Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Most of the batteries are IP65 rated, but the general installation route is internally inside the house. Converted attic eves are fine, as long as it's not ridiculous to wire gain access. Once you nail down a supplier (from the cost side), might be no harm to take a couple of pictures and ask them waht they prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

100% agreed re callbacks. It really works or it doesn't. And if it stops, it's more than likely just a tripped MCB or else a failed inverter (which I don't think a single person has had yet).

I think all callbacks are in the first week - for clarification stuff or CT clamp issues

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

For those who have a system that includes a battery, does it make sense to move to night meter and night rates or is it very dependant on usage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If you have a battery then yes it always makes sense to move to night rate and charge it... from about October to March.

After that it may be still helpful to charge it partially, but trickier to work out if you can fill battery with sunshine or not... that is very dependent on aspect and battery size etc. Some people default to 50% charge on spring and autumn but YMMV.

In winter it makes little sense to NOT charge on night rate. In fact it guarantees your battery gets used rather than leaving it empty for the winter from non use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those. All good prices.

2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Guys in your previous thread you mentioned a supplier of parts, batteries , kits etc..would anyone have a list if them ? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

two main ones would be solartricity.ie and midsummer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Anyone got feedback on dyness battery?

😎

No issues. Working fine for me since October install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

What someone should really be asking is as to what capacity is actually seen as being discharged - as to whether to get the whole 5kWh or maybe only 80% of it, or less

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gan-Ainm

Thanks all for the helpful info on these threads. I got 5 quotes back and this looks like the best so far.

• 370w JA panels x 12 (4.44 kW)
    • 5kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter
    • 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage
    • Eddie

Total Price after Grant deducted: 8,500

Any thoughts on the quality of the equipment and the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

The gear is ok but the price is nearly there but not quite.

Yeah as above, shouldn't be more than €7k.

Although I personally wouldn't go with GivEnergy. Only based on some bad reviews mind you, not personal experience.

LOL - It always sounds "defensive" to retort, but I actually got a GivEnergy inverter & Battery installed there about 3 months ago. I'd seen those 1-2 bad reviews previously to the install and was somewhat worried as it was in the period where I'd paid my money and was waiting for the install.

My fears were completely unfounded - and I'd be the first to put the boot in, where necessary :-)

It's been great. Battery performs very well (<10% loss which is excellent). Inverter telemetry and settings available on the web (1st class), so you don't have to climb up into the attic to change stuff. Can change the SOC levels, timings on my phone when down in Tescos.... etc. There is also a decent Web API for developing your own automation.

I'd have no recommendations recommending it as a platform - but to be fair, there really isn't much between any of them. Solis is another excellent brand, GrowWatt etc, they all pretty much "do what they say on the tin". Occasionally like any piece of electronic equipment, you'll see a failure. This happens with TV's, microwaves, failed hard drives in PC etc. but generally they all are quite reliable.

Yeah that's why I clarified that I haven't had personal experience, just basing on what I've noticed.

I've just seen lots of people posting online with issues. Sometimes minor, sometimes not. But way way more than other systems.

Ohh for sure mate - there's negative stuff out there, and again, I knew that it would sound "defensive" if I gave it a positive spin! It wasn't a crack at you, only to chuck in that I think they're fine :-)

Even on this forum I've seen loads of Solis issues. Some resolved by firmware, some not. Would that lead me to think that Solis was something to avoid - nahh. It's a solid inverter. Solis is probably the best selling in Ireland. Some things I don't like such as not being able to remotely control it, but for 99% of people that's totally fine.

Generally as far as I can see there isn't one particular brand to avoid across all of them. There are a few ones to potentially avoid, but more so on a value for money over the tech reliability. I've read some reports that some inverters (apparently) do better in low light/cloudy days, but can't confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mosney

Hey all,

MOD - No naming of companies folks, read the Charter.

Feel free to post details of the quote though and folk here will let you know if it sounds good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

As an FYI, when you apply for the grant online, you need to pick from the list of approved suppliers. There are loads there so should be easy to go through them all and contact them one by one if looking for quotes

@mosney edited your post, just tagging in case you don't get notification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shadowfax1

Thoughts please on this quote for a domestic solar system - the std price is €10,350 with out the Luna battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

3.65 kWp system and 5kWh battery for 12k AFTER grant?? Am I reading that right?

This could be in contention for the worst quote ever!

Nice of them to give a 2k discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Sweet mother of Jesus thats disgraceful.

You have come to the right place to find value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Robbery, but you are not alone in getting crazy quotes, I was quoted 6.5k for a 2.2 kwp non grant system😲 on a ground floor extension roof.The recent media attention regarding solar seems to have had a detrimental affect on pricing from some installers, grants should be in place to ease the burden on homeowners not to line the pockets of installers.

Holy crap lol

I think we have a winner.

The part that bothers me is that people might try and cut the cost of a quote like this down, by removing the battery.

It's literally double the cost of mine, but almost half the power and half the panels.

I'm afraid that my (personally quoted) €13.5K for a 3.5Kwp system with 2.8Kwhr battery (with EDDI!) after grant is still the winner. Partly the reason why I'm active on this forum trying to improve value for people.

Still to all readers old and new, there are decent suppliers out there. You'll be able to get a good system in place satisfying 70%+ of you electricity needs and it shouldn't involve giving up a kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Maybe you get to keep the 1 x scaffolding included in the quote 🤣 (although i doubt it costs that much!!!)

No doubt the discount is to make customer think they're getting a good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I got a quote yesterday,

3.2kw x 8 panels

2.4kw battery

hot water diverter

10,700 before grant .

I am just starting my research on getting a system so will be doing a lot of studying.

I presume that is on the high side?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes. The 'rule of thumb' would put the cost for that system at €4,700 after grant has been deducted. I've allowed €500 for an Eddi, allow less if iBoost or other cheaper diverter is supplied.

Costs have gone up in last few months, so rule of thumb is hard to achieve these days with smaller systems, but you should definitely be able to get that system for less than €6,000.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement