Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing SIRO ONT ethernet cable

Options
  • 10-04-2021 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I can replace the ethernet cable (longer one) without taking the entire ONT off the wall? I've tried pushing the cover off the hinge but it really doesn't budge much. Surprised it's this awkward!

Picture of the ONT/wires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Does anyone know if I can replace the ethernet cable (longer one) without taking the entire ONT off the wall? I've tried pushing the cover off the hinge but it really doesn't budge much. Surprised it's this awkward!

Picture of the ONT/wires.

No issues with doing that. you should be able to unplug the black one and plug in the yellow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ah, I didn't make myself clear. I mean to take the old one out and replace it with the new one so I can close the lid. The new one is already connected. There isn't enough space to replace them though. So I just have this old cable hanging there and the cover open.

Ah, I didn't make myself clear. I mean to take the old one out and replace it with the new one so I can close the lid. The new one is already connected. There isn't enough space to replace them though. So I just have this old cable hanging there and the cover open.

I think I had to break off the clip on the cable end to get it out through the gap (seeing as I wasn't going to be using that cable again anyways.)

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think I had to break off the clip on the cable end to get it out through the gap (seeing as I wasn't going to be using that cable again anyways.)
    Yeah but that doesn't help getting a new one in so I guess I'm stuck with drilling/cutting the unit. Such poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Yeah but that doesn't help getting a new one in so I guess I'm stuck with drilling/cutting the unit. Such poor design.

You'd be far better just buying a RJ45 crimp tool, pull the wire through without the connector then crimp one on. Easy job, 10 mins, loads of youtube videos and probably 15 euro on amazon for a crimper and some connectors.

• Advertisement

m99T wrote: »
    You'd be far better just buying a RJ45 crimp tool, pull the wire through without the connector then crimp one on. Easy job, 10 mins, loads of youtube videos and probably 15 euro on amazon for a crimper and some connectors.
    I already have a cable of the correct length connected in, the hole for the cable just needs to be a bit wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I already have a cable of the correct length connected in, the hole for the cable just needs to be a bit wider.

Yeah, I guess you have a point, would be easier to even take the thing off the wall instead of crimping.

Ahhhh, I see your issue. I broke the old one to get it out and persuaded the new one through the hole with a lot of wiggling. I had 2 new ones, one couldn't make it in, the other could.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Should you use a crossover cable for this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Shouldn't be needed (are they at all anymore?). I've been using a normal Cat6 cable for this without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Most old-style crossover cables only have the orange and green pairs crossed, so this would make things worse. It would only work at 100Mb/s. Crossover cables are very rarely needed anymore.

I replaced the cable on my SIRO ONT and didn't have to drill anything. I can't remember how I did it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

So that cover, pull it all the way down, push the left and right bits out so that they're out of their clips and proceed to close the cover around 45 degrees and it should pop off

Advertisement