stands to reason that the entire ash cloud is electrically charged to some degree, interfering with radio and satellite communication as well. And honestly, I shudder when I think about what effect the ash has had on the ground!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Some of the after effects around the world here - including some satellite imagery

LIVE Satellite tracking the Hunga Tonga volcano

And honestly, I shudder when I think about what effect the ash has had on the ground!

Is there any possibility of at least some parts of Tonga going the way of Pompeii, or at the very least, are we looking at near total collapse of buildings due to ashfall, along with lahars plus the tsunami? How likely is it that at least some of the islands have been rendered uninhabitable for a few months at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@[Deleted User] How likely is it that at least some of the islands have been rendered uninhabitable for a few months at least,

Most of the islands are already uninhabitaed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Can they not send navy etc to investigate?

• Advertisement

That's true but at least 36 are inhabited by a total of 104,000 people. The ash cloud has completely enveloped the main island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

@Tomalak As Gatling rightly pointed out, the twin islands of Hunga Tonga and Hunga Ha'apai, which used to be linked by the volcano that blew itself apart on Saturday, were already uninhabited. The chance of a pyroclastic flow making it across the 50 or so kilometres of open water between these two islands and Tonga itself are slim to none, though I'm not totally ruling it out.

The big issue I'm concerned about is ashfall from the cloud covering up and suffocating plant life on Tonga, as well as potentially poisoning any open wells or drinking water reservoirs. Given the sheer size of that ash cloud, the amount of ash precipitation is likely going to be significant.

@Kevhog1988 The Royal New Zealand Navy has its ships on stand-by, but I'd say they're waiting on more reconnaissance reports from the P-3C Orion and P-8 Poseidon flights before they decide which ships in particular to send. Sending out a frigate or their fleet oiler HMNZS Aotearoa doesn't make sense if the quayside infrastructure is damaged, while operations from their amphibious landing ship HMNZS Canterbury could be impeded by floating pumice rafts and debris in the water.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Seen pictures of one of the islands split in two earlier , apparently it's not considered a mass casualty event.

Not the greatest source

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tonga-volcano-aerial-photos-show-25965099

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

One of the victims is a British national

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Aside: Tonga really is remarkably tiny. You've to do a fair bit of zooming in on Google maps to find it. In my head I'd always categorise it along with Fiji and Samoa due to them all having high level rugby teams but it's orders of magnitude smaller than Fiji and several times smaller than Samoa. It was some feat by them to beat France at the 2011 rugby world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That was some explosion , satellite images as it goes off unreal

My god, thats some power to destroy 95% of a 4km island

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We were put on Tsunami alert here in Vancouver over it. I thought to myself "isn't that miles away though?". But when you see the satellite images of it, my god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Scott Manley has a good video on it, shows the pressure wave travelling across various countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMRwyNhqJ4

5000 Miles away or something like it , from you's and a tsunami alert ,just shows us all again nature is more powerful than people realise

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't understand why countries neighbouring didn't put up planes the same day it happened to see how bad the damage was, there's 100k people live here. I also can't understand how come satellite phones from the area aboard ships and yachts have not been used to communicate to the rest of the world what has happened, these phones have zero reliance on any base stations in the area the call is being made from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Covid only reached there 11 weeks ago. They had one case, total, and they're recovered...

Tonga's deputy head of mission in Australia, Curtis Tu'ihalangingie, said Tonga was concerned about the risk of aid deliveries spreading COVID-19 to the island, which is COVID-free.

"We don't want to bring in another wave - a tsunami of COVID-19," Tu'ihalangingie told Reuters by telephone. Any aid sent to Tonga would need to be quarantined, and it was likely no foreign personnel would be allowed to disembark aircraft, he said.

Plane engines and volcanic dust don't mix well.

As for Sat comms, most yachts and ships use things like IridiumGo which is really only good for texts and weather updates. Sat phones like in the movies are insanely expensive and not needed for boats.

There's also the fact that nobody knows what the seas were like in the area considering the tsunami.

Then there's the earthquake

Lastly, the explosive force of the eruption was vastly greater than anything we've ever seen, an island was basically vaporised, so its not known what impact that might have had.

• Advertisement

Fly by done, runway is covered in ash so nothing has landed yet

BBC News - Tonga runway ash blocks New Zealand air relief

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

IridiumGo maybe 20 years ago, basic trawlers now have broadband via satellite at affordable prices.

The BBC specified that satellite communications have been hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too much ash in the air for satellite comms

Consider that even heavy rain affects satellite signals - physical obstructions like ash make it a no-go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That island is part of the volcano itself, it used to be two islands until 2014 when it became one island after an eruption and has continually been changing since as more eruptions have occurred. It even changed during a smaller eruption the day before the big one I think.

The Scott Manley vid posted above details it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

That ash cloud with the lightning striking is an awesome sight, and quite scary if you happen to be anywhere nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks like all homes destroyed on one of the islands according to some news services.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It really is. I've had that thought a few times recently. Watching the videos of the lava flows rushing down the mountain in La Palma or old videos of the Japanese tsunami hitting. When those kind of events happen - it doesn't matter how advanced our technology has come along in the past few centuries - all we can do is get out of the way as best we can and let nature do its thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah yeah, when nature acts up were mere ants in the way.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Kind of crazy when you see it in that context, that's the ash cloud as it would look over France. On a lighter note, the name Tonga always makes me think of swimming togs.

Advertisement