Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Agree that high cases numbers made them take a cautious approach . But it should have been monitored on a bi-weekly basis. Restrictions can be imposed on the drop of a hat here anyway .

We had the SA data then a couple of weeks later we had London data .

Instead they went for the lowest hanging fruit .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Reports on RTE that the 8pm over reaction time for pubs to close may even be changed before the end of January.

Presumably these restrictions are just costing the state a fortune and for no reason.

It's important to remember Tony wanted the pubs, restaurants and cinemas closed at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That is fair when it was a big unknown but we knew three weeks ago that a) it was more benign than Delta and b) that it was the dominant variant yet they are very slow to reverse restrictions - always a need for more time to evaluate.

the politicians are now ahead of the experts. Useful to recall that the Taoiseach 12 months ago highlighted that the Alpha variant was a major factor in the December 2020 surge is high was disputed by NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

He wanted 8pm but used 5pm as an "opening gambit" - he bids low, government bid high, they meet in the middle. That kind of thing.

As soon as the 5pm reports leaked to the media it was as clear as day what was going to happen.

• Advertisement

So Chief Medical Officers gambit with their advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That'll happen again.

Whenever the next variant is announced, testing-upon-entering will be introduced in loads of countries and flights will be cancelled from that place. It's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What other advice is bullshit I wonder?

If games like that are being played I would doubt the credibility of other advice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

David Nabarro answering questions he'd never considered giving an opinion on before, hospitality rules in Ireland, but it's The COVID Show! Interesting that his views on boosters go against the general commentary of the WHO on them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Theres a whole swathe of the Irish population now not being PCR tested and as a result no surveillance on this group. Hardly a characteristic of a “public health emergency”.

There needs to be serious debate about the emergency laws around Covid and proper scrutiny on their apparent benefits. There’s a very limited proportion of TDs calling for this mainly Catherine Connolly and the rural independents.

As it stands, a group of public health officials with one subset of societal issues within their scope is dictating policy to a weak Government unwilling to contradict them. It’s currently illegal to sit in a cinema at 8pm in order to contract the spread of a virus that under no definition would meet the requirements of being a “public health emergency” any longer. The only emergency here is the threat to the stability of the hospital system, something that before 2019 happened every year without the need for “emergency powers” to mitigate it. That is down to years of gross mismanagement and unwillingness to tackle issue head on and instead try and solve the issue with endless blank cheques. The country has been the recipient of numerous windfalls from corporation tax in recent years, which in countries led by competent governance would have been used for one off payments such as capital investment in projects such as MetroLink or a new hospital. Instead they have been unsustainably used to plug HSE budget overruns.

The most worrying thing of all is the almost unanimous support for the status quo among TDs. There is no serious opposition to the continuing madness. We’re told to trust the science when it comes to introducing lockdowns but facts and science seem to go out the window when it comes to loosening them.

I say this as someone in my mid 20s who will have to suffer the consequences, like all other young people, for the rest of my life. The country is now nearly a quarter of a trillion euro in debt from Covid and the absolute mess after the banking collapse. This aspect of all of this seems to be completely ignored. Racking up endless debt now despite the coming pensions squeeze, healthcare demands for an aging population, our rubbish infrastructure, reliance on foreign direct investment, rising interest rates, climate change mitigation etc.

Here’s hoping it’ll come to an end sooner than the current atmosphere would have you believe.

Solving the long term health system issues has to be a priority after this. The IT meltdown mid pandemic sums up the systemic mess that is our health "system."

It can't just limp on and on.

It's already seen by many as a significant disincentive for basing themselves here. I know lots of people who've been happy in Ireland working in some high flying IT role, then end up in the Mater or CUH for 17 hours to deal with some minor emergency and decide that maybe it's time to pack the bags and go back to France or Germany or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exactly the click-baity bull that I mentioned above.

What David Nabarro actually said was

restrictions on hospitality should not be eased because the sector was facing difficulty. Any decisions should be made on the basis of the health risk.

Which goes without saying. But it doesn't sound quite as good as, "The WHO says Ireland should keep its restrictions" even though it's a completely inaccurate headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bloopy

Nevermind this comment.

Accidentally clicked on something and can't figure out how to delete.

Stupid new boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Any decisions should be made on the basis of the health risk.

What's the "basis of the health risk"?

Knowing 22 people died of Covid the week up to the 11th of January?

I would have assumed 0 deaths is the acceptable "health risk" we set in early March 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

@bloopy

Accidentally clicked on something and can't figure out how to delete.

To delete drafts,

• on PC Click on your profile picture and click drafts and hit on the X to delete them
    • on Mobile scroll to very bottom and click on 'My Drafts'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭brickster69

Seems like a new strain of Omicron is taking over in some countries now. In Denmark it has overtaken the first strain

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The Irish Times is sinking to new depths by the day. I saw that IT headline and nearly had a seizure when I thought the WHO had said that, until I read the real quote and context. Literally, WTF is going on with the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

Not a new strain but sub-lineages

Omicron Is Still Mutating - Subvariants (BA.1, BA.2, BA.3), The Stealth Variant, And More ~ YouTube

As Omicron spreads like wild fire across the globe infecting millions, additional mutations are inevitable. We are starting to see distinct sub-variants or sub-lineages emerge of Omicron. New and different mutations as compared to the original Omicron variant are starting to build up leading to sub-variants. These are being labelled BA.1, BA.2, BA.3.

Post edited by corkie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It will be pleasing to see them actually surprise people. One would assume that there is yet another roadmap coming as well with all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

It's funny how last summer lots of people were accusing Boris/the UK of being reckless by dropping masks and going back to normal. Yet I never heard anyone say the same thing about Mette Frederiksen/Denmark who went even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

6329 positive PCRs.

4810 positive antigens.

Numbers really dwindling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Is the emergency Covid legislation due to expire on the 31 March? Surely there can't be any justification now for extending it again? If it's not extended I presume masks and certs will have to be gone by this date at the latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems as if the next step for hospitality after that appears to be a removal of everything bar checking for covid certs if the political reporters are correct.

Opening times should be back to normal straight away, 8 or 12 is fairly pointless, but I can see all of this gone through February hopefully.

Interesting few days ahead anyway before we see what comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Erra there's always an abundance of caution

They'll claim they need emergency powers to be able to react to any new variants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It will be extended to cover those very things.

Masks in public spaces and Covid certs will need to be options available to the Government for another year to two years.

Wishing away a pandemic isn't a policy, its just foolishness. It will become endemic in its own sweet time and specific measures won't be needed at some point, but not because humankind demands it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They should say music venues, because no actual cultural venue in this country opens past half 6.

Advertisement