Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dunne leaving is a loss, imo. So, they will sign someone for 2 years? And then what? Leinster imo, are making a mistake here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ireland don't produce many players with the frame to play th lock, it's a shame to lose one of the few from the system. As a Connacht fan I'm quite disappointed, I hope we made him an offer. Exeter could be a great move for him though, not many clubs I'd trust more to develop a young player. Hopefully he has a few good years there and comes back to Ireland a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If the player wanted to leave, there's very little Leinster could have done. Best offload him if he didn't want to be there and he's not a player who routinely starts in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fingers crossed Jack dunne becomes the next Leo Cullen. Head over to England to a club with a great forward pack, learn lots and come back to leinster.

Don't ask much do I?? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Just wondering if that’s intended as a serious comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's gonna be a blood Bath

(I'll get my coat)

Bath are seriously uncompetitive at the moment, you should easily get a TBP win over there, and they know it, and they're already knocked out, so they'll likely play their academy players the same way Montpellier did today

Exeter are in the same boat, except perhaps that there may be some backlash after the humiliation from today, and PSA is forced to pick a stronger team at home to Exeter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ryle Nugent on commentary? He's awful, truly awful. He'd give Fred Cogley a run for his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I read he's English qualified too, which could be a problem if he does well.

I think this is a big f*ck up from Leinster and the IRFU.

Every man and his dog knows we struggle to produce massive locks and Irish teams often come undone when faced with huge packs, and we lose Dillane and Dunne in the space of a couple of weeks.

Even if Leinster didn't fancy him, he'd have done well and Connacht and Ulster other than Henderson aren't stacked for quality locks.

Ryle Nugent is one of the best commentators in Ireland or the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very impressive and clinical performance today, you can only play what's in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's exactly how I see it. They have moloney really maturing into a good club player and won't be away with Ireland, Murphy seems to be playing second row instead of 6 now and baird is there but need score game time. Can't blame Dunne for leaving as it's the only way he'll develop.

I think we should be more comfortable with young players leaving with a view to bringing them home. Between Beirne, Leo Cullen, Shane Jennings, it's not a new idea and should be used to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sorry now, but what exactly do you want the IRFU to do? Leinster aren’t going to play him ahead of better players. And Dunne may not want to move to another province. He certainly isn’t going to Munster with Beirne, Kleyn, Snyman etc there. Connacht vs Exeter is an easy choice. The only realistic option is Ulster. He might be able to get into the 23 there, but it wouldn’t be certain. And it’s not like the Leinster players who have moved up have had a stellar time of it (Cooney being the exception). So the options here are very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leo was a Leinster regular when he left. Leinster weren't in a good place when him and Leo left.

Jack Dunne can't get into the team at a time when we are struggling at lock. Hopefully he matures into a good player but at the moment there hasn't been much to indicate letting him go is a grievous error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I can see it now. If Dunne looks really good for Exeter in a year or two the narrative from the Leinster-can-do-no-wrong types will be that he was injured the whole time he was here.

It wouldn't be so bad if the coaches simply judged Joe McCarthy to be a better option, and were going to back him. But I doubt that's going to happen. They'll be looking to get in an NIQ. Seven out of eight of the pack being first choice internationals for a tier one nation obviously isn't enough.

Frankly, I think McCarthy, Charlie Ryan and Deeny should also be looking for moves. It's hard to see them being nurtured through by being afforded significant minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Haven’t been that impressed with Dunne when I’ve seen him over the last few years. Big lump but seemed to lack a bit of dynamism. Fingers crossed that it goes well over for him at Exeter and that he becomes an option for Ireland down the line. Plenty of time for him to develop as a second row.

This seems to be a result of the financial impact of COVID and the rejigged URC offering less opportunities for fringe players. We all breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Furlong, Porter and Ringrose signed back up. Some players will have to make way as result.

I'm actually his mother

Ryle wouldn't say that about himself, he's far too modest.

And handsome

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ryle has certainly grown into a fantastic commentator. I think he doesn't a really good job of matching his register with the excitement and importance of the moment he's commentating on.

There isn't too much to be said from yesterday's match is there? There were a couple of absolutely shocking displays of handling from people, but there was so much handling that is understandable. Why was JOB playing? We preserving Lowe, or is there a feeling he's the real deal? It's always hard to tell with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Are people really shedding tears about a second row who didn't even make matchday squads during international breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

To be fair Cooney moved from Connacht and in his prime. Most the Leinster guys were past their prime and looking for easy money.

Anyway id say after he came out last summer he probably wants a bit of freedom in a place where no one knows him. Ireland is very small and going by former Leinster player Neil Francis or Orangeman David Tweed a move aboard may be better for his mental health.

Its a good move for him and hopefully everything works out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So the Leinster starting back row made more meters than 7 teams did in total.

Connacht had the least meters made, not really surprising I suppose with all the aimless kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say Jack Dunne would be delighted to see him and David Tweed mentioned together that’s the sort of thing any young player wants these days. Jesus wept that’s the dumbest post I’ve seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The game yesterday has been pretty much dismissed across the board but I think there was a decent bit to take from it. Good minutes in a first choice team for Frawley, Moloney and JOB. Larmour was excellent in the first half I thought and this season has been playing really well after some mixed form previously. It was a total, 80 minute, relentless performance which you often don't see from Leinster or Irish teams in general. And the style of play that has been very evident this season, with every single player expected to handle, pass and offload, and the team in general with loads of passing options was there in spades for the full 80.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree , the opposition were beyond muck but the fact that they kept the pressure on for the entire game and retained the general structures was good to see.

Having scored 40 in the 1st half it would have been easy to ease back and start trying silly stuff with wild passes and poor decisions , but by and large they kept the focus and maintained the scoring rate.

Bath won't be up to much next week , they won't be anything quite as abject as Montpellier were for sure but if Leinster can bring the same intensity and consistency to the game , 5 points and a healthy addition to the PD and try count should be on the cards.

I am just saying it would be tough for guys like Jack Dunne when Leinster legends like Neil Francis had such a media presents and divisive views

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2014/0216/504730-francis/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neil Francis is no leinster legend. Youll find the vast majority of leinster fans will distance themsleves from his views

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Im sorry Mrs. Nugent but he is my least favorite. of all time. ever.

"And now its Irelands turn to attack" groaaaan

he also skipped the que in the post office at Christmas. Pulled his black merc (of course) up outside on a double yellow (with the hazards flashing!)

he's a very naughty boy with a very annoying accent

Fair enough with regards the fans but not as easy to distance yourself or ignore these things when you are playing for the same club. I think Jack Dunne was brave as you dont know how your teammates or future teammates will react. Patrice Evra spoke lately about players afraid to come out because of the damage it would do to their careers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Amazing how much things have changed since 2014 when that interview took place.

Francis is a Tabloid style journalist who writes for a broadsheet. He's a sensationalist and that's fine if you want lightweight rugby coverage and a bit of opinion from the old school.

If Dunne is upset by that, wait until he reads the aggressive nature of the UK rugby journalism.

I really doubt his sexual orientation is a big part of his decision to move. He's just not getting any consistent gametime at leinster so a move to another club is a very good option. Moving abroad is a brave move given the effective ban on Ireland consideration. But he has little to lose by moving abroad given he wasn't even really in serious leinster consideration.

Advertisement