Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I've ordered several regular items from ebay and other uk sellers in the last several months, half of them have not arrived to me & i know they have been sent. One of them cost 7 euro got a letter from an post demanding 5 euro to release it. Not sure whats going on but at least i have info on one of the packages, the rest have just gone missing completely. All sent regular post. Something is definitely not quite right somewhere im thinking. Sending an item from the uk to ireland without tracking seems to have become very hit and miss lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Plenty of English people think Ireland is still part of their empire and forget that UK is no longer in the EU even though they voted for Brexit themselves.

Anything coming from Britain has to have customs declaration with taric codes.

It all needs clearance. An post charge €3.50

The vat is on the landed price. Eg, price of item plus delivery cost

Applies to all items of all value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Regardless of what's going on here, I'm surprised the amount of people jumping in to defend An Post. They are one of the most despicable organisations going - dare I say the new Eir.

They whined and complained for years saying "email is killing the business, nobody is buying stamps anymore boohoo now we have to close branches". Now that they have the lion's share of the amazon package market they fleece everyone left, right and centre with zero customer service. 6.50 for Addresspal with the "customs fee" to make a nice round 10€ figure on top of the import duty itself is ridiculous.

You could always set up an import service yourself.

They never complained about email. In fact they saw how parcels were going and invested heavily and unlike many national postal services, they are clear market leaders.

Local post offices have been loss makers for years and years. Same with small bank branches.

As for Amazon, maybe you don't read the news, but Amazon deliver a huge amount of their own parcels directly with their own substantial fleet of drivers. They also use DPD and ups for delivery.

But moan away.

Ha! You must be joking! Have you had your head under a rock for the last 20 years? They cried and wailed for years that the business was dying because of email and nobody sending letters anymore:

Mr Hogan said ComReg had failed to take into account An Post management's view of the grave position the company would be in without letter price increases and had instead sought to "micromanage" the company, although it had no such power.

ComReg had failed to recognise that the postal sector was unique, among regulated utilities, in that demand for its core product was in fundamental decline.

The internet is littered with articles about it

I also like how you talk as though I'm an outlier in my disgust at them as an organisation. Well unfortunately for you the trustpilot reviews leave a lot to be desired:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Comical. The bad reviews are almost all people who think they can still import from Non EU countries without duty it fees.

You didnt even look at the reviews. I looked at every one from Jan 1st of this year (20+ reviews) and not a single one of them was related to a misunderstanding of the import duty requirements.

Bizarre how people shill hard for this farce of an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Have you seen what the couriers are charging for customs admin? €10-15 are standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Absolutely ridiculous service from Address Pal/An Post. I'm still waiting on the one on the right hand side. Contacted them regarding customs as soon as they sent an email requesting payment for each item (like the same day). These orders are VAT exempt (whole foods) and I disputed the charges and their system does not like this. I've emailed them ( eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie) 12 times about these two orders, sent them copies of invoices multiple times, hearing back from different agents who aren't aware of the email conversation in the body of the emails below etc. There's no phone number to ring, the An Post customer service say the people to speak to can only be contacted by email. This has happened with every address pal delivery I've had from these whole foods suppliers since Brexit, but never with this much of a delay so I'm guessing Christmas crippled them. They seriously need to put a procedure in place for when VAT is not applicable to orders. I've had other orders shipped, customs paid and delivered in the mean time, but this is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

Cormie, can you not source the product within the EU?

I have switched all purchases from UK to EU suppliers where i can. I don't think , long-term, it is viable to continue buying from the UK

• Advertisement

Connie, considering you have been importing for many years I'm surprised you don't understand that whilst something maybe be exempt from vat, it still has to be cleared.

Also not all foods are exempt. It's a very specific list.

Did you even check what customs fees were asked for? Or just ignore it and think an argument with a customer service person would supercede customs?

Your supplier most likely was not very accurate with their description. "Food products" would not have been enough.

I'll definitely have to start looking at suppliers from mainland Europe instead alright, the previous times I'd ordered since Brexit it wasn't so bad, but this is ridiculous.

@silver2020 what's with all the assumptions? I do understand it has to be cleared of course, but there's clearly vast room for improvement with an post's system.

I know the foods shipped are exempt from VAT, they are orders from whole food suppliers and I know the customs fees asked for should not have been applied. I also haven't been arguing with anyone, there is no argument to be had.

The supplier provides a full list of what's in the package, and an post usually open it up anyway for inspection and it's very clear as to what's in the package.

This is simply a case of an post not having a system in place to efficiently deal with packages where import duties may not apply. As mentioned, I've had other orders shipped from the UK, long after these packages were shipped from the supplier, via address pal too, where customs have been applicable and I've paid customs and have received it already. So they can handle those efficiently but once they try charge customs on a package that shouldn't have customs charges applied, and this is disputed, there's clearly no efficient system in place to deal with this.

Exactly, it's not a customs issue, it's an An Post issue with them hoarding packages in a warehouse somewhere. I paid the fee and had the package released only to have it retained by An Post for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I got sent a free tshirt, socks diary etc from attending a community day event with a software company we use and they tried to charge me €9.19

I doubt Ill be receiving it as I am not going to pay for something that was free.

Being free to you doesn't stop it having a value for import purposes. Same with gifts from non EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

But the problems an Post are having is because of the Customs/Duty changes brought about by Brexit and the volume of shipment from the UK. Getting a fee of €3.50 per item means that any package that is 'atypical' is likely to be delayed as they get on delivering the 99% typical package.

I have suffered the same way last year. But I am now avoiding UK , and other non-EU, suppliers where I can.

Ultimately, I think that it is sensible, where possible, to source from EU suppliers.

I would agree with much of that but I continue to buy from UK sellers who are geared up for sale to the EU and do all the processes properly. I've had no delays in delivery at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

But being marketing material not otherwise available for sale does make it exempt

If it was foodstuffs I presume all the necessary paperwork was included including origin of ingredients.

Moving food from UK to EU is an utter nightmare.

Addresspal simply will not and should not have that expertise. I'm surprised that they have not excluded foodstuffs at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dollylama

I've had no issues with orders coming in from AliExpress or Wish despite the new VAT rule, brexit, shipping backlogs and what not. They still take anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks to get here but I've about 30 orders in since last summer and all of them received. AliExpress collects Irish or EU VAT at checkout as far as I know and I've never needed to pay VAT or import fees on receipt. Granted, I don't think any orders were over the €150 or whatever threshold for import duty.

Orders from UK companies on the other hand... and particularly those shipped by Fedex. It's a sh*tshow

I'm not sure about origin being included on the invoice, it may be on the packaging of the foods, but it's never been an issue before, I think this is just a case of the Christmas backlog and not having a system in place to deal with disputed charges than what's actually in the order though.

I think it's just going to be easier to find a supplier in NL or DE or somewhere instead from here on!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aliexpress made sure they had it all worked out in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

That's because AliExpress has an entity in Europe and registered for VAT. Some GB companies don't even know that Ireland is another country. Seller, if not reaching thresholds, doesn't have to register for VAT in Ireland. Some must but they don't. Some are slow to learn how to fill in the export papers...

Fedex are bad but better than nothing. DPD no longer do shipping between ROI and GB, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That doesn't change that fact that there's been massive issues since July with receiving orders from non EU countries. Look up Ebay forums, Amazon forums, Etsy forums, and you'll find large amount of sellers who tried to comply with everything, that still had all their packages sent back. I personally had 3 or 4 orders that were sent back, and I know of several places that outright stopped using AnPost and started using couriers instead. I've had so many issues with them, that I now use a UK address for all non EU mail, as I can't run a business dependent on AnPost.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dollylama

They do. I have a parcel coming from Amazon UK via DPD at the moment.. which is surprising as I haven't seen DPD on any Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon orders in some time

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i got a parcel from China i had thought it was from the UK, the cost of the item declared on the package was the original cost where i had bought a sale item for 75% less. customs emailed me to tell me they had it gave me a number to pay the tax on then i got another number i had to give to an post as otherwise they wouldnt deliver to me. so i did that i ended iup paying the original price in total so wasnt worth it . However i did contact the company in China and told them i was going to go to their facebook page and tell customers the name of the company was misleading and that they would be way over charged and guess what they asked me for the receipts of what i had paid to the customs and immediately refunded me. Win Win ME. Dont be afraid to call these companies out facebook has its uses !!

MOD - Moved as it was not relevant to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JoePirate

I received a parcel from amazon.co.uk yesterday. I thought all the customs were taken care of by Amazon but as it was a third party Amazon seller, which I guess doesn't include the customs, because I got a Customs Charge note in the postbox today from AnPost. But I've already got the parcel!

Anyone know what happens if I don't pay? I assume they'll send a bounty hunter or hit squad around eventually, but how long do I have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

They won't come looking for it, I had the same with a 3rd a party seller on Amazon and had a proper fight with them and Amazon to be refunded the charges. It was odd as usually Customer Service refund instantly once there is an issue but this took weeks.

Advertisement