Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

DP

Post edited by valoren on

If they are invited to an official gig in the UK, such as the queen's celebration for whatever, then Harry will be afforded protection, and as his family is.with him, they will get it by default.

If they pop over on a private visit, they have to provide their own security. But anything official, to do with the royal family, he will get it. Hence why he got it for the state funeral of his grandfather, but not the unveiling of a statue for his mother.

Sufficient income to sustain their lifestyle. Their mansion cost $16 million, about the same as Harry's inheritance.

With this $120 million in the bank then they can surely hire the biggest, baddest and bestest security detail money can buy to ward off all these neo nazis loitering on street corners when they visit Granny. No need for RPO's so why is his security even newsworthy? IMO they are going broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As Harry rightly put it, he was born with a target on his forehead and it can't be removed. He didn't ask for it and he should be entitled to protection when he visits the UK as to say such twaddle as 'he chose to leave' implies the RF should be thought of in the same vein as a kind of Mafia - try and leave and enjoy a short life. The idea being expressed here that someone should stay chained to the family firm or die is ripe.

Just look at that synagogue thing in the US. There would be UK moslems salivating at a chance to get a crack at any of the Sussexes. That danger is not of Harry's making and he can't unmake it.

The request is perfectly reasonable and justified and he's offered to pay for it. To say the request opens the door for anyone to hire the Met is ludicrous, as he's not anyone in the same way none of the royal family are. It's all a great argument to ditch the monarchy altogether but that doesn't change the present reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well there's an easy way to find out, provide the security and call the bluff, if that's what you think it is. Harry can skip the Jubilee but he is proabably thinking of his Grandmother's funeral, which can't be far off, and the natural inclination to want his kids to have met her and vise versa.

Perhaps Gran could pick them up from the airport, then they wouldn't need security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calm down.

You made 2 false claims.

The alleged non sweating one pays his own way and the ginger one has no income.

Both false.

The rest of your ranting and raving is just an unhealthy obsession with celebrity based largely on your imagination and too much Daily Mail, scaled up to certain malcontents you can see why security would definitely be a requirement for these celebrities.

Article in yesterdays Mail-Charles has offered to put him up when he comes over to the uk to visit- that would mean he has protection- however Harry’s not having any of it and wants the judicial review.

What a spoilt individual- at this stage you can hear Megan’s whispering into Harry’s ear- he really likes washing his laundry in public- not surprised if many of the RF give him a cold shoulder-go to USA if you want Harry but stop making life difficult for those who choose to remain

I think the big problem is that the British Royal Protection Force aren’t available for rent. There’s nothing stopping Harry’s own protection team accompanying them to the UK, just leave their guns behind.

That’s what I would have thought too. If they’re there for the jubilee celebrations they will be in the company of the entire royal family and automatically be in the security protection circle. I’m sure they’d be offered accommodation on royal grounds too.

It then depends on whether they come over for the purpose of seeing family only, some of who haven’t got long left in this world, or if they also want to do a bit of sightseeing too like Madame Tussauds, The London Eye or a west end musical. Perhaps they could take their nephews and niece with them as they have protection and they can use them as a sorta human shield 😂

If they stay with Charles, wouldn’t they be under the protection of his security team?

Prince Charles has invited Prince Harry and his family to stay with him in the UK in the hope of meeting Lilibet for the first time, it emerged tonight.

The Prince of Wales is yet to see his granddaughter face-to-face, after she was born in California in June last year.

The offer, which would be the first time the family have fully come together since Harry and Meghan decided to quit as working royals, was made just before Christmas, according to the Mirror.

However, his son's refusal to return without a substantial level of security from the Met Police is said to have put the reunion in doubt.

In recent months, the family have communicated via a series of 'good natured' calls, sources told the paper.” https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10411709/Prince-Charles-invites-Prince-Harry-family-stay-hope-meeting-Lilibet-time.html

• Advertisement

This is a discussion forum and you can think my input is ranting and raving if you like. Ok so Andrew get's police protection. There are calls for it to be revoked/given up and I agree with that. He's been sent to coventry. To re-iterate, it's the home office who decide on this and not the RF. My point was that it's possible that he get's RF paid for security as well.

In terms of income then it’s not exactly a regular income as they likely have deliverables to actually get that income. It’s tumbleweeds from them in terms of content and any advances they got are likely already swallowed up with expenses. Don't go dressing up my takes on this as hate or being influenced by the likes of the DM. This is slow motion car crash stuff from two entitled people who fumbled the privilege they had and their textbook victim playing where everyone but themselves are seemingly to blame is fascinating as to how deluded they are. 

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I wonder would they arrive complete with cameras and (not so well) hidden microphones. 😂 Gotta get some content for Netflix after all.

'There would be UK moslems salivating at a chance to get a crack at any of the Sussexes.'

There's some serious prejudice right there.

If the Charles offering to host the family reports are in anyway true then it's a shrewd move. Obviously he'd be aware of Harry's machinations with the Home Office. It's probably a magnanimous offer which makes Charles look good in PR terms but, crucially, it would put the ball back in Harry and Meghan's court. They'd have to drum up a coherent reason to reject any such offer. If they want to be safe as per their claim then they'd accept Charles' offer. RPO's aplenty and privacy galore. If, however, they are after the status and the money they'd save as IPP's along with the pomp and ceremony deriving from that (e.g. motorcades) then they can't accept. Charles would presumably prohibit them bringing a camera crew. He'd be controlling their media exposure. Presumably Charles knows this as is and that accepting his offer is a non-runner anyway. If it's true then the inevitable excuse given why it was refused will be interesting.

I’ll bet that thought never crossed their minds. 😇😉

Again, the headline fee is not what is handed over in one fell swoop. He'd be given an advance, he'd be given money for delivering a final manuscript, he'd get money from sales. It's all drip-drip and my point is that in spite of money coming in that manner you can still go broke when your expenses/debts are more than what's coming in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You mean he earns an income? Are we agreed on that now?

What evidence have you that suggests he is going broke or he can't service his debt?

From what is available in the public domain strongly suggests media companies are throwing huge amount of cash at him to take advantage of his celebrity, personally I can't see how anyone would see that as an alien concept.

Now if you have tangible evidence to the contrary that he is going broke I'll gladly take a peek.

All the evidence suggests since moving to America he is up to his ginger bollicks in cash.

Again, that's not my opinion.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's about the image, the Sussex Brand, isn't it? Not having police protection is a visible reminder that they are less royally royals, and they hate that. They want to arrive back in a shiny cavalcade of armoured range rovers, along streets closed off with crowds waving their printed tea towels. I'm sure if they just wanted to visit family, Kate could easily nip to Heathrow to pick them up after doing the school run any morning they wished.

That's where the divergence is - the RF are trying to tone down the ostentatiousness of their every day life, because they know it's unpalatable to the public. They can't do much about the elaborate palaces and glitzy events but they seem to be trying to go "Oh look, we go on Easyjet and shop in Tesco, just like you lot" and when Harry was single, he portrayed himself as very much an ordinary bloke who happened to be part of an extraordinary family. He was at pains to show himself as an ordinary squaddie who wasn't any different from the rest of his regiment during two tours of Afghanistan. I'd say that was more dicey security-wise than the trip from the Airport to Highgrove.

So what has changed? Is it him becoming a dad that's got him thinking about the risks of who he is? Or was it easy to pretend to be ordinary with the safety net of royal protection.

For Harry and Meghan it kind of feels that they are utilising the "fake it till you make it" mentality to the maximum. The North America tour in 2011 by William and Kate was apparently a great success, and particularly when they went to LA they had A List big hitters like Reese Witherspoon fangirling on them, it's not a stretch to think that Harry and Meghan thought that they would experience the same treatment when they moved to California, and had they got their wish of part time royal status, with all the status and perks and none of the duties, they probably would have, and resultant deals and lucrative collaborations with people in the industry would have poured in for them.

• Advertisement

With some time on my hands from a speculative high level there are;

Incomings:

CHIMPO role. ($250k per year let's say)

Netflix deal advance ($12 million i.e. 10%) This is used to pay production costs, crew salaries and expenses so not a true income.

Spotify deal - $1.8 million advance. Nothing for 2021 as no output.

Book deal $2 million advance in 2021.

MoS privacy damages - £1

MoS copyright damages - "substantial"

Speaking gigs.

Harry inheritance - let's say $15 million.

Bench sales (?)

Assets - circa $30 million

Outgoings:

Security - a reported $3 million per annum. (Taking the NYC cavalcade tour into account there)

Mortgage downpayment - $1.5 million

Staff and maintenance of mansion - $500k

Income tax (12.3%) $2 million for 2021

Annual property tax - $150k

Time magazine cover - $1.5 million

Sunshine Sachs - let's say $2 million

Legal fees (a lot, let's say another $2 million)

Mortgage $1 million a year.

Liabilities - $14 million.

So in this back of the envelope exercise they have $16 million in net worth but with recurring multi million expenses. To clarify, no one knows their finances but them but it's not hard to discern that they can go broke with such expenses.

I am sure that the memoir will be a best seller if it has plenty of tea spilling in it and that will bring in more millions but at a greater cost to his family relationships and his own future marketability. I don't see any sustainable income stream which they need to maintain their lifestyle. That's why I think they're going broke. Getting IPP status would be a god send for their security expenses. That and a blockbuster book will keep the wolf from the door.

So no tangible evidence?

What's the 1.5 million "Time Magazine Cover"?

That they spent that to get on the cover. An "era of visibilty" expense via Sunshine Sachs. The list is back of the envelope stuff along with reports of what they've signed on for but allowing for how the payments of those deals work in reality (i.e. drip drip).

Really, that's an actual fact is it?

You'll have no problem linking to citation so, in your own time.

Also which legal fees are you talking about?

Judicial Review would not cost anything close to 2 million.

I was under the impression that such gigs were paid for by the publication? My gob is well and truly smacked!

You think a PR firm worth their salt would let something like their clients having to pay to be on an influential list, a magazine become factual? Would defeat the purpose of doing PR. Like everything Sussex it's difficult to get anything factual and that leads to speculation. It's smoke and mirrors just like how they weren't paid for the Oprah sit down. Yes, they wouldn't get an appearance fee and can say truthfully that they weren't paid but who is to know that they didn't get a cut of the advertisement fees for those lucrative 30 second spots (i.e. paid but indirectly so). I don’t know about you but if I was going to throw my family under a bus then I’d want to be handsomely rewarded for it which I am sure they were. Same for the Time magazine cover. Influential? Still scratching my head about that. They (and indeed Time themselves) were roundly mocked for it and thus comes the speculation that they paid for it. They needed good PR and were willing to pay for it is my hunch.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Me too. But it makes sense. If they are desperate for YOU to be on the cover, they'll offer you big money. If YOU are desperate to be on the cover, then the reverse applies I suppose.

In an influencer/Kardashian world it's all about buying the followers or press coverage you want in the hope that it translates to deals and actual cash in the bank when people think that your marketability is higher than it is.

But you stated as a fact, so you should have no problem backing up your claim?

Or will we just remove that from the back of the envelope expense list?

So now they got paid from an interview, that's more income right?

You should update your list to reflect it.

Harpo received circa $9 million from CBS. The 30 second ad spots cost $325k. Three five minute ad breaks per hour so $6.5 million from ads. Let’s say Oprah is being generous and Harry and Meghan (who didn't get paid to "appear" lest we forget) get 50% of the ad costs so that's $3.1 million after income tax. Whaddya know, that's their security paid for a year! Better get some IPP status back because the Oprah gig, and the money deriving from it, was just a once off.

• Advertisement

So they get paid 3 million to get interviewed by one of the most popular / influential people in America but pay 1.5 million to appear on a magazine cover, which lets be kind had it's demise a long time ago.

That makes no sense does it?

Either way you have gone from stating they have no income to they are earning secret millions.

I think we will leave it there.

Advertisement