Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Best day of the month so far, still well short of some folk.

I was delayed getting home to plug in the car and exported half a unit, *sobs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

This is one nice curve that we' got today, exactly 13kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Best day so far this year :-) but gutted I didn't break the 5.0Kwhr.....

For the first time since I got the install done some smooth curves. Tomorrow looking good too. Them trees across the road could do with a can of petrol and a zippo from 2:30pm! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

Best day for a long while today.

All depends on where your measuring from. I didn't know what the convention was, but of course the sine of 80, is the same as the cosine of 10. But yeah, fair point duly noted to use the sun as the plane of reference.

Not sure what your are referring to though about the "theoretical increase production is only 1% at this time of year". Is that comment directed at me also? If so what was the 1% in reference to, you've lost me I'm afraid mate.

When I did some math, I was seeing ~20% production boost for Dec & Jan using the online calculators if you optimized your south facing panels angle for "wintertime", but maybe your referring to something else? Not sure.

20% isn't bad if it's easily achievable i guess. Something like a ground mount, course, you'd have to be careful about creating a "sail" out of the panels, so there is that. Normally I'd be against movable panels for the sake of "simplicity", but if it's easy and you had wind protection.....yeah, Id probably give it a lash. (Not applicable for me with my e/w split anyway)

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

17.3kwmph (😛) for today, best return so far, would have been even better except for a foggy start to the day, was after 10:30 before it was worth a dam.

Just a week and a half since install, but it's already looking like my biggest challenge with be maximising consumption rather than worrying too much about production. Had battery full by 2pm and was exporting to grid, even with 2 of us wfh. Haven't seen the bottom of the laundry basket since last summer, won't be bringing the Eddi into play until the weather improves and don't need the stove.

Yeah today was great. Ye guys with the south'ish facing panels are creating envy here!

Though not sure I understand your comment "won't be bringing the Eddi into play until the weather improves and don't need the stove." Or to put it another way, why wouldn't you have your Eddi stopping you from exporting to the grid? Isn't that sort of why you bought it? Could you clarify?

We have the stove on all day to keep the house warm and that also keeps the water hot. It's backed up by an oil boiler so it wouldn't be too often it would require a boost from the eddi.

Different story from May-September. Depend on the just the oil boiler to heat the water so hope to reduce that (oil) usage.

However, the meter wheel goes backwards when exporting so not wasting anything at the moment 🤫

Have a request in with my supplier for a night rate meter, so every chance when networks call to fit that they will cop that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Try two gaming rigs in the house and then complain about having too much power

I use my 3090 to heat up the house 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭championc

Swapping a rotating meter that goes backwards for a night rate one ?????

• Advertisement

Agreed. Surely better to be exporting when you're getting the benefit of a rolled back meter rather than getting a day/night, better daytime rate but diddly squat for the export?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

The reversible meter- every unit is equal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

@Jonathan Not aimed at you or anyone specific. I just saw it in a couple of places in the thread.

@bullit_dodger I meant 1% increase in production per day due to the sun being higher every day. It’s small as the angle of incidence is changing very slowly right now.

Gotcha - sorry I didn't make the connection there to the 1%. Yeah, we're right at the bottom plateau of that sine wave. Feck all changes per day now until the end of Jan, where it starts to pick up a bit of pace. Sill though mate, when March comes and we start to see the sun rising due east......our e/w split will start to pay dividends!

(a little unrelated) Came across this little guy earlier when browsing, I thought it kinda neat.

http://suncalc.net/#/53.3435,-6.2769,11/2022.01.17/23:34

quite dramatic how far north the sun rises on Jun 21!

Just checked my meter reading, not due yet but I was curious.

Day units since December 6th - 70

Night units since December 6th - 1056!

Have been thinking about that yesterday, is the gain from getting a night meter and being able to charge the battery at night for half price, better than the 'full' whack from exporting as it stands.

It's only really come to light yesterday, so haven't done the maths, but suspect cancelling the night meter may be a better option for now.

The math might be tricky to work out there. Probably this time of year the night meter would be better as you will be exporting little compared to the benefit of night rate, but come March-April......all those glorious units your exporting will be money in the bank.

Careful to keep an eye on it......you don't want the figures LOWER at the end of your bill than at the start of it. That might flag an alert with your provider to swap your meter. (Speculating, but hang onto it as long as you can - you are one of the lucky few!)

The Sun was in teasing form today…

Up and down like a jockeys giblets.

Still a good day despite the cloud and showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A game of two halves.....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

7.2kWh today but also breached 3kW barrier. In a month or less should be going at full throttle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Turned out to be a decent day yesterday especially compared to Tuesday.

Peaked at 5.77kW so touching the 6kW inverter limit.

Tough day on the production front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I actually did ok today. 2.8kwh with no sun all day! The diffuse light suited my panels :)

Similiar, 2.9kwh with cloud all day. Don't think the sun appeared at any stage. Didn't expect to have got that much when I checked in the evening.

Averaging 6.5kwh a day since the install two weeks ago. Almost 25% of overall usage. 3 especially sunny days bringing that up, but still good for January

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭The devils

Hi guys tried using the link below but im struggling - is there any other way of checking whats the best solar array formation (virtually)

Love the thread well done all - hopefully ill be joining yous all soon :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That seems to be one of the most accurate for Europe.

What's tripping you up? Maybe a screenshot or two and we'll get you sorted

Graememk,

This is a screen grab - When you go and start on the web-page

1. Do i go into pv performance tool and then follow this

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If you select the PV performance tool

Select location on map - Select Grid Connected tab

You can leave database as is and generally crystalline silicon is ok for the panels. Building integrated assuming they are going on your roof. Enter the slope of the roof and the angle(azimuth) it is facing. Follow there guidelines for azimuth where south is 0°. Hit the visualize results and this will generate the report which you can view or print out.

• Advertisement

The ALM - Thanks for your help brilliant link thanks again :)

Advertisement