Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Mine’s a combination of Fitz and Fulla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭micks_address

Doxa homage? Seestern. Picked up from tz in the uk arrived today. Also bought the Tiffany blue one for a mate who's recovering from COVID. His friend has three doxa so be interesting to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

Dial picks up your complexion nicely 😹

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speaking of the devil Doxa.

Feckin phone cam's fecked. New phone beckons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Micks_address, i'ld be keen to hear how they compare. I saw the aquamarine on adverts, I was a little tempted, mainly for comparison. I'm wearing the 300T today, not diving but fitting a pair of ovens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Totally agree on the comfort levels,I have the non solar version and you could easily forget you are wearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I might as well join today’s submariner group

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That moment on a Saturday morning when realise you've run out of teabags. EMERGENCY! 😂

Bulova Accuquartz 'Centenary' from 1975. Smooooth seconds hand. Luckily it's bang on accurate as adjusting them is a complete PITA involving adding or removing teeny screws from the regulator. A knob would be so much better, as the actress said to the bishop.

That's them top left above the 'silicon chip', dated the 38 week of 1974. Back then it was probably the most expensive component of the movement.

Bulova had been at the vanguard of electronic watches with their Accutron tuning fork innovation of the 1960's, which was a revolution in personal timekeeping. Used a lot in the aerospace industry because of accuracy. NASA's missions used them extensively as spacecraft timers. Then quartz came along and they had to adapt, so they cleverly used an existing Accutron movement, tweaked it to take a chip and quartz oscillator and used the tuning fork part as the stepping motor. This saved them creating a totally new movement. It was to come to nought though as digitals took over and analogue looked old hat and they went the same way as so many of the Swiss, French and German watch brands. Though Bulova did keep in the digital game for longer than many with their Computron which was a decent seller, but still lagged behind the Japanese. Ironically it was the Japanese Citizen company that bought the name a few years ago and they're back on the shelves again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Imagine that technological marvel is still working nearly 50 years later, and people can still repair them despite the complexity...who da thunk it.

New watch day for me today .Tudor royal 41mm , I’m sure its one that won’t be to everyone’s taste.I’ve looked at them for a while and it has some features I like and some I don’t but it’s one I’ve kept going back to so decided to try it .it’s different to the rest of my collection which is mainly divers plus the blue dial is a real eye catcher

• Advertisement

Fitz,That's one of the characteristics I like about 70s quartz, I have 4 from that era, two japanese two swiss. The manufacturers put effort into a well made product and they have lasted. I know the consumer has changed, but reasonable longevity seemed to be more prevalent back then, or else it's survivor bias on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I had one very similar for a bit did a review of it. I really really liked it, Very nice size and thickness. Bracelet is good, dial is good. Its a good watch and underrated.....although the reviews are all good so maybe its properly rated but under collected. Well wear.

Survivor bias is probably a strong part. But is really a call to another conversation myself and wibbs are having where he thinks modern cars are too complex to be repairable in the future and technological advances like a change of drivetrain double down on this, I disagree, and this is a timely example of why and how.

Very nice Tudor. Def value for money if you compare it to a day date from its bigger brother.

I was half tempted with one myself but couldn’t make friends with the bezel.

It really is value for money. it feels like it costs a lot more than €2200 .The sellita movement obviously helps keep the costs down but the case and bracelet feel great.

I was told by the sales rep that Tudor / Rolex are opening a new manufacturing plant this year so they are expecting a lot more pieces to start coming through.They’re the 2nd ad I’ve heard that from so hopefully there’s a bit of truth in it.

Actually Fitz it's not and is actually a better example for my side of that argument. It's almost entirely survivor bias. That example above was NOS, never used, box, price, hang tags and all, left behind in 70's jeweller's backroom by the popularity of digital watches. The majority of the other working early quartz I have were the same or similar. I've also bought a few that were duds or died soon after. Repairability? The mechanics are repairable enough alright(unless you run out of coils), a new quartz oscillator could be soldered in if that blew, but the rest of the gubbins? If it blows and you can't find a working secondhand/NOS spare it's game over. That goes for pretty much all early quartz. Yes they were extremely expensive when new and very well built for the most part and were designed to be repairable, however, spares are the problem and the technology moved on.

Omega used to service their 70's quartz, but have given up on a few models because they ran out of spares. Girard Perregaux used to service their 70's quartz until they ran out of spares and then fitted more modern movements to them, but have given that up too, because nothing currently fits or will drive the full size hands. Longines did the same with their ultraquartz, to the degree that the working one in their museum that they use in their ads for their current VHP range doesn't have an original movement, but a modern replacement. It's not just quartz. Stuff like LIP electronic spares are getting thinner on the ground. When the supply of Accutron and later tuning fork index wheels runs out it'll be game over for them too. Digital spares? Good luck. In the majority of cases just try and find a working one on ebay. Even some mechanical spares can be hard to come by. 1960's high beat movements spares can be a case of offering up prayers to the ebay gods. The guy for electric/electronic servicing electric watches uk used to service and repair a host of such movements but today will only take on one.; the ESA 9162/4

Now it would be entirely possible to remanufacture or even custom replace movements with new 'engines', but the market is too small, with too many different movement requirements for it to be close to viable.

Any time it's come up I have always advised those who want to collect in this area to budget for the watch and a spare working movement to stick in a static bag in a safe place. Something I follow myself, but something I wouldn't even consider for any of my mechanical stuff.

This is why I have two of these;

I've joked it's because I'm mad, and I am😁, but I got the one on the right, because the one on the left is a rare as unicorn poo pre production prototype and I wanted a spare movement and the one on the right happened to come with a watch for free.

Well so much for Tudor quality , less than 24 hrs on the wrist and problem already . Pretty sure it’s the crown stem that is fouling / disconnected but can’t set the time forward.

It can happen with anything S, but a pain in the arse when it does. 😫😡 I knew someone who bought an IWC DaVinci, mad complications and 'mad money' at the time. He had nothing but trouble with it and in the end he lost the plot with them and they swapped it for another new one and the last time I talked with him it never gave him a moment's trouble since.

Just looking at your pic, is it the day/date part that's on the blink?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do you have calipers to measure the thickness of the spring? I have some 0.9mm NiTinol wire that is an ideal spring material and which is easy to form with a small butane torch and some tools.

I am grey haired and drive around in a 2005 Civic Type R. Mostly without a watch, but usually with a stupidly practical perpetual calendar eco-drive when I do.

Kangaroo leather is pretty good and I'd have no qualms about it as they are not endangered and their numbers have exploded wherever agriculture has created unnaturaly abundant water supplies. Same for emu leather.

• Advertisement

Oh of course it happens with anything . My only concern when buying this watch was I knew it’s a cheaper movement to keep the costs down as no part of the watch feels cheap in the hand , and typically when you expect something to become an issue it does.

So how I noticed it - I was impressed with how the day date changes over at a min past midnight and how there is no delays between the two when changing. So I set the time again to view the change over again and felt the crown slipping .

A few more turns of the crown and found that the date wouldn’t change ( usually by winding the crown clockwise ) The day will change ( crown turning anti clockwise) Then noticed in position 3 the time won’t adjust forward which is by turning the crown clockwise but will turn back when moved anti clockwise - With the crown screwed in fully it is keeping time as expected hence I assume it’s a crown / stem issue as opposed to anything else.

I wouldn’t tell that story to the AD. General advice is often not to change time or date if possible while in the date change window, 10 ish to 2 but varies by watch.

I would play dumb entirely incase they attribute blame in your direction.

Good point and yes it would of been between 10 & 2 . Have heard before about not changing time during this position but have never paid attention to it and had no issues , perhaps my luck ran out .

if it’s by my error so be it, certainly won’t expect a free fix if I broke it. I’ll see what they say tomorrow .

Play dumb. They will fix it!

Its prob more changing the date while on that window is the real risk but engaging the crown at that time can only be a risk.

The blue seestern/doxa... Passed onto a friend.

Well, what's the build quality like, printing on the dial and bracelet. Is it Seiko 5 standard?

In next few weeks should be able to get it side by side with a doxa. For the money it feel pretty good. Bracelet is quite comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Found this on ebay last week. Breytenbach automatic, think it was €50 including postage from Germany.

Was aware at the time of purchase there was a missing day hand. Didn't know that the year only went to 2019 though. Has a nice solid feel on the wrist

Lunchtime dog walk on the canal, with my '73 Seiko advan. The watch looks like it's been cooped up in a drawer for good while.

• Advertisement

Interesting asymmetric D case design NJ. You read blogs that say LIP's Roger Tallon came up with that and he certainly took it far more modernist and deisgnery with negative space crowns and the like, but that was in 74 a year after your Advan and the Americans had been doing asymmetric case layouts since the 1950's. Then another non watch industry designer Giugiaro took up the mantle again in the early 80's in another Seiko.

Advertisement