Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Wow!!.what an ignorant post...can change career if they really want to!? Why should they..? So some people can avoid a commute??. Maybe those people could really change their careers to work closer to their children!! If it was that easy.

What a bizarre and selfish response...the LAST person's view I will look at this from, with sympathy and compassion, are the people who were the least effected with their full time secure jobs on a laptop at home...thousands of peoples livelihoods and families have been destroyed as a direct result of these restrictions...

Children's lives damaged from a commute!!.. and people commiting suicide all over the country..give me strength..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I asked this question over the summer. I got one answer to it, who said September-October 2021 but I'll ask it again....

Under what circumstances do people believe that the NPHET Government will lift ALL restrictions?

It doesn't seem forthcoming. And seeing the France's Wish.coms version of Napoleon, giving large about 4month boosters, Vaccine mandates thoughout their sporting summer, the "conspiracy theory" of forever restrictions is looking more plausible.

If you don't think that there are intentions for forever restrictions from the controlling elements of the EU or NPHET, ask to yourselves "Under what circumstances do you believe the NPHET Government will life ALL restrictions in Ireland?". 2019 conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The smart thing to do now would be to go back to the October 22nd reopening ASAP, if cases continue to fall after that i can't think of a good reason for further restrictions. Unfortunately we have an old bald idiot in charge, sooner FFG go the better

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

A week or so ago, I would have said by April the majority of them will be gone.. but after all my negative article reading today (which put be in a cranky mood so won't be doing that again so soon) ..I'd say there are some things gonna be around forever more. Masks etc..maybe not by law..but in the form of recommendations and people will follow them, and it will be our new normal..

I'm hoping that we won't have entertainment, pub, restaurant curfews anymore..but I think hospital numbers over winters could possibly bring other restrictions back in the future.. I hope I'm very very wrong.

I also don't think the emergency legislation is just gonna expire and all that control lost..they'll hold onto that for a while...

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I agree but say as you said the sooner FFG go the better. Then what? SF in power who have been more in favour of restrictions than the current lot are in power. The govt has been diabolical but the opposition has been worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's anybodies guess...but I'll go with mid-April.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

SF aren't the ones blindly following the recommendations of NPHET, no matter how off the wall they seem to be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Restrictions starting to be lifted this week apparently:

Major easing of Covid restrictions expected this week (breakingnews.ie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From the end of the month is when it will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The leaks are out? Some difference from a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What part do you see as minor easing if the reports are true?

Going from 5000 to 51000+ people in the Aviva for the Six nations?

"It is also expected that full capacity will be permitted at outdoor sporting events, which will impact the upcoming Six Nations rugby championships and GAA league matches."

Local radio station here reporting

Tanaiste Leo Varadkar believes Ireland is coming to a point where it needs to "move on" from COVID-19 restrictions

I was getting excited before I realized they got the tanaiste's name wrong, oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the pressure was always going to be massive for 6 nations games. every other nation bar us would have full houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Unfortunately you are doing what the government and the media have done throughout the pandemic, you are making out that there is a single, militant anti-vax 'brigade' in society whose views are completely misaligned with the common good and who wish to cause trouble. This notion of a group with a common identity is simply not the case and this kind of labelling has been shown up to be gaslighting at its finest. In months and years to come we may even, with hindsight, respect how some of these people campaigned to protect our civil liberties.

Having said that, I have also gone along with the majority, to make life easier for myself and seem compliant. But as you say it's an absolute nonsense continuing to wear masks now as we are told that Omicron is unavoidable anyway (unless you are wearing one to protect from other respiratory illnesses, which may not be a bad idea).

France and Italy haven't confirmed ending of restrictions yet but the IRFU wouldn't hesitate to move games to one of the other home nations who gladly let the Irish in without any checks, I'd say it will be a consideration, however small

When are they proposing to remove the sport capacity limits? Could Munsters game this weekend be a full house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The establishment here would choke here before they’d give BoJo credit for anything. I remember the sneering of Pat Kenny about how stupid he was to go ahead with their ‘ Freedom Day’ back last Summer. Guess what, nothing terrible happened, not that Pat would ever acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Is there a joke buried in here that's gone over my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

I'd like to see restrictions go too now at this stage but even if nphet are conservative , restrictions like masks and certs are still in place in nearly every country right now, and some with more restrictions than us. The international political and scientific community and WHO still are still clasifying this as the pandemic stage for now and at least short term future....regardless of what you, Richard Hillman on boards.ie thinks or says. I'm not nphets biggest fan and as I said would like restrictions gone very soon but this isn't unique to ireland nor nphet regardless of what you or others on here inconsequential opinion is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Maybe if vote of no confidence in government and huge public unrest? I don't see this happening outside of food/energy shortages for anything in Ireland.

NHEPT get rebranded but remain. There will be mask restrictions on certain places for years to come, especially public transport and air travel.

Honestly unless a real populist movement starts we will have nanny state here for good, the coof was a bigger 9/11 event for bureaucrats/managerial elite types who will wield it over us for decades in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think the aftermath of 9/11 is a very useful example of what can happen during exceptional circumstances. The relationship between the public and states is temporarily suspended due to the ‘emergency’. The danger during this period is that entire political dispensations grow around these temporary conditions.

I’ve little difficulty in imagining that vaccine passports and masks will now be a permanent fixture in our lives to varying degrees going forward.

Not sure if serious.

You and the 10 people thanking your post do realise that the antigen results are from people who previously would have been sent for pcr and therefore would have been included in the numbers anyway? And that it is highly likely that not everyone is actually bothering to upload their antigen results? And that even with antigens included the numbers are falling rapidly?

No other country does it.

NPHET will always find a means to crowbar the figures up and up and up.

We've already peaked, apparently, and yet restrictions are likely to continue.

Pubs and bars close at 12pm? Where is the European precedent that shows that the 2 extra hours beyond this, prevent some large-scale tsunami of infection that will overwhelm a hospital after the peak has been reached?

Nowhere is the correct answer.

Again, call me a cynic but if evidence and logic is not behind the decision, then what the hell is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So, really if this goes ahead, our only remaining restrictions would be the 12am closing time and masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BoJo as an example of pandemic management is an extremely low bar and one reasonable gamble doesn't make it otherwise. We are all about the abundant caution, a phrase that has been repeated many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I was assuming OP was being sarcastic.... rereading....I'm unsure!

Post edited by Mr.Crinklewood on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’d say on balance he got more right than our lot. Our prolonged and extensive lockdown didn’t demonstrate any intelligence, just extreme risk aversion and arse covering.

Population density has a large bearing on this. England is very densely populated so that had a bearing on infection rates. I wonder if national death rates were adjusted for density and age profile, how they would look.

Advertisement