Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The crowds would flock to the games if they did move them across.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭brickster69

These vaccination passes have been in the planning for years now, even the most ardent anti conspiracy theorist will be hard pushed to deny it. The travel pass was just an excuse to get it into full use.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

If I couldn't get a ticket to a game i'd still go for the buzz in the pubs imagine the craic..!. I'd probably have tears of happiness rolling down my face as I hug random strangers in Irish Jerseys..or any nationality really haha. I'd even be smiling while standing in a long queue for the ladies...cos it would feel 'normal' 🤣!!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What’s the science behind closing time of 12pm. Will any journalist/reporter even question this?

We’re supposed to be led by science as has supposedly been the case along. Is there any science behind 12pm closing or is it solely another attack on the hospitality sector from someone who is anti alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

One possibility could be that frequent vaccination in fact reduces the natural immunity that comes from T-cells, and consequently more and more people contract the virus as T-cells become less effective.

is there any science on what 4 shots of mRNA do to the immune system? That was a rhetorical question btw.

in my opinion whoever recommends these vaccines to healthy young people and kids is a charlatan.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Lots of other countries in the world to visit......

I'd like to say good luck to the French, and off with them, but our clowns won't want to be left behind because, you know, they won't want to go from being the hardest in Europe to the softest 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What closing time would you suggest? And what's the science for it?

Alot of people Ferry to France but drive further on into Europe.., I do it my self every year and usually don't have accommodation booked as I just have my tent.. I wonder what would be the case be here if you're just effectively passing through...

UK truck drivers..there are lot of reasons people land in France, not just for tourism.. its the gateway to us here and UK too..Vaccine mandate in Canada-US caused major delays in deliveries etc..Will be interesting to see how it goes..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are we officially at the point where the general public has to argue their case not to be restricted?

Its not so long ago that Leo was saying this: "Freedom was hard won in our country, and it jars with us, to restrict and limit individual liberties, even temporarily."

Or is restriction now the default, there to stay unless we can justify otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I can see an Omicron (or whatever the next variant is) booster being available in September/October. And that will be the start of an annual Covid booster campaign for those at risk and healthcare workers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Things haven't been open past 12 in over two years. Unless you count the time they threw us a pity bone for 3 weeks. The time for no restrictions is now, people need a break. God forbid another flavour mutates and we're back to square one. No more phased reopening cos we heard it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think we could have a period each winter where we have 10pm shutting during xmas, to curb too much flu season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I got pilloried last year for daring to point out that the justifications for restrictions pre-vaccine availability would still apply post-vaccine, whenever the health service came under pressure for any reason. Yet here we are.

The same people who called me a doom monger then will probably do so again, but the same principle still applies today, you cannot clap on your balcony for the front line heroes and then ignore them for a normal trolley crisis.

We opened pandoras box and it is no surprise that we are struggling to close it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Maybe see it from their point of view.

The system pre lockdown forces them to commute long distances and miss out on the most important years with their children. Their children's lives were being damaged by a risible system.

Why would they rush out to help others, others that realistically could change career if they really wanted, to do something that would damage their children? I suspect there will be little remorse except maybe to the 18 -- 22 years old brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No no no my clapping only extended to covid related measures. Couldn't give a shoite otherwise.

Its takes some neck to pretend that any of what happened was to protect the children. Or is throwing children under the bus actually just for their own good?

Call me a cynic, but isn't it very, very convenient that as soon as PCR case positives begin to stabilise, NPHET promote adding antigen test results to bump up the figures to make the picture look uglier?

Of course, that means NPHET is likely to include this data as a reason for restrictions to continue beyond 31 January.

What a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Closing time IMO should revert back to normal pre pandemic.

Restrictions didn’t work over Christmas, we ended up being the 7th worst in the world per capita for cases, thankfully vast majority was a mild flu.

What’s the point in opening up to 11pm/12pm where businesses and hospitality are still not operating as normal. Nightclubs are still being punished and looks like they won’t be allowed open, when will they be allowed open? I say that as someone who’d never mind if I didn’t stand in another nightclub again btw.

Omicron is the common cold. Delta wasn't.

Netherlands had extreme restrictions and ended up no different to other European countries.

Johnson proved right not to restrict England, and Scotland and Wales - with restrictions - performed no better.

There is no argument for these restrictions to continue.

Medical bureaucrats and academic administrators love chewing over the data, spewing out more restrictions.

The real-life data shows that they're wrong - again, again, again, and again.

Wow!!.what an ignorant post...can change career if they really want to!? Why should they..? So some people can avoid a commute??. Maybe those people could really change their careers to work closer to their children!! If it was that easy.

What a bizarre and selfish response...the LAST person's view I will look at this from, with sympathy and compassion, are the people who were the least effected with their full time secure jobs on a laptop at home...thousands of peoples livelihoods and families have been destroyed as a direct result of these restrictions...

Children's lives damaged from a commute!!.. and people commiting suicide all over the country..give me strength..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I asked this question over the summer. I got one answer to it, who said September-October 2021 but I'll ask it again....

Under what circumstances do people believe that the NPHET Government will lift ALL restrictions?

It doesn't seem forthcoming. And seeing the France's Wish.coms version of Napoleon, giving large about 4month boosters, Vaccine mandates thoughout their sporting summer, the "conspiracy theory" of forever restrictions is looking more plausible.

If you don't think that there are intentions for forever restrictions from the controlling elements of the EU or NPHET, ask to yourselves "Under what circumstances do you believe the NPHET Government will life ALL restrictions in Ireland?". 2019 conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The smart thing to do now would be to go back to the October 22nd reopening ASAP, if cases continue to fall after that i can't think of a good reason for further restrictions. Unfortunately we have an old bald idiot in charge, sooner FFG go the better

A week or so ago, I would have said by April the majority of them will be gone.. but after all my negative article reading today (which put be in a cranky mood so won't be doing that again so soon) ..I'd say there are some things gonna be around forever more. Masks etc..maybe not by law..but in the form of recommendations and people will follow them, and it will be our new normal..

I'm hoping that we won't have entertainment, pub, restaurant curfews anymore..but I think hospital numbers over winters could possibly bring other restrictions back in the future.. I hope I'm very very wrong.

I also don't think the emergency legislation is just gonna expire and all that control lost..they'll hold onto that for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I agree but say as you said the sooner FFG go the better. Then what? SF in power who have been more in favour of restrictions than the current lot are in power. The govt has been diabolical but the opposition has been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's anybodies guess...but I'll go with mid-April.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

SF aren't the ones blindly following the recommendations of NPHET, no matter how off the wall they seem to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Restrictions starting to be lifted this week apparently:

Major easing of Covid restrictions expected this week (breakingnews.ie)

Advertisement